New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

GraysonPeddie

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  9:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Click to see GraysonPeddie's MSN Messenger address
I want Insteon Templinc that's not possible to do with Elk M1 Gold running exposed wires throughout my apartment. I like to be able to turn on the space heater when the temperature drops to a certain point before it gets cold during the night. That way, I don't have to use the central heater that costs too much electricity to run.

Update:

WOOT! 31st page!!!

Using Vista Business for webserver until I get WS08 Web Edition.
Proud-owner of PLM!

I'm a computer programmer (Visual Studio 2005 with C#/ASP.net/SQL Server 2005 Express).

Edited by - GraysonPeddie on 11/21/2008 9:44:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

upstatemike
Average Member

188 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  12:33:19 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sub-Routine

When you use a switch as a scene controller it doesn't make sense (to me) to have a level indicator.

I have one no-load switch that controls five lights with individual levels.

Rand

Use an Icon switch. If you need to match the LED color then use a SwitchLinc with an Icon paddle.
Go to Top of Page

Phoenix96

36 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2008 :  11:56:26 AM  Show Profile
I would really like to have LampLinc or ApplianceLinc modules that can handle more than 300/480w of incandescent lighting. It seems like I'm constantly running up against the load limitations with these modules.
Go to Top of Page

Indurain

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  8:48:59 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone suggested Insteon-enabled smoke and/or carbon monoxide detectors in the past?
Go to Top of Page

Andyvan
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  5:32:34 PM  Show Profile
Sorry if this has been covered (only read about 1/2 of the 31 pages).

An outdoor switch, similar to the Black & Decker Freewire "Outdoor Lamp Receiver FWLROD". This makes controlling the Christmas lights much easier. For now I'm using one of these B&D switches, but since they're X10 only, I can't use my RemoteLinc and have to use my ControLinc. X10 is flaky!
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11449 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  7:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Andyvan

Sorry if this has been covered (only read about 1/2 of the 31 pages).

An outdoor switch, similar to the Black & Decker Freewire "Outdoor Lamp Receiver FWLROD". This makes controlling the Christmas lights much easier. For now I'm using one of these B&D switches, but since they're X10 only, I can't use my RemoteLinc and have to use my ControLinc. X10 is flaky!

You might want to look at this topic http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4765

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

Indurain

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  4:46:36 PM  Show Profile
How about adding a female plug for an AC adapter on the battery-operated Insteon items? I would like to get the motion detector and magnetic switches, but I dislike replacing batteries on anything (my kids' battery-operated toys drive me up the wall) and prefer an option to plug in an AC adapter. I can certainly make the mods, but if they were already included it would save me the hassle of coming up with a graceful solution.
Go to Top of Page

Zellarman
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  1:31:18 PM  Show Profile
Sensors, Sensors, Sensors!

Motion detector
photo sensor
temperature sensor
smoke detector
CO detector
rain sensor

all wired of course, so I won't have to change batteries

AND an IR bridge, in and out, so an all off button can also take care of A/V equipment
Go to Top of Page

GraysonPeddie

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  2:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Click to see GraysonPeddie's MSN Messenger address
Mm... I prefer the wireless temperature sensor where I can mount it anywhere in the wall.

It'd be nice if SmartLabs can develop a combination motion/temperature sensor, but I'm not sure if it's possible to have two Insteon addresses in a single enclosure.

But if it's possible, then how about a SwitchLinc having a motion sensor, a 6-button KPL with a motion sensor, etc.?

Using Vista Business for webserver until I get WS08 Web Edition.
Proud-owner of PLM!

I'm a computer programmer (Visual Studio 2005 with C#/ASP.net/SQL Server 2005 Express).
Go to Top of Page

lgarcia
Average Member

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  09:08:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit lgarcia's Homepage  Send lgarcia an AOL message
1st. How about be able to turn on devices using the ramp rates as a second parameter & individually and not use groups?

2nd. Links to device that only respond to 'off' or 'on' commands. Example, Let say your walk in closet is inside your master bathroom and you want to be able to turn off the closet's light when you turn off the master bathroom but not turn on the closet when you turn on the master bathroom light?

Luis

Can I buy just one more Insteon device?

