Page: of 33

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8594 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2010 :  12:39:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by silverton38

A simple one button battery powered switch.

A sample application could be: put in beside a lamp in order to turn it on or off.

That would be nice. In the meantime, did you see where the TriggerLinc has a couple of screw terminals where you can attach your own switch? Up topic a ways people talked about using a conventional Decora switch wired to a TriggerLinc in a surface-mounted box to create an additional battery operated controller option.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

Sammer

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  10:28:54 AM  Show Profile
Here is my request list, first of seven X10 devices that IMHO there are no suitable Insteon replacements for but there should be and then three more.

Keychain Remote Control

Slimline Wireless Switch

BIG RED Emergency Button

Mini Timer
At least one previous poster has suggested a dual alarm clock combined with what is essentially a TimerLinc

Screw-in Lamp Module

Heavy Duty Appliance Receptacle (20 amp, 240 volt)

Remote Chime
An inexpensive (under $30) self contained plug in chime that is part of the Icon line would suffice.

Dual Band SwitchLinc (non-dimming) Relay
Hopefully coming soon

Easy to use hardware Insteon troubleshooting tool.
This wouldn't be for everybody but some pro installers would love it.

FanLinc (a perennial favorite)

Finally I'm aware that I'm not the first to request most if not all of these.
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  12:57:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
quote:

That's basically what this is, http://www.smarthome.com/2477SA1/INSTEON-220V-240V-30-AMP-Load-Controller-Normally-Open-Relay-Dual-Band/p.aspx , except that this doesn't have the outlet itself. Given how many different types of 220V outlet there are, I can imagine Smarthome doesn't want to build in the receptacle. But the functionality is available now.

A lot of the other things on your list would be useful to me as well. I don't think it hurts to have repeat requests here, since the goal of the thread is to let Smarthome know what there is demand for.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

Sammer

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2010 :  06:55:11 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jdale

quote:

That's basically what this is, http://www.smarthome.com/2477SA1/INSTEON-220V-240V-30-AMP-Load-Controller-Normally-Open-Relay-Dual-Band/p.aspx , except that this doesn't have the outlet itself. Given how many different types of 220V outlet there are, I can imagine Smarthome doesn't want to build in the receptacle. But the functionality is available now.

Good points, I'm sure the code and need for safety testing and listing complicates things for Smarthome. Speaking of the electrical code this might be a good time to make a feature request for OutletLinc. While most posters here are probably using Insteon for retrofits or what is considered "old work", making OutletLinc Tamper Resistant would help futureproof it.
Go to Top of Page

silverton38

Canada
284 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2010 :  12:30:29 PM  Show Profile
An inductive dimmer both in a Switchlinc and a Keypadlinc.

An inductive dual load in one electrical box. This would be great for fan/light combos.

Go to Top of Page

sexauerw
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  3:40:21 PM  Show Profile
Add another vote for an Insteon equivalent of the X10 Slimline Wireless 4-Button Wall Switch. I need two of them, and I would really prefer not to invest in a bridge that would still leave me exposed to X10 flakiness now that there is a reliable alternative.

Old X10 Guy
Go to Top of Page

midrar

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  7:46:51 PM  Show Profile
My suggestion would be to offer the Remotelinc with an LCD screen. I'm aware there is a touchlinc but this would be a much smaller remote control that gives you 2 way status. Ideally Priced at $99-$149.
Go to Top of Page

wz2b

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2010 :  06:39:21 AM  Show Profile
You know what I have always wanted is a screw-in light bulb module that had a pull chain on it for local control.
Go to Top of Page

jerlands

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2010 :  6:55:30 PM  Show Profile
Ceiling Fan w/RF control.

similar to Lutron MA-LFQM-IV Maestro 300 Watt Dual Dimmer and Fan Speed Control Switch/Lutron CM-FQ1 Maestro Fan Canopy.
Go to Top of Page

instaman
Average Member

149 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  03:35:09 AM  Show Profile
Would like to see a full fledged Insteon Securelinc Alarm System, present one really only does X10 and connects insteon through X10 protocol. It would utilize its motion sensors to act as the Insteon Motion Sensors do so I wouldn't have to have different types of motion sensors all over the house, esthetics are important. For example, when the alarm is on at night in perimeter mode, the inside motion sensors could be programmed through the main console to function as motion detectors and activate linked Switchlincs to light paths to about 25 percent during night travel. Maybe even time activate the function between the hours of 11pm and 6am since the unit does have a clock. Full alarm mode would activate all the lights to full brightness and maybe flash the outdoor linked lights as well. Am I asking for too much?

PS. Could we make the main console a lil' smaller this time?
Go to Top of Page

jerlands

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2010 :  10:06:00 AM  Show Profile
I need a wireless light sensor with adjustable on-off band (or programmable via ISY.)
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8594 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2010 :  5:16:38 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jerlands

I need a wireless light sensor with adjustable on-off band (or programmable via ISY.)

The current Insteon motion sensor has a terrific light sensor built in. You can adjust the trigger brightness level via an onboard setting or via software, you can link dusk/dawn events to completely different Insteon devices from what is linked to motion events, and it uses a three minute window to determine if it is really dusk/dawn or if it is just a cloud passing overhead or a car headlight.

Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1243 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2010 :  08:46:37 AM  Show Profile
My wish list for 2011 and beyond would be the following this is to affirm some of the great idea's I have read thus far.

Also, since this great thread has been started Smarthome has indeed stepped up to the plate and read and introduced many of the items listed here!

Thank you Smarthome for being forward thinking and customer friendly . . .

1. Dual fan light switch

2. Integrated motion sensor with switchlinc, keypadlinc

3. Make all the insteon devices dual band (looks like you're migrating this way anyways)

4. Change the form factor of the appliance linc's to have the same look and feel of the new lamplinc (you guys did a great job on the looks, feel, and the button placement and position of the LED. Also, the beeping indicator is outstanding.

5. This is follow up to number 4, every plug in module should be a three prong. I have no clue why anyone would make a two prong outlet and limit its use. It is always buyer beware in terms of reading the package and most if not all the people in this forum already realize the hazards with respect to this hobby. Just make the units with all 3 prong, 15 amp, and please always have a front pass through outlet.

This adds value, flexibility, and a key advantage to your company!

6. In field firmware upgrade . . . This needs to be revisited and put into place. Again this will cement your customer satisfaction and affirm to the customer that they are making an investment, and not a purchase. If people know they are future proofed to their gear, they will buy more, they will tell more people about the value and the technology benefits of this product!

7. Pricing: I have no clue why your prices have gone up so much over the years. But, that value thing I was talking about in number 6? When I look back and read old threads / post of what was being offered for the starter kits, or what have you. Today's kits, and products are 10-15% more than previous offerings. Remember what your first marketing thing was??

Value . . . Compared to the other brands etc, now you're approaching the same level of costs as the other brands very quickly!

8. Reduce the price of the custom keys, really the asking price is not reflective of the final product.

9. LCD display for one of the KPL, SL

10. Power consumption status of each device, their voltage, current, power being used and supplied. This should be able to communicate via homelinc, houselinc2, ISY. At a glance via the software you can see each devices voltage, then if its on the duration of the on time and the power consumed during that time. From there the user could look at a graph and see what devices was used, for how long, and their affects on consumption.

11. KPL: Could you please introduce the *option* for those that want to make a specific button flash while it is turned on / engaged. This would allow the user to be notified of a very important device which is activated, on, open etc.

My plan is to have a garage i/o installed. This garage i/o' status would be reflected on the 6/8 button KPL. If the garage door was open that button would flash!

Coupled with a red or what ever color change kit to change the led filter would also increase that important notification status. Again, this could be built into the unit via firmware, but not enabled by default. Same as the beeping is not turned on by default etc.

Edited by - EVIL Teken on 12/03/2010 12:35:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

barton house
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  07:07:31 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to see an insteon switch that controls the load and just one other button .
I have lots of places where I want just a little more control, but want the convenience of a large paddle switch. Maybe a slightly smaller paddle, or the extra button (or two) in the middle of the rocker paddle. I'd even be ok with 1/2 wide rockers side by side.

Expensive hobbies are the most fun
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1243 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  5:13:55 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by barton house

I'd like to see an insteon switch that controls the load and just one other button .
I have lots of places where I want just a little more control, but want the convenience of a large paddle switch. Maybe a slightly smaller paddle, or the extra button (or two) in the middle of the rocker paddle. I'd even be ok with 1/2 wide rockers side by side.

I second that idea too. Also, can you please release some new configurations of the KPL with maybe some:

4 rows of big buttons
1 large button either on top / button. Along with 6 small buttons below or on top.
Go to Top of Page

tdenike
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  2:49:18 PM  Show Profile
A touch-dimmer Insteon controller/responder. Either a screw-in bulb module, or preferably a plug-in module with a conductor wire you could attach to the metal part of a lamp/lamps.

I hate having to get out of bed to hit my "Nightstand" button on my bedroom KPL, and the tabletop KPL is too clunky for my taste. The RF remote is nice - but in general it strikes me as hacky having local control of a lamp be a device other than the lamp itself.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11446 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2010 :  3:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by EVIL Teken

4 rows of big buttons

Using 6-button mode, cross-link adjacent buttons, use a large button cover for each pair. Result: three device KPL

Using 8-button mode, cross-link adjacent buttons, use a large button cover for each pair. Result: four device KPL

By not linking every adjacent pair, you can create five, six, and seven device KPL's, too.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Administrator

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  10:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Isaac's Homepage
On behalf of the entire Smarthome/SmartLabs team I would like to thank each of you for your valuable contributions in this thread. All your requests and suggestions are actively read and discussed by our engineering team as well as our CEO.

We are excited for the release of some fantastic new products (most born out of your suggestions in this thread) and look forward to more ideas as we go into 2011.

Happy Holidays!

INSTEON
Like us on Facebook
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  10:22:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
Thanks for letting us know you are listening!

(Now bring me a chime module and fan controller! ;) )

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8594 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  11:01:39 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Isaac!

Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1243 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  1:11:56 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Isaac

On behalf of the entire Smarthome/SmartLabs team I would like to thank each of you for your valuable contributions in this thread. All your requests and suggestions are actively read and discussed by our engineering team as well as our CEO.

We are excited for the release of some fantastic new products (most born out of your suggestions in this thread) and look forward to more ideas as we go into 2011.

Happy Holidays!

Isaac,

I am a long time lurker on this forum. But just this year I became a new Insteon owner. The major reason for this was to see the Insteon product mature and implement some of the many features previous owners had requested, and avoid some of the failure experienced by many others.

Its December 2010 now, and the components which I currently have installed absolutely operate and react instantly as it is advertised by your product!

Well done . . .

The new look and feel of the dual band lamplinc is impressive. Fits into any decor, and avoids that wall wart look from the past. Migrating all the plug in modules to have that same look and size is my hope for future product releases.

If this has not been suggested: Could we please see more dual band products implemented in the relay family.

1. Dual band Switchlinc none dimming
2. Dual band Switchlinc timer (none dimming)
3. Dual band Outlet linc, also can you please make it so if you turn the outlet locally off / on that the status is reflective on the KPL.

Much thanks to you, and the Smarthome family for their continued push for better products that make life easier, safer, and attainable by all.

Edited by - EVIL Teken on 12/09/2010 2:00:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8594 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  12:37:43 PM  Show Profile
How about an Insteon-controlled snow removal robot? Ideally it would self-activate and self-park when done, measure and report snowfall and fuel levels back to my home automation software (or use a rechargeable, long life battery), and feature excellent traction so it can work equally well on a windy stadium roof or a few inches of wet snow on a long Michigan driveway! :)

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11446 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  7:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
I do have a robot that vacuums on command (hand-held remote) or schedule (self-activated) that self-parks in a charging station when done. It use a long-life rechargeable battery.

The mopping robot does require hand filling and emptying

Alas, neither are Insteon

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1243 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2010 :  11:10:30 AM  Show Profile
Just wanted to reaffirm for our global brothers that they still want to see 220 VAC products for their market place!

Its a money tree waiting to be tapped . . . This will drive down costs for the company as volumes will be up, and sales will be able to support more value added products because mass volume will be able to offset the initial costs.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1243 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  5:21:57 PM  Show Profile
Smoke detector: I don't know where this is on the road map. As some of the employee's in the development group have chimed in that its 90% done etc. Yet 5 years later not a Insteon integrated item is available.

You have a You Tube video showing that its available and working. Please remove this video as its misleading your current customers, and potential customers that you indeed have a product ready to be sold and shipped.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8594 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2010 :  6:19:02 PM  Show Profile
Which YouTube video is that?

Go to Top of Page

nowandthen

26 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  7:19:25 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

quote:

4 rows of big buttons

Using 6-button mode, cross-link adjacent buttons, use a large button cover for each pair. Result: three device KPL

Using 8-button mode, cross-link adjacent buttons, use a large button cover for each pair. Result: four device KPL

By not linking every adjacent pair, you can create five, six, and seven device KPL's, too.

Wow I never thought of this. Thanks! However I don't see any wide buttons for sale other than white. I need Ivory so I can't do this mod. Smarthome should offer kits to make four button versions, six and eight are often too many. The three button is a bit funky if ON is at the top and OFF at the bottom but I get your point.

Others have asked for two button KPLs/switchlincs and I concur. There are places where two or three switches would be nice. Smarthome, use the Leviton 16400 transmitter base/multiple keypad options as a model. I think you have the base, give us more keypad options.

Give me wide buttons in Ivory so I can make a four button switch. Plain no writing. Offer wide only buttons, no small ones in the "kit".

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

nowandthen

26 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2010 :  7:26:14 PM  Show Profile
I own a Victorian home. I would love to see a Switchlinc switch plate kit that resembles the very old style push button switches. It seems to me that this would be a fairly simple retro fit. Mother of pearl inlays on the buttons. The two black buttons need not actually push in, the rocker action of the current rocker switch would suffice. I wouldn't expect these to be as cheap as the color change kits but don't make them outrageous either.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1243 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  08:07:02 AM  Show Profile
Nowandthen,

Regarding your request for the larger buttons in Ivory. You could order a few change kits in that color. Upon arrival you could also remove the laser etching from the buttons. I have been told they can be removed with little effort using some cleaner, or some rubbing alcohol. This would give you that 4 button look, along with the matching color in Ivory. It's not a complete solution out of the box, but it does give you another choice.
Go to Top of Page

nowandthen

26 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2010 :  08:05:01 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Nowandthen,

Regarding your request for the larger buttons in Ivory. You could order a few change kits in that color. Upon arrival you could also remove the laser etching from the buttons. I have been told they can be removed with little effort using some cleaner, or some rubbing alcohol. This would give you that 4 button look, along with the matching color in Ivory. It's not a complete solution out of the box, but it does give you another choice.

Thanks Evil! I assumed the etching was into the plastic. I'll add some change kits next time I place an order and give it a try.

Smarthome, please give us a two (and cleaner three) button option as well.

Edited by - nowandthen on 12/24/2010 08:19:36 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page