Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

JMB11
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2012 :  6:51:50 PM  Show Profile
A screw-in INSTEON lamp dimmer
This would be perfect for folks that shouldn't mess with wiring in their rented home / apartment.
Would be used mostly for recessed & track lighting.
Love the products!
Go to Top of Page

Snownh2o2

16 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  2:36:55 PM  Show Profile
Request 1)

If the new insteon TempLinc is still in the works, it would be great to have some wired ports. A wired LAN connection would be great to absolutely ensure that it has bulletproof reliability with the ISY. On a similar note wired inputs for hardwiring remote sensors would be great too.

Having a very robust HVAC (tempature monitoring, etc) system is GREAT for energy savings, but a MUST when living in subzero temperatures. Even if we could assume a 99.9% reliability of insteon powerline/rf networking, once every 3 years the thermosat will fail to communicate. I know that not everyday is below freezing in every place in the US, but I also know that when it is cold out, an oil fired furnace fires every hour or so.

Request 2)

A product that will work in conjunction with the ISY similar to CAI Webconnect or ow-server is needed. It needs to push values to the isy (rather than the ISY polling.) The projuct will take joint participation from UD and Smarthome. As of now the 2 forementioned devices/companies have not decided to join with UD. This type of device will open up the custom features that the DIY wants, but at a price the DIYer can afford. CAI boards are $30! And sensors are endless with a quick google search.
Go to Top of Page

foxtail22
Average Member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  5:35:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit foxtail22's Homepage
My votes would be:
1. Dual Band Lamp/Appliance module that supports CFLs.
2. Mobile Smartlinc like support on Houselinc
3. Houselinc LAN to Powerline modem shared with Mobile units.
4. Ability to speak messages from Houselinc using the local PC speakers.
5. Temp sensors to read, report, and use values in events
6. A status summary screen that could be used to show status of all devices on one summary screen. Even better be able to also display it on an iPad as part of item 2 above.
7. Wire in motion detectors
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2012 :  5:41:31 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by foxtail22

Are you looking for something supplied by 12 volts and communicating via RF, something requiring in-wall 120 volt wiring and a wall box, or something different?

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

ELA

318 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  10:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit ELA's Homepage
AnalogLinc?

I have read that several are interested in a Templinc or a simple RF only temperature sensor.

Is that in the works?

If so it would be nice if it also included/optioned a generic analog input. Maybe 0-5V.

I realize there may not a large market for that but if it could be added to a temperature device as an option that would be nice.

My immediate desire is to monitor my truck battery voltage remotely

Insteon Test Data ->: http://www.elavenue.com/insteon_test_data.html
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  10:29:20 AM  Show Profile
There's a wireless temperature sensor built into the energy display, but according to Universal Devices they haven't heard enough interest in it to make adding support a priority. If you have an isy, be sure to add your request to the appropriate topic on the isy forum so they can keep track when prioritizing projects.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

firstone
Average Member

83 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  12:35:57 PM  Show Profile
Is it too much to ask for black and gray keypadlinc button covers that will show more light from LEDs? I have to use keypad by touch in the dark. And white would look horrible when all other switches are black.
Go to Top of Page

foxtail22
Average Member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  1:00:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit foxtail22's Homepage

The current battery powered one is fine for standalone use. The wire in one should replace a light switch to sense motion in a room and send an insteon message to allow triggering of scenes.
Go to Top of Page

foxtail22
Average Member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  1:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit foxtail22's Homepage
Temp sensors need to be fairly inexpensive and not combined with other functionality. The ability to use them to monitor things like room temperature, control fans in places like attic spaces, trigger fan only operation on AC or Heating systems, as well as monitoring the heating system itself is very useful.

A number of automation and home security suppliers offer modules that take either contact closure inputs(digital) or 0-5V (analog) inputs which lets low cost temp sensors like the LM34 to be connected in analog mode. All kinds of devices such as window. door sensors, motion detectors, glass break sensors, etc can be used. A universal module that provided this kind of capability for maybe 6 or 8 inputs would be highly useful.
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  1:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by foxtail22

A number of automation and home security suppliers offer modules that take either contact closure inputs(digital) or 0-5V (analog) inputs which lets low cost temp sensors like the LM34 to be connected in analog mode. All kinds of devices such as window. door sensors, motion detectors, glass break sensors, etc can be used. A universal module that provided this kind of capability for maybe 6 or 8 inputs would be highly useful.

There are a bunch of options for contact closure sensors. IOLinc, Triggerlinc, also a range of EZIO devices from Simplehomenet. Some of the EZIO devices also have analog inputs, such as http://www.smarthome.com/31280/SimpleHomeNet-6-Input-INSTEON-Interface-Module-EZIO6I/p.aspx

These tend to be on the pricey side and a little complicated. I think what is missing is a device with a single input and simpler configuration. E.g. the temperature sensor you toss in the attic, the EZIO device is way overkill for that.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

ELA

318 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  4:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit ELA's Homepage
The "AnalogLinc" I imagined would be battery operated. The device would be "asleep" the majority of the time to preserve battery life (Like the 2420Ms).
It would be small like a Triggerlinc.

It would have a variable that determined how often it woke up to send data. The receiver would have calibration factors to convert analog data to temp, volts etc.

Insteon Test Data ->: http://www.elavenue.com/insteon_test_data.html
Go to Top of Page

foxtail22
Average Member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  4:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit foxtail22's Homepage
I have looked at them and I agree that they solve the contact closure issues. The EZIO module goes a long way but the way it handles analog input is to turn it into a on/off signal at a preset input voltage level. It would take head end controller modifications to have a module report actual temperature values and then use those values in event triggers and conditions.
Go to Top of Page

foxtail22
Average Member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2012 :  4:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit foxtail22's Homepage
Hi ELA. It could be battery powered or an AC plug in version. Low voltage wires can be run fairly easliy so it could be either. A friend of mine has a Stargate controller for his X-10 net and he uses the LM34 temp sensors and connects them over a fair distance to the Stargate and it works fine for him.
Go to Top of Page

samsp99
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  9:07:48 PM  Show Profile
I have been using HouseLinc for a month or so, and its ok, but its not meeting its full potential. I therefore have a few HouseLinc software suggestions:

A) A windows service
Houselinc is a case of hybrid software that has both UI and background functionality. However it is written as a UI app which means that it has to have somebody logged in and running it to respond to events. I've had a few power outages, and although my server restarts, it doesn't log in, so houselinc is not started automatically. It would be great if the app could be split into 2:
* A client app for doing the programming etc
* A windows service that handles the events.

By having a windows service, it would enable the events to be handled when nobody is logged in, and could be very lightweight in the background - similar to the print spooler etc. I see that its largely written in .Net so its not to hard to create a service with .Net, there is a VS project template for it. The client could communicate with it using .Net remoting, or COM. The service would just handle the events and timers.

B) Custom Action support
The ability for the PC to respond to events from Insteon devices, is a really powerful one, but is not very richly utilized at the moment. It would be great if we could write our own extensions as actions that could be invoked based on events. As the software is .net we could write extension dll's with a simple API to be implemented that enables custom code to be executed.

C) Or - an Insteon library for .Net. It would be good if there was a public API and library for insteon that makes communicating with the devices from custom software easy. For example if it had type definitions for the common devices with methods/properties to turn them on/off/up/dwn, set the level and ramp rate and get the status.
If you wanted to be even more clever you could have a tool to generate a partial class based on the saved xml file from houselinc, that then has the device ID's, names and types already configured.

D) HTTP / REST end point
If you had a backround service as part of houselinc, then it could also use the Hostable Web Core to implement its own http end point to support web clients. It could then provide similar/the same functionality as smartlinc, using the PC for the heavy lifting rather than having to have a second device.

Edited by - samsp99 on 01/28/2012 9:08:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

foxtail22
Average Member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  08:41:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit foxtail22's Homepage
Hi samsp99. I like your suggestions and they would certianly make life easier and make Houselinc more powerful. To get around the service issue, I set my server(Win7) up to not need a log in and I put a link to the houselinc app in my startup folder to bring Houselinc back on. This lets houselinc auto start after a power cycle or a reboot due to some Windows auto updates.
Go to Top of Page

Snownh2o2

16 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  2:03:00 PM  Show Profile
According to Venstar/Totaline technical support, when using a T1800 with an insteon (wireless) adapter, the addition of wireless remote sensor breaks down the reliability factor of the thermosats communication. The 2 different wireless adapters can confuse and create power issues in the thermostat itself. Though the newest version of the insteon thermostat adapter is much better than past past versions, the insteon adapter already has communication issues. A quick search on the UDI ISY forum will show a large amount of users have developing adhoc systems using CAI, OW, or Linux powered devices. As poster:ELA states above, an ANALOGLINC could be one solution, as it would be an Insteon 'supported' product and could use many kinds of generic sensors. Or another solution being a TempLinc that can push status changes or post via HTTP or ... Currently, frequent polling of the thermostat adapter for realtime values, causes all kinds of network issues, especially as the network expands (multiple adapters.) This opposes the concept that as insteon networks grow, they thrive. Home Automation if reliable can add convienence, however it is also about energy savings. Lighting and Climate control normally being the biggest savers.

