Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

stusviews

USA
11387 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2012 :  3:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by rogerwise

I'm just getting started with insteon (and loving it) and I only have one real request so far. I'd like a lamp switch that looks like a lamp switch, and mounts directly on a lamp. My wife loves the idea of a smart house, but the kids will get confused if I automate our table and floor lamps. They'll use the built in switch and will be frustrated if the "right" option isn't nearby. Lamps are often beautiful pieces of furniture costing hundreds of dollars (or more). So ... a wireless remote with a single small mini paddle switch, paired with either lampLinc or OutletLink.

Here it is: http://www.smarthome.com/2444A3WH/RemoteLinc-2-INSTEON-Wireless-Switch/p.aspx

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

ELA

318 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  06:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit ELA's Homepage
120VAC Multi-Linc

This probably would not have a great enough demand for Smarthome to entertain this concept... but just throwing it out here.

I would like a device that would ideally be modular in design.
It could have one transceiver with multiple AC outputs. Like the I/O -Lincs but AC outputs (optionally dimmer or relay) with 120VAC style receptacles.

It could be a base module with plug-in optional (AC output or low voltage as well) modules depending upon whether you wanted 2 or more outputs.

The reason I would like to see this is because I have 3 locations (in the same room) where I have two AC devices right next to each other but independently controlled. This room has a total of 11 transceivers in a relatively close area. This presents a large amount of Insteon signal loading. The loading could be greatly reduced by using one transceiver for 2 or more outputs.

Insteon Test Data ->: http://www.elavenue.com/insteon_test_data.html
Go to Top of Page

wcc
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  07:57:35 AM  Show Profile
I've found the dual-band FanLinc RF capability to be highly dependent on fan/box configuration, so....

Lower cost FanLinc without dual-band capability

OR

FanLinc with external antenna

Wayne - Tucson, AZ
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  08:50:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ELA

120VAC Multi-Linc

This probably would not have a great enough demand for Smarthome to entertain this concept... but just throwing it out here.

I would like a device that would ideally be modular in design.
It could have one transceiver with multiple AC outputs. Like the I/O -Lincs but AC outputs (optionally dimmer or relay) with 120VAC style receptacles.

It could be a base module with plug-in optional (AC output or low voltage as well) modules depending upon whether you wanted 2 or more outputs.

The reason I would like to see this is because I have 3 locations (in the same room) where I have two AC devices right next to each other but independently controlled. This room has a total of 11 transceivers in a relatively close area. This presents a large amount of Insteon signal loading. The loading could be greatly reduced by using one transceiver for 2 or more outputs.

Aside from the modularity, the functionality is much like the PowerstripLinc that spyboy suggested way back at the top of page 18. I could use a few of these.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

arw01

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  07:22:02 AM  Show Profile
Reading through the pages, I would also like the PowerstripLinc as mentioned a few times. Something that would have a couple of "control" outlets so you could tell that the TV is on at 3:00am, or that Houselinc, ISY99, Misterhouse or whatever could power down the strip and stop the vampire loss.

The ability to control individual outlets in the powerstriplinc would be a killer app. Some always on outlets too, and enough room for the "brick on a cable" wall warts.
Go to Top of Page

nowandthen

26 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  6:13:00 PM  Show Profile
Color specific LED change kits for Switchlincs.

Please package the LED change kits by color. I like the blue. Smarthome used to offer 8 blue per pack. They have since been discontinued.??? Now I have to buy the multi-color kit for $6.49 just to get two sets of blue. The red, green and yellow are worthless to me, although I have a friend that wants the green. What a waste!. Come on Smarthome, please package by color, is that so hard? How many people want different colors? My scheme is blue, why must i throw away the other colors?

Not likely to buy too many at this rate. :(
Go to Top of Page

bobluckey
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  11:49:52 AM  Show Profile
I want to be able to play a sound file over my audio system without having a computer on or an Unslung like solution. I'd also like to see a better solution for front door/gate interactions between security, intercom and INSTEON systems. I propose these two solutions be the same device. This suggestion would essentially be a major enhancement to the existing Remote Chime Kit.

Dual-Band DoorLinc
  • This device will have audio output capabilities such as stereo RCAs and/or a 3.5mm mini-plug.
  • Audio files, when triggered, will be played from an attached Micro-SD card reader and Micro-SD Card.
  • The connections for the door button will also include a pass through relay with the ability to sense triggers from other home automation systems like security and intercoms.
  • Able to trigger a door strike with additional pass through relay and sense ability like above.

