Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

nickoonce
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  09:16:13 AM  Show Profile
Most of my wish list items have already been suggested but I wanted to voice my support for them.

1. Fanlinc FanLinc FANLINC
2. Wired in-wall motion sensor.
3. Wire in options for all of the modules that plug in to the wall.
4. Smoke alarm bridge (trigger scenes when smoke alarm sounds or trigger alarms from TriggerLinc events.
5. Multi-port I/O linc (more than 1 in and 1 out) kinda like EZ Flora.
6. Clear button faces for 6 and 8 button KPLs to support printing own labels.
7. Hot tub bridge! My tub has a RJ45 controller plug... either a RF module like for the thermostats or a plugin module with a network cable between.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  09:43:29 AM  Show Profile
FanLinc exists! A dual-band, dual-device (dimmer + Low/Medium/High/Off fan controller) FanLinc is already on file at the FCC, and SmartLabs recently posted a public survey asking for opinions on control options--I expect to see this for sale real soon now!

Clear button faces are already available! See http://www.smarthome.com/2401CLB/6-or-8-Button-Change-Kit-for-KeypadLinc-Clear/p.aspx (one caution--IMHO, the opaque and custom options are a step up. The paper-behind-clear-buttons are more difficult to work with (you have to put into place a clear backer piece, the paper label, then the button top) and are best assembled with the unit laying face up on a table, not while mounted in a wall.

(Just a quick reminder--make sure your home automation controls are properly labeled for houseguests and that your motion-activating lighting doesn't turn on any blindingly-bright lights in the living room--your kids will never forgive you if you scare off Santa!)

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

nowandthen

26 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  6:14:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

Clear button faces are already available! See http://www.smarthome.com/2401CLB/6-or-8-Button-Change-Kit-for-KeypadLinc-Clear/p.aspx (one caution--IMHO, the opaque and custom options are a step up. The paper-behind-clear-buttons are more difficult to work with (you have to put into place a clear backer piece, the paper label, then the button top) and are best assembled with the unit laying face up on a table, not while mounted in a wall.

I use the Brother P-Touch to make labels. I use black on clear and put them on the face of my ivory buttons after I have scrubbed the letters off. Clear buttons are probably fine for white switches but no so much for other colors (ivory). P-touch devices are cheap, maybe use black on white tape and put under the clear buttons?

And as a follow up to converting 6 or 8 button KPLs to 4 button, I used silicone caulk to stick the two "new" middle wide buttons on (from advise on this forum). But I don't like the fact that those two middle rows do not light up as one button, due to the structure of the underlying frame. I converted them from 6 button to 4 and am happy for that but I still request a true 4 (wide) button option for KPL. Esthetics do count.

Edited by - nowandthen on 12/22/2011 6:16:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

andrewmarkowitz
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  06:19:25 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see a hardwire version of the access point with a remote mountable antenna. 90% of our callbacks are associated with an access point being unplugged or moved. we also like to provide remote access poolside and most people dont want to see a switch or outlet. so the location available to mount a dual band item is usually not a good location to receive wireless communication. so by having a remote mountable antenna you can mount it in a better location without being an eyesore.
Go to Top of Page

Jim3535
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  1:26:34 PM  Show Profile
I would love to see a version of the keypadlinc units with RGB LEDs behind the buttons. I'd like to be able to program the buttons to change color depending on the status of my garage door, various devices, scenes, etc. I know the color change kits are available, but I'd like to be able to change the color pragmatically.

I would also like to see a version of the appliance linc relay that can control multiple outlets. Like a 2 or 4 outlet power strip.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1243 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  08:28:25 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jim3535

I would love to see a version of the keypadlinc units with RGB LEDs behind the buttons. I'd like to be able to program the buttons to change color depending on the status of my garage door, various devices, scenes, etc. I know the color change kits are available, but I'd like to be able to change the color pragmatically.

I would also like to see a version of the appliance linc relay that can control multiple outlets. Like a 2 or 4 outlet power strip.