SDM/VB2008/PHP/Flash and other goodies
http://pixiescorner.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  11:16:16 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lgarcia

2nd. Links to device that only respond to 'off' or 'on' commands. Example, Let say your walk in closet is inside your master bathroom and you want to be able to turn off the closet's light when you turn off the master bathroom but not turn on the closet when you turn on the master bathroom light?

I just have a button on my KPL that is in non-toggle mode that I programmed as "Bathroom All Off". That turns off all the lights in the bathroom but obviously won't turn on if any of the individual lights are turned on.
Go to Top of Page

oronomus
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  11:26:18 AM  Show Profile
In-wall volume control to replace the standard resistor-based volume control. Several companies are making IR based digital in-wall volume controls (Google Acoustic Research Digital IR In-Wall Volume Control), but I would like to see one that can be controlled through a home automation system, such as might be feasible through the ISY99i. That way you could set volume "scenes" with the exact volume control assigned to each room.
Go to Top of Page

mitchmitchell1616
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2008 :  11:07:56 PM  Show Profile
How about a client-server version of Houselinc2? That way we can have the GUI running on a laptop or other PC while the server talks to the USB PLM.

I am using HouseLinc2 to manage links on my network but experimenting with an ISY since it's UI is web accessible. Houselinc? has a good administrative UI but not much in the way of a non-administrative UI for the end user. ISY has that feature though it is very plain vanilla.

I'm just tired of having to remote desktop to the computer running Houselinc2 in order to change links.

Go to Top of Page

elsbree

22 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  11:20:46 AM  Show Profile
My top requests:

• "Socket Rocket"-like LampLinc modules

• Lower-cost no-load SwitchLinc modules

• No-neutral-wire SwitchLinc modules

• Ability to build and upload custom pages to SmartLinc

• SmartLinc with sunrise/sunset events and day-of-week conditions

And how about this for a futuristic concept? Dimmable energy-efficient LED lightbulb with integrated lamp module. It'd be great to have these in various form factors, such as standard bulb shape, floodlight, etc. The expense probably wouldn't be justifiable in a conventional incandescent bulb, but since LED bulbs are supposed to last for years...
Go to Top of Page

jckinneman
Average Member

62 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  12:25:14 PM  Show Profile
Rechargeable RemoteLinc:

After changing the batteries in several of my remotelincs, just wanted to re-post suggestion that Remotelinc be rechargeable and when in their charger AWAKE instead of SLEEP mode. Being awake while in their charger would allow Houselinc and other software to keep them updated with changes instead of having to get each remotelinc, wake them up and then do any downloads/updates. And being rechargeable would save a lot of batteries and inconvenience. RemoteLince give no indication that their batteries are going dead so you usually find out in the middle of the night or other inopportune time.

JK
Go to Top of Page

MikeB
Advanced Member

USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  02:31:36 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Rechargeable RemoteLinc:

After changing the batteries in several of my remotelincs, just wanted to re-post suggestion that Remotelinc be rechargeable and when in their charger AWAKE instead of SLEEP mode. Being awake while in their charger would allow Houselinc and other software to keep them updated with changes instead of having to get each remotelinc, wake them up and then do any downloads/updates. And being rechargeable would save a lot of batteries and inconvenience. RemoteLince give no indication that their batteries are going dead so you usually find out in the middle of the night or other inopportune time.

I like it.

Michael D. Boulanger

interfaceGO
www.interfaceGO.com
Go to Top of Page

Senji323
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  7:33:40 PM  Show Profile
An RF temperature sensor!!!
Go to Top of Page

devon
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  08:57:53 AM  Show Profile
Combination ToggleLinc and Motion detector. We have these at the office (just not X10/INSTEON) - a small motion detector is placed just above or below the actual switch. It could be powered without batteries and either control the switch directly, or be used in other procedures.

I think this is a more appealing solution compared to mounting a separate module, having to maintain it with new batteries, and requiring RF access points.
Go to Top of Page

sroussey

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  11:50:39 AM  Show Profile
Why is there no OutletLinc DIMMER?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  12:22:51 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sroussey

Why is there no OutletLinc DIMMER?

Not code-compliant--if you plugged a non-dimming appliance into it by accident, you'd break things and possibly start a fire.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

lgarcia
Average Member

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  1:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit lgarcia's Homepage  Send lgarcia an AOL message
For the outletlinc I would have like to see when you press the button on/off button below the oulet that it sends the status to the 'responder.

Luis

Can I buy just one more Insteon device?

SDM/VB2008/PHP/Flash and other goodies
http://pixiescorner.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

bslater
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  06:58:04 AM  Show Profile
I know its been listed before, but I would really like a 2-load device to handle ceiling fan/light combinations. Most of the time I don't have room to break out the loads to two different switches.
Go to Top of Page

w4wn
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  4:09:08 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jckinneman

Rechargeable RemoteLinc:

JK

Now that's a good idea!
Go to Top of Page

mrxmas
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  12:08:49 PM  Show Profile
I Would like to see a Program and Interface like Houselinc 2 and PLM that doesn't require the computer to be left on 24/7. Something that could be downloaded to the interface. I like the Ideas and features that I see in the decription of Houselinc but don't want to leave the computer running. Steve
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11449 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  2:56:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by mrxmas

I Would like to see a Program and Interface like Houselinc 2 and PLM that doesn't require the computer to be left on 24/7. Something that could be downloaded to the interface. I like the Ideas and features that I see in the decription of Houselinc but don't want to leave the computer running. Steve

Done! http://www.smarthome.com/_/ProductResults.aspx?Ntt=isy

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

bslater
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2009 :  07:16:33 AM  Show Profile
I love the idea of the custom-etched keypad buttons, paddles, etc but can't justify close to $6 for each button. Why doesn't Smarthome take a poll of those most common naming conventions and mass-produce packs of them? For instance, a set of 20 keypad buttons custom etched with "Living Room", "Kitchen", "Master Bed", etc. While I may not use all of them, it would probably still be economical buying a large set due to the lower costs to manufacture.

So, instead of $50 for an 8-button keypad, I pay $20 for 15-20 "non-custom" etched keys of which I might find 5 or 6 to use.. and can just pay the normal $6 for anything really "custom".
Go to Top of Page

instaman
Average Member

149 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  04:36:50 AM  Show Profile
Would love to see a new Timerlinc ll device that could do more than one group, maybe four would be nice. This is a very simple and user friendly device that anyone can understand, no computers or programming skills necessary. More than one group would allow interfacing shades and lights on different timers allowing shades to re-open in the mornings and get different lighting scenes to provide a more "at home look". It's already got all the other bells and whistles I wanted. Randomizing times, user battery replacement, DST, and best of all, pretty incapable of arbitrarily reprogramming weird anomalies in your system unlike those programs that are capable of such. And yes, although one could use two devices to achieve such, we're all aware of the prospect of signal cancellations from two simultaneous transmissions. One device would be so much sweeter.
Go to Top of Page

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  4:53:50 PM  Show Profile
I would like to see an Insteon controllable Coax outlet That way I can disable the television at times when the kids are supposed to be studying. Perhaps it could look like an Outletlinc but instead of two power outlets, one would be a coax connector since the thing will need power to go to it anyway. Or have one is concerned about possible powerline interference with the TV signal it could be controlled by dry contact connectors connected to an I/O linc.
Go to Top of Page

kd5crs
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  2:52:03 PM  Show Profile
I've got a super simple one, you've already done all the hard parts!

Take your TriggerLinc. Hook up a button instead of the magnet switch. Close the contact (push the button) to send an on/off toggle. Put it in a pretty plastic housing. For bonus points, make it look like a Switchlinc as much as possible.

Ta-daa, Insteon wireless wall switch. I would buy several of those. Who doesn't have a room which needs a better positioned wall switch? It would let me ditch my KR15a's (the X-10 Big Red Buttons).
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2009 :  4:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
A chime module would go well with a big button. Just a simple plug-in module that would serve like an Insteon-triggered doorbell. Equivalent to the X10 http://www.smarthome.com/2045/X10-Chime-Module-RSC15-SC546A-PHH02-/p.aspx

I could probably do it with an IOLinc and the chime from a regular doorbell and some wiring, but easier to just have it designed for the purpose.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page