Component Function & Explanations

• Door Bell Button Input: Essentially a SensorLinc. On button press an action is triggered.
  • Button Input Sense and Relays: The pass-through relays would allow security and intercoms systems to continue operate normally when the doorbell button or door strike is activated. By incorporating a sense ability additional actions could be taken when either is used.
  • Micro-SD Reader & Card: I would assume it would read FAT32. Also, it doesn't have to be Micro. Micro just saves space. Similar to dimmer modules and ramp rate, users could users could define files 1-5 (arbitrary number) to play without a controller. Users with a controller could play any number of files. If using a pre-defined file naming scheme the controller could simply be instructed to play file 32 on event trigger.

Example Scenarios & Scenes
  • Nap Time: When its time to put baby Herman down for his afternoon nap, Mom presses the Nap Time scene button on the KeypadLinc in the nursery. When the UPS driver arrives and presses the doorbell button the lights in the main house flash instead of playing the audio alert.
  • Cheap(ish) Music Player: Party scene is initiated and sound files 25-100 are played on a loop.
  • Protector of the Innocent: 16 year old Suzie triggers the door strike from her intercom panel to allow Billy in after midnight. The relay senses this action and and initiates a scene that compares the time of the door strike activation, turns on the lights in the master bedroom and an plays an audio alert exclaiming the detection of excess testosterone. An advanced application/function could, sense the door strike activation attempt, not forward the open signal, activate all interior and exterior lights, initiate an IR command setting the audio zone connected to the DoorLinc to the front exterior audio and play a sound file of a shotgun being cocked. (OK, maybe that's a little too specific)

I'll stop talking finally

When I started typing this suggestion all i wanted was to be able to play a humorous sound file as my door chime, but as with everything INSTEON I quickly found endless possibilities. I know its possible with solutions like I mentioned above, but they aren't sexy (sorry Unslung team you REALLY do have a cool mod) and do nothing for my resale value. They also don't interact well with intercom and security systems (Elk via ISY excluded). I think what I'm suggesting above is both possible and desired. I know I would buy it and I bet a lot of people who were using computers or other devices to integrate audio would to. What i don't know is how it will physically implemented. Will it be a module like the Elk that is added to a structured wiring enclosure? A plug in module or wire-in module that replaces the existing door bell? Heck, Smarthome could even make an offshoot that's a plug in module and only has a card slot and a audio out for cheap and dirty audio zones.

Edited by - bobluckey on 03/05/2012 11:59:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1171 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  1:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
What's Unslung?

I wouldn't integrate the doorbell too closely to the audio function. If nothing else, it can be desirable to have the doorbell chime somewhere else in the house. I do like the idea of a chime module with different sounds. I have three doors so I never know which door someone is at. I could see connecting the doorbells to an IOLinc or Triggerlinc, all announced by a single, central chime module.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

bobluckey
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  1:57:15 PM  Show Profile
quote:
What's Unslung?

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/HomePage
http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=8075

Unslung (as I understand it) is an enhancement to the feature set of a Linksys NSLU2. After applying it to a hacked device, it can be used respond to commands sent from controllers like the ISY-99i. Since I don't want to keep a computer running 24/7 its on my short list to try out. I have no doubts that it will work great for me, but its not something that I can leave with the next owner of the house.

I just want an easy way to trigger a sound based on a trigger. From what I've read those asking about it like me are mainly doing so to tie into a door bell or intercom system.
Go to Top of Page

photoret

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2012 :  11:00:48 PM  Show Profile
Be nice if a GFCI receptacle where made available.
Go to Top of Page

Illusion

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  06:45:47 AM  Show Profile
Two product requests:

Serial Dual Band PLM Pro:

Larger power supply for full power RF transmission, power for connected ISY, power for full power power line transmissions.

Larger database with associated faster internal processing. Capable of 2000 links.

External RF antenna if it will improve RF comms.

Switch to disable RF comms, for trouble shooting.

Switch to disable power line comms for trouble shooting.

If both switches were thrown, the PLM would be deaf and dumb. Great for counting links from within the ISY where no traffic could corrupt the count.