I would like to affirm these two excellent ideas as well!
Go to Top of Page

lapusey

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2011 :  08:52:38 AM  Show Profile
Are dual band togglelinks in the works? I don't use the paddle/decora style switches but really need the added network reliability of the RF devices.
Go to Top of Page

paduck
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  06:45:03 AM  Show Profile
I've just about finished with a new Insteon installation of about 25 devices. I've been very impressed with Insteon. I do have a number of suggestions for new/enhanced products as I've moved forward with this project:

1. Dual-band ToggleLincs as previously mentioned.

2. Wiegand I/O Linc interpreter - this would allow you to use any of the hundreds of Wiegand-compatible RFID readers out on the market. Right now, the I/O Linc RFID just does authentication at the device. It doesn't tell you WHO is there. Having a device that can actually send a variable to your PC that says something other than "Open" or "Closed" would be a big deal. I'm not sure if that is beyond the capacity of the Insteon protocol though. You might want to make several versions - one that can handle one reader and another that can handle more than one (like the EZIO).

3. Long-range RFID reader to tell if your car is home.

4. Multi-gang switches - is there a space-saving way to put together multiple switches? I have several 2- and 3-gang boxes and let me tell you they get filled with multiple Insteon switches in there. If you had a combined product that took up less space in the back, that would be nice.

5. Make a setting on the keypads so you can turn off the LEDs. Some people don't like having them on. The switches have that feature, but it doesn't appear you can turn off the ON/OFF LED on a keypad (please correct me if I am wrong, I know you can turn off/down the individual LEDs).

6. I'm not entirely sure why the Ethernet controller has an On Cable and an Off Cable? Perhaps a cheaper version that was either open or closed (just one cable) could be made? Basically all I want to do is have a few Internet devices in the house disconnect when my teenager wants to cruise the Internet after school.

7. A real temperature sensor that reports back the actual temperature and not just if it crosses a high-low value.

8. SynchroLinc as a SynchroLincOutlet. Which may get to another point made by others - having in-wall versions of many of the Insteon products that plug into the wall?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11467 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  11:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by paduck

2. Wiegand I/O Linc interpreter - this would allow you to use any of the hundreds of Wiegand-compatible RFID readers out on the market. Right now, the I/O Linc RFID just does authentication at the device. It doesn't tell you WHO is there. Having a device that can actually send a variable to your PC that says something other than "Open" or "Closed" would be a big deal. I'm not sure if that is beyond the capacity of the Insteon protocol though. You might want to make several versions - one that can handle one reader and another that can handle more than one (like the EZIO).

3. Long-range RFID reader to tell if your car is home.

An I/O Linc can respond to any contact-closure device.
quote:

5. Make a setting on the keypads so you can turn off the LEDs.

That feature is available on newer KPLs.
quote:

6. I'm not entirely sure why the Ethernet controller has an On Cable and an Off Cable?

Which Ethernet controller?
quote:

7. A real temperature sensor that reports back the actual temperature and not just if it crosses a high-low value.

That exists. What specifically would you do with it?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

paduck
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2011 :  06:43:03 AM  Show Profile
Stusviews - Appreciate your response, but I don't think you understand some of what I am asking:

On the RFID - I don't need to know about the Open/Close part. I want to get a variable from the sensor - specifically, if a card or transmitter is picked up by the RFID sensor, it has a specific code. I would like to know that code - basically that tells me who or what is present (in the case of a person or a car). The IO Link simply tells me that the RFID sensor has said "this card is good." Perhaps less important with cars, but certainly for people. Examples - you can set time of day access for the cleaning people. You can give a card to a neighbor, but limit the access to when you are away. You can set certain scenes and music to come on when certain people come home. You can log in your kids for a variety of reasons. Note I am using a software controller, so I have some more flexibility with what I can do than an installation without.

On the KPL LEDs - I am concerned about the big ON/OFF buttons on the 6-key version. I can turn off the four smaller buttons in the middle, but not the main load ones. Everything I've read implies it can't be done right now. You can turn down the ON/OFF LEDs from full brightness, but not off - one of them is always on.

See page 20 of the manual where it says you can't modify the ON/OFF button behavior (but all other buttons you can):

http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/2487s.pdf

Ethernet device: see this link:

http://www.smarthome.com/71935/INSTEON-X10-Internet-Controller/p.aspx

Temperature - Other than the Venstar remote that requires the Venstar thermostat, what other Insteon temperature sensor is there? The only ones I've seen are high-low thershold devices. There are different temperatures in different rooms/floors of the house. I could automatically turn on/off ceiling fans or kill power somewhere if it gets really hot. I'd like to be able to display that information on my Indigo web pages. Perhaps having outside temperature would be useful as well? Maybe the Venstar is the whole solution? Having a device report actual temperature means I can use it to trigger multiple scenes instead of just one at high-low.