Matt
Go to Top of Page

foxtail22
Average Member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2012 :  2:34:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit foxtail22's Homepage
To minimize traffic, if the "Analoglinc" module could be set to send a message whenever the temp changed by a settable amount like .1,.2 etc deg, it would avoid the polling traffic overhead to neede to keep testing it. Many temp measurement siturations change temp over an extended period and this would help keep signaling traffic down. The settable value would also let the user control overhead by trading off the increment values it reports.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11453 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2012 :  11:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
A request, not an announcement.

FanLinc 2: a single-gang three-speed SwitchLinc-type device.

Brief details:
Tap On: move up one speed, if Off turn On (Slow, Medium, Fast)
Tap Off: move down one speed, if Slow, turn Off (Fast, Medium, Slow)
Double tap: Fast (top) or Off (bottom)

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1243 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  5:17:16 PM  Show Profile
Someone needs to upgrade the next versions of the triggerlinc, remotelinc 1 /2 to allow them to send a notification that the battery is low. This needs to be configurable via the ISY / HL2 platforms. The simple fact these devices can not do this in 2012 is simply brutal to say the least!

Teken . . .
Go to Top of Page

foxtail22
Average Member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  1:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit foxtail22's Homepage
Since the wireless motion detector already had a daylight/darkness sense capability, it would be nice if a configurable choice was added to allow it to also serve as a daylight/darkness trigger device and be able to send a day/night trigger in addition to the motion function.
Go to Top of Page

rwscott
Starting Member

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2012 :  2:16:06 PM  Show Profile
It does, a group 2 broadcast. Group 3 is a low battery broadcast, and group 1 is for the motion.
Go to Top of Page

carealtor

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  10:36:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit carealtor's Homepage
Now that we have Fanlinc, I would like to see a KPL with 4 big buttons to control it.
Go to Top of Page

nowandthen

26 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  4:47:13 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by carealtor

Now that we have Fanlinc, I would like to see a KPL with 4 big buttons to control it.

Posts near bottom of page 20 and scattered up through page 22 discuss how to modify KPLs. I converted 4 6-button KPLs to four-button based on those posts, but I still want a "real" four button KPL.
Go to Top of Page

carealtor

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2012 :  4:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit carealtor's Homepage
quote:
but I still want a "real" four button KPL.

me too!
Go to Top of Page

foxtail22
Average Member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  11:38:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit foxtail22's Homepage
When using the 2420M Wireless Motion Detector with Houselinc, currently Houselinc only provides the choice to use the "light detected" or ON message as an event trigger. Like the motion selection, it should have a second choice in the event edit pulldown to include "dark detected" OFF message as a choice.
Go to Top of Page

foxtail22
Average Member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  3:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit foxtail22's Homepage
In Houselinc, when sunset/sunrise is being used, it would be nice to have the Conditions field use the same variations (+/- x minutes before or after sunset) rather then just "dark or light outside". If I turn a light on x minutes before sunset and another event using "motion off" to trigger the lamp during the night, uses a condition of "if it is light outside" as a condition, the +/- x minutes "before" trigger setting creates a time window (- x minutes before sunset trigger vs a condition of "it dark outside")that Houselinc cannot handle.
Go to Top of Page

etomami@gmail.com
Starting Member

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2012 :  5:26:21 PM  Show Profile
How about an Inline-linc relay or dimmer module in a surface mount enclosure 6" round by 1" thick that would install between a ceiling box and a light fixture?
Go to Top of Page

foxtail22
Average Member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2012 :  2:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit foxtail22's Homepage
It would be nice if Houselinc supported multiple Email addresses. For example, I Would like to have my system send a refill request to my heating oil supplier when a low oil sensor is triggered.
Go to Top of Page

oktane
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  10:06:51 PM  Show Profile

I need SL and KPL with integrated motion or proximity sensors. This would be ideal to have hardwired motion sensors built into the switches.

This would allow advanced logic to better save power when no one is in a room.

Also, a FanLinc that doesn't require a canopy module.
Go to Top of Page

rogerwise
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2012 :  11:16:48 PM  Show Profile
I'm just getting started with insteon (and loving it) and I only have one real request so far. I'd like a lamp switch that looks like a lamp switch, and mounts directly on a lamp. My wife loves the idea of a smart house, but the kids will get confused if I automate our table and floor lamps. They'll use the built in switch and will be frustrated if the "right" option isn't nearby. Lamps are often beautiful pieces of furniture costing hundreds of dollars (or more). So ... a wireless remote with a single small mini paddle switch, paired with either lampLinc or OutletLink.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page