Second Product request:

Brail KPL button covers.
Go to Top of Page

Snownh2o2

16 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  06:41:53 AM  Show Profile
Clear buttons are nice in that they can be rapidly customized, however the clear'ness' on the edges make the look cheap. Especially at night. Using thick off white card stock paper (note card like) and the right color ink (black is too dark), makes the face of the buttons look similar to the expensive buttons, however the egdes shine way too much light. I have not found a good way to fix the issue, nor a good way to modify blank white buttons.

I it would be nice if the clear buttons had colored edges. I personally use white, however I am sure the darker colors look even worse with clear buttons.

Note: The custom smarthome buttons are great, however Smarthome is DIY, and not a one time contractor install. I add a ton of new stuff each year, changing buttons is way too common to order the fancy ones.
Go to Top of Page

nowandthen

26 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2012 :  9:24:02 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Snownh2o2

Clear buttons are nice in that they can be rapidly customized, however the clear'ness' on the edges make the look cheap. Especially at night. Using thick off white card stock paper (note card like) and the right color ink (black is too dark), makes the face of the buttons look similar to the expensive buttons, however the egdes shine way too much light. I have not found a good way to fix the issue, nor a good way to modify blank white buttons.

I it would be nice if the clear buttons had colored edges. I personally use white, however I am sure the darker colors look even worse with clear buttons.

Note: The custom smarthome buttons are great, however Smarthome is DIY, and not a one time contractor install. I add a ton of new stuff each year, changing buttons is way too common to order the fancy ones.

I use my P-touch, black ink on clear tape, 12mm (.047") wide, works great for KPLs. Very durable. Yes if you look close you can see the edge of the tape but it's easy to customize and doesn't look bad IMO, I pretty picky but accept the trade offs as it doesn't cost much and can be easily changed. My switches are ivory, not white. YMMV.
Go to Top of Page

Snownh2o2

16 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2012 :  10:45:44 AM  Show Profile
This discussion shows how to use the stock buttons, polish off the stock screen printing, add a clear label, and protect it with another clear label. There are good pictures in the following post:

(Posted - 12/30/2011 : 1:31:50 PM)

https://198.173.162.55/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2365

Matt
Go to Top of Page

Phils03
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2012 :  3:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Phils03's Homepage
I have been struggling with 2 capabilities for several of my customers. I have been using z-wave and am trying to switch to insteon.

I have two homes that need to be monitored for temperature in various spots (crawl space, bathroom on outside wall, etc.) I need to run 4 or 5 monitors and react to problems. Z-wave has a nice temp/motion monitor which works great. We need this cap. in Insteon.

I need an integrated, dual band, door lock with an integrated door position sensor so when I lock the door I know it is closed. Z-wave has a great selection of integrated dead bolts (not with door position sense). This seems so easy I don't understand why it isn't a product.

Thanks for attention to these issues. I love how solid my insteon network preforms.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11387 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2012 :  3:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
Phils03, SH has a number of temperature sensors that can interface with an I/O Linc. The same is true about dead bolt door locks.

Go to Top of Page

Phils03
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2012 :  5:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Phils03's Homepage
I just ordered INSTEON Energy Display Item# 2448A2, it looks like this is a wireless sensor which can be put in a crawl space where there is no power available. I wasn't clear about wanting no wires.

I talked with Morning Industries about their lock solution. Problem is, no feedback/status and extra device/lock in big house (over 30 feet). I was hoping for something like Kwikset 910, or Schlage BE369, or Yale D220ZW619. All communicate directly with the network and in both directions.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11387 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2012 :  5:39:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
The Energy Display is a display, not a sensor. It will respond to as many as three iMeter Solo - INSTEON Power Meter (Plug-In) sensors.

Go to Top of Page

Phils03
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2012 :  5:45:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Phils03's Homepage
But doesn't it measure temperature at its' location?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11387 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2012 :  6:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
The purpose of the Energy Display is to wirelessly monitor energy use of up to three lamps and/or appliances. It includes a built-in thermometer that displays the temperature at its location.

So does a standalone thermometer.

Go to Top of Page

jtempleton
Average Member

70 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2012 :  12:19:31 PM  Show Profile
Switchlinc Fan

It's great that you added the fanlinc, but I already have seperate switches (switchlink dimmer for light, switchlinc relