Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

tandar
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  07:59:37 AM  Show Profile
I'm looking for a light switch that controls a load and monitors line voltage. This way I would only have to replace one of the switches in a 3 or 4-way circuit.

In other words, I'm looking for a Insteon switch with a 4th wire that is connected to the incoming traveler wire from the other 1 or 2 standard switches. When hot, turn load on, when not, turn load off. This would minimize the costs of replacing every single standard switch with an Insteon switch. I know this get complicated with differing wiring schemes but could be useful for most applications. I would actually purchase more switch modules because now, I can't justify spending $130 just to control one 4-way light. But if I could control more lights with less switches, I'd automated the whole house.

If anyone already has a hack for this - Please share. Thx
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8594 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  08:14:39 AM  Show Profile
Newer SwitchLinc Relays and InLineLincs have a sense wire that might be used that way, but this technique is not recommended or supported. If the sense becomes out of sync with the mechanical switch, you would need to flip an attached mechanical switch twice to activate the relay; you would be limited in how you placed the SwitchLinc relative to the load; you could only use a relay, not a dimmer; and you wouldn't have status indicators on any associated mechanical switches.

One of the best features of Insteon is that, when installed as directed, device control is pretty intuitive--pressing the top of a switch turns it on, bottom turns off, hold brightens or dims. Having to flip a switch twice is just the opposite of intuitive and seems a high price to pay to save $35 (the price of an Icon Dimmer switch used as a slave).

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

tandar
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  09:36:18 AM  Show Profile
Tfitzpati8,
Wow - that has got to be the quickest turn around time on a new feature request! I've been busy buying and installing Icon dimmers and relays I never noticed this new feature in the SwitchLincs. This is exactly what I was looking for.

You point out some good caveats but since I've got a number of 4-way circuits I'm compelled to test this approach. At the very least it seems like a good upgrade path.

The status feature is not that important on all switches, especially when the light is visible from all 3 switches. On/Off/On may irritate the wife, but so does spending $$. I'll be curious to see how often the switches go out of sync. The dimming is not an issue since most lights are CFL.

Basically I'll just re-wire the 4-way circuit as a 3-way that controls the SwitchLink via the sense input. I'll report progress on a new thread

Are there technical reason why dimmers aren't available or are the coming soon? Thx
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8594 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  11:44:19 AM  Show Profile
The sense circuitry on the ILL and SwitchLinc Relay v.5 was designed to integrate with motion or occupancy sensors, not traditional two-or three-way switches. What you propose requires a more complicated (i.e. more expensive) installation and leaves you with a reduced feature set, just the opposite of what you accomplish using recommended Insteon-compatible switches.

Adding Sense circuitry would be a downgrade. Installation would be more complicated, the extra wiring would require a deeper electrical box, and the result would be less intuitive. Adjusting the dimmer would require some kind of weird switch pattern, seeing as how your triggers are toggle switches and existing Insteon dimmers use momentary button presses to brighten and dim. Tech support on installations would be a major headache, and the sales price would have to be higher to fund the additional cost. It's far better and more flexible to install the equipment as designed, a SwitchLinc or Icon Dimmer at each control location.

Go to Top of Page

wwat
Average Member

109 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  07:56:36 AM  Show Profile
Venstar Thermostat Adaptor.

The new Rev. 2 Adaptor opens up a few more possibilities but didn't finish the job. Why not make the humidity writable, why can't we read/write the filter and UV light alerts. It would have been nice to give us the ability to set the thermostat time. Why didn't you open up all the settings while you were at it, seems like the job is only half done and now I'll have to purchase another future revision when it becomes available.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11447 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  3:49:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by tandar

Tfitzpati8,
Wow - that has got to be the quickest turn around time on a new feature request! I've been busy buying and installing Icon dimmers and relays I never noticed this new feature in the SwitchLincs. This is exactly what I was looking for.

You point out some good caveats but since I've got a number of 4-way circuits I'm compelled to test this approach. At the very least it seems like a good upgrade path.

The status feature is not that important on all switches, especially when the light is visible from all 3 switches. On/Off/On may irritate the wife, but so does spending $$. I'll be curious to see how often the switches go out of sync. The dimming is not an issue since most lights are CFL.

Basically I'll just re-wire the 4-way circuit as a 3-way that controls the SwitchLink via the sense input. I'll report progress on a new thread

Are there technical reason why dimmers aren't available or are the coming soon? Thx

If you understand the wiring of multi-way switches, it's should be easy. Install the Insteon switch with sense in place of the load switch. Connect the load wire of the standard multi-way set-up to the sense wire and the real load to the load wire.

The status of the mechanical switches is irrelevant. Three and four-way switches don't have ON/OFF!

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8594 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  5:52:55 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews
The status of the mechanical switches is irrelevant. Three and four-way switches don't have ON/OFF!

The mechanical switch state doesn't matter up until you use the SwitchLinc's local switch or remotely control the load via a linked Insteon controller to be in a different state than the mechanical assemblies. At that point, you'd need to toggle the switches to the other state, then back again, in order to effect a change.