There was a device called "TempLinc" that was X10-compatible that did report temperature, but it is discontinued:

http://www.smarthome.com/1625/TempLinc-X10-X-10-Remote-Temperature-Sensor/p.aspx
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2011 :  07:05:47 AM  Show Profile
quote:
On the KPL LEDs - I am concerned about the big ON/OFF buttons on the 6-key version. I can turn off the four smaller buttons in the middle, but not the main load ones. Everything I've read implies it can't be done right now. You can turn down the ON/OFF LEDs from full brightness, but not off - one of them is always on.

You can turn off the bright OFF button on a 6-button keypad. See instructions here: http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9118

quote:

Temperature - Other than the Venstar remote that requires the Venstar thermostat, what other Insteon temperature sensor is there?

You can use an Insteon-enabled Venstar thermostat as a temperature sensor using the two-wire kit--it doesn't need to be attached to your HVAC to report temp data or control other Insteon-enabled devices.

I understand the Energy Display is also capable of transmitting temperature data, but I don't know that anyone has built support for it into their software yet. Michel over at Universal Devices has said it is on his to-do list for the ISY, but he hasn't heard a lot of interest in that feature so it's a low priority at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

paduck
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2011 :  07:21:41 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

quote:

You can turn off the bright OFF button on a 6-button keypad. See instructions here: http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9118

Thank you Tfitzpatri8, that was very helpful - in fact, it is the "OFF" button that I want to turn off.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11467 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2011 :  6:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:

Ethernet device: see this link:

http://www.smarthome.com/71935/INSTEON-X10-Internet-Controller/p.aspx

Neat device. It ensures that one and only one network particular network device of two can be networked at a time and also that one of the two is always networked.

Go to Top of Page

Hazcat

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  2:31:46 PM  Show Profile
Aside from FanLinc... (put me down for four!)...

A dual-band OutletLinc, non-dimming, without a lamp socket - to eliminate clunky plug-in access points.

A dual-band SwitchLink relay.

An app that allows me to create a floor plan and graphically show devices, status - and control them by room and floor.

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11467 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  6:52:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hazcat

A dual-band OutletLinc, non-dimming, without a lamp socket - to eliminate clunky plug-in access points.

Place a blank switch plate over this device: http://www.smarthome.com/2475SDB/In-LineLinc-Relay-INSTEON-Remote-Control-In-Line-On-Off-Switch-Dual-Band/p.aspx

Go to Top of Page

paduck
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  04:43:14 AM  Show Profile
quote:

An app that allows me to create a floor plan and graphically show devices, status - and control them by room and floor.

Try Indigo, it does what you want. They have a free 30-day trial option as well.

http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/indigo/index.html
Go to Top of Page

Hazcat

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  10:16:24 AM  Show Profile
@stusviews: Thank you. I'd considered doing just that but either I'd lose the outlet space or I'd need to retrofit another box. For now, at least having the access point plugged in keeps one outlet usable. I'm fairly sure I'm not alone in a desire for clean installations (read: minimal to no plug in modules), so hopefully as Smarthome expands its options they'll include more ways to eliminate plug ins. After all, the tech already exists, it's just a case of packaging.

@paduck: Indigo looks very nice. So much so that I'm contemplating getting a Mac Mini to run it (I've been considering that anyway so I can play with app development). Thank you!

As long as I'm posting - I'll add another 'small step' request for Smarthome: A dual-band, InLineLinc Dimmer.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11467 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  5:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:

@stusviews: Thank you. I'd considered doing just that but either I'd lose the outlet space ...

Wasn't that your request?
quote:

A dual-band OutletLinc, non-dimming, without a lamp socket

Edited by - stusviews on 01/01/2012 5:33:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hazcat

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  8:02:32 PM  Show Profile
Perhaps I wasn't quite clear. What I'd ask Smarthome for is a true outlet replacement - that still functions as a two-socket outlet, and does not have any lamp-only sockets or dimming functions - that works as a dual-band linc unit.

My wife would probably get irked if I started eliminating outlets. As is, she usually rolls her eyes when I expand the automation. Fortunately my 8 y/o is enchanted with it, especially as I've got an IRLinc in the media room that lets him use a Kymera 'magic wand' remote to run the TV, blue ray, and room lights.
Go to Top of Page

Sammer

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  11:34:23 AM  Show Profile
Now that SmartLabs has the SwitchLinc 2478D for single phase 220V (50 or 60Hz auto-detected) I have to wonder if there are any plans to support three phase power. 3 phase would seem to almost require a somewhat expensive RF receiver / three phase coupler repeater to assure that Insteon signals are received from all paths then repeated on all three power line phases with proper timing. I would suggest that such a device not include an Insteon RF transmitter in exchange for a more robust RF receiver than any other Insteon device perhaps with a separable (with optional coax cable) antenna that can be moved up to 15 feet or so to improve reception.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  11:59:31 AM  Show Profile
I don't think it is actually that complicated, since dual-band devices already receive signals from battery operated devices that don't coincide with the zero crossing. Should be as simple as plugging a dual-band unit into each of the phases.

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11467 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  10:20:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
Separable antennae are not required to achieve reliable communication if the goal is to pass Insteon signals between phases. I am referring specifically to a 3-phase Wye or Delta supply. Insteon RF couplers seem to manage that. Several posters have indicated success using such devices.

A separable antenna may be required to achieve reliable communication if the goal is to pass Insteon signals a long distance.

Go to Top of Page

Sammer

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  6:48:41 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

Separable antennae are not required to achieve reliable communication if the goal is to pass Insteon signals between phases. I am referring specifically to a 3-phase Wye or Delta supply. Insteon RF couplers seem to manage that. Several posters have indicated success using such devices.

A three phase coupler repeater wouldn't need RF at all to couple the phases. The real purpose of including a robust RF receiver in such a device would be to receive Insteon RF from a distance.

I guess the real question is why doesn't SmartLabs support using dual band devices to couple such three phase power. I agree with both of you that it would be a lot easier than the device I described.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11467 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2012 :  7:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
Insteon dual-band device are RF couplers. Also, Insteon devices are designed primarily for residences.

Go to Top of Page

OmegaQuest

15 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  5:41:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by EVIL Teken

quote:
Originally posted by Jim3535

I would like to affirm these two excellent ideas as well!

Same here, GREAT Idea!

But maybe an kit to change current KeypadLinc's to RGB for us who already have 20+ KeypadLincs and dont want to buy them all over again!
Go to Top of Page

OmegaQuest

15 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  5:45:57 PM  Show Profile
I would like to see an OutletLinc with "Two" controls and not just One controlled socket.

I have two sets of under cabinet lighting (one set above cabinets, one underneath cabinets, and I want to turn each set one with its own KeypadLinc button for times I only want to use one.

--------------

And a Combined: IR Linc Receiver & Transmitter in one unit.

Edited by - OmegaQuest on 01/09/2012 5:48:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

carealtor

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2012 :  6:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit carealtor's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by OmegaQuest

And a Combined: IR Linc Receiver & Transmitter in one unit.

Wouldn't a SimpleHomeNet EZUIRT fit the bill?
Go to Top of Page

AllWired
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  09:03:59 AM  Show Profile
I have the 2412N Central Controller with a couple of lights programmed to come on at sunset. I've noticed that where I live that happens about 45 minutes before actual "darkness". That wastes a lot of electricity over years of use.

How about the capability to offset (both positive and negatively) the "sunrise" and "sunset" times either globally or individually per module. Per Module would allow more flexibility but globally would probably be easier to implement.
Go to Top of Page

Sammer

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2012 :  8:46:37 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sammer
I guess the real question is why doesn't SmartLabs support using dual band devices to couple such three phase power. I agree with both of you that it would be a lot easier than the device I described.

Never Mind.

SmartLabs Officially Announces INSTEON Compatibility in 3-Phase Electrical Buildings.
Go to Top of Page

Hazcat

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2012 :  10:18:00 AM  Show Profile
Yet another wouldn't-it-be-nice idea:

A motion sensor that fit in the corner of a room (90 degree angle case) that was very low profile and had a case that could be painted to match the wall (perhaps with a removable sensor cover to keep the cover pristine during painting).

I've a number of small rooms where something unobtrusive would be extremely nice. The current motion sensors with their mounting bracket would be visually unappealing, and much as I'm a gadget lover... I do prefer installations that look smooth and professional.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page