Go to Top of Page

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  5:02:58 PM  Show Profile
How about Insteon devices that monitor and report their energy usage.
Go to Top of Page

Madeen2
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  10:25:17 PM  Show Profile
A 12 volt system for RVs lighting,heating and security.I don't know if your technology could be adapted to smaller stranded 12 volt wire i wouldn't see why not but i think it would be a big hit.The market is considerably smaller but you would be amazed by the amount of money RVer's through at there rigs.
Go to Top of Page

hart2hart
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  2:55:33 PM  Show Profile
I had a moderate Smarthome X10 installation in a previous home. When planning my current home, I looked at several HA technologies and selected Insteon managed by ISY as my solution. It has been a good decision and with the support of UD and SH I have a rock solid installation. My only concerns after 10 months are that the PLM and IRLinc Receiver present difficult and labor intensive points of failure recovery.

If a PLM dies, its insteon id is linked to every device in your network -- there needs to be a way to set the id of the replacment so that it matches the defective device. The ISY handles most of this but RF devices are difficult to update links in the best of situations. Could the PLM address be made software updatable by user or ordered custom from Smarthome?

The IRLinc receiver is very labor intensive to build. I've got a couple hundred IRLinc devices to control lights, security, irrigation, and HVAC. My first one died with about 50 devices. I cringe when I think about having to "train" another one and then relink it to all scenes and programs. First, could the insteon id be software updatable. More importantly, all learned IR codes and devices need to be exportable so it can be quickly imported into a replacement.

Edited by - hart2hart on 02/11/2010 2:58:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11447 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  7:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
KPL w/sense

Go to Top of Page

SteveSBE
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  4:23:17 PM  Show Profile
Volume discounts!

A dimmer switch that can be used with my existing switches in 3-way and 4-way circuits. It would also have a setting to turn on/off dimming so I could use it with CFLs, etc. (rather than having a non-dimming switch). It would be able to accommodate a very small motion detection sensor.

A motion sensor that doesn't require me to open it to link it to my ISY99.

A way to find insteon devices with my ISY99 without having to put them into a "sensing mode".

Steve
Go to Top of Page

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  9:22:33 PM  Show Profile
Motion sensor built into a Switchlinc or plug-in lamplinc in so I don't have to change the batteries.
Go to Top of Page

bmah

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  4:37:05 PM  Show Profile
NTP time synchronization for the SmartLinc.
Go to Top of Page

Jimmy

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  09:08:53 AM  Show Profile
Motion Sensor for outdoor SECURITY (vs. Occupancy).
Allow a 2nd "ON" (no more than 2) to be sent during the motion event if the motion sensor is re-tripped before the timeout period expires and turns "OFF". Often the 1st "ON" can be a false trigger from cars or birds going past, or the sun going in & out, etc.

Having up to 2 "ON" commands could allow for "high security" that triggers on the first motion event, or "standard security" which waits a few seconds to verify motion continues before signaling the alert. You could even have the first "ON" turn the outside lights on, but wait for the second "ON" to announce the security violation or trigger an alert.
Go to Top of Page

krimm
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  02:09:41 AM  Show Profile
20 amp on/off switchlinc and inlinelinc that can handle incandescent and HID lighting to upgrade existing 20 amp landsape lighting circuits (doesn't have to be quiet -function over form) also an inlinelinc dipped in resin or other waterproofing with just its wires and heat sink exposed so with the addition of waterproof wirenuts would make it virtually bullet proof in an outside landscaping box and handhole enclosure
Go to Top of Page

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  11:21:09 AM  Show Profile
A Powerlinc Modem dual band 2413S that provides power to the ISY so you don't have to use an external power supply like the 2412S it replaces and capacity for over 2000 links like the 2412S.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11447 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  4:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by krimm

20 amp on/off switchlinc and inlinelinc that can handle incandescent and HID lighting to upgrade existing 20 amp landsape lighting circuits (doesn't have to be quiet -function over form) also an inlinelinc dipped in resin or other waterproofing with just its wires and heat sink exposed so with the addition of waterproof wirenuts would make it virtually bullet proof in an outside landscaping box and handhole enclosure

What's a handhole enclosure?

Go to Top of Page

flytbonesteak
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  11:09:01 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Fraser

quote:
Originally posted by spyboy

How about a multi port powerstrip (PowerstripLinc?) so you can plug multiple lights or whatever into it, yet control each port independently (and all of the smarts are in the strip)

That would be great and I would buy 4-5 of them.
Having a separate button for each controled outlet and enough
separation between them for plug packs would be good.

I would definitely buy a bunch of these too!
Go to Top of Page

flytbonesteak
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  3:33:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Calox

What Insteon products are forum users waiting for?

I know that I have a a handful, but I'd like to see what other forum users are thinking. Here's my list:

- Wireless/Wired Motion Detectors
- Wireless Remotes
- Thermostats
- Plug-in Modules (i.e. "Socket Rockets")
- Security Cameras

I would like to see a togglelinc 1000Watt dimmer...
TJ
Go to Top of Page

WaltersHome
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2010 :  10:25:51 AM  Show Profile
Here's a non-techie request:

OutletLincs in gray.

The gray color, when paired with a stainless wall plate, is a killer combo for contemporary homes. This is the missing "Linc" in adopting a consistent color schee for electrical fittings!
Go to Top of Page

apalau
Starting Member

Mexico
1 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  4:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Click to see apalau's MSN Messenger address
Hi,

I am very new at this. I am barely starting to investigate about home automation, i am searching for the best technology and it seems that insteon is pretty good. Although in my room i have wall plate with two switches, one for the ceiling fan and one for the lights, i have not been able to find an insteon product that would replace those two switches in just one wall plate.

Most homes in mexico use only one wall plate with many switches to control all the lighting in one room, i have seen up to 6 switches in 1 wall plate and if you come to look at it, if you install six switches in one room to control all the different lights that may look like a bit much.
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  6:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
You can control up to 8 separate things (devices or scenes) with one KeypadLinc, you just need InlineLincs or other devices for 7 of them, since it only has local control for 1. But I agree, something with local control of 2 devices, to replace those dual light switches, would be useful. Probably for heat reasons at least one of them would need to be a relay (non-dimming), but the dimmer/relay combo would be great for controlling ceiling fans if nothing else.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

jayrodo
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  11:27:21 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see a few things:

1. Fanlinc - It seems this has been requested for the last 4 years, other manufactures have them, but there is no support for Insteon. I have a single switch to control the fan/light control now. I would like to see the Insteon device be able to control both the light and fan independently from a single switch.

2. Insteon Key Chain Remotes - I just purchased a morninglinc lock system and love that I just press a button and walk inside, but I would like for the lights to turn on at the same time rather than me pressing a button on the wall switch. It could be a simple 4 button remote so I could press All OFF and Lock the door as I'm leaving the house.

3. Wireless Wall Switch - My patio doesn't have a switch next to the door and I have no power lines near it so I have no way of running a normal insteon switch to that location. Sometimes I enter through that door and have no way of turning on the lights. There is already an X10 Slimline switch:

http://www.amazon.com/X10-Slimline-Wireless-Switch-Dimming/dp/B00022OCDW

So it would be great to have that same battery powered switch with the same great look of the insteon switches. I don't even care if it's slim or not, I'll put a box in the wall to accommodate the size of the switch if I don't have to run any wires to it.

4. Colored Keypad Buttons with Translucent Text - I just purchased a black table top switch but since the keys are opaque you can't read the keys in the dark. It would be nice to have the option for them to be readable in the dark. Even if it was offered only as a custom option I would buy every key that way.

5. Energy Sensing Products - It would be nice to know where I'm using all my power at and having houselinc be able to tell me that Switch A is using 50w and Outlet E is using 320W would be a great feature to have added.

6. Android Application Support - There is already a iPhone app but for those of us with Verizon (92.8 Million US Citizens) we're out of luck. I'm no programing wiz but with the amount of apps popping up for everything you can imagine I'm sure an Insteon Android App could be created with minimal effort.

That's all I can think of now. But FanLinc would definitely be at the top of my list and I'm sure the same goes for a lot more people too.

Edited by - jayrodo on 07/11/2010 11:33:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

thruster999
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2010 :  10:56:16 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jayrodo

I would like to see a few things:

1. Fanlinc - It seems this has been requested for the last 4 years, other manufactures have them, but there is no support for Insteon. I have a single switch to control the fan/light control now. I would like to see the Insteon device be able to control both the light and fan independently from a single switch.

Fanlinc YES! I would line up to purchase this.
For me however it does not have to be as complicated. I'd still purchase a dimmer for the light and a separate dimmer for the fan.

Go to Top of Page

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2010 :  09:07:49 AM  Show Profile
Smaller Filterlincs. Do these things have to be the size of a full wallwart?
Go to Top of Page

Ottermator
Average Member

70 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  07:46:49 AM  Show Profile

I'd like to suggest that iGateway have an iGateway apps interface capability to offer free programs and cheap programs from enthusiasts and developers for others.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11447 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  2:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
I'd like a dual-alarm clock with a TimerLinc built-in. The alarm sound should be programmable and respond to Insteon signals, too.

Go to Top of Page

silverton38

Canada
284 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  07:23:51 AM  Show Profile
Here is a real simple one. An 8 button Keypadlinc Relay (non-dimming).

This is required because there are a lot less incandescent light bulbs out there. Many CFL and LED light bulbs are being forced in to homes.

P.S. I know you can buy the change kit but this is very inconvenient and an unnecessary expense.

Edited by - silverton38 on 08/18/2010 07:25:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

silverton38

Canada
284 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  12:13:26 PM  Show Profile
A simple one button battery powered switch.

A sample application could be: put in beside a lamp in order to turn it on or off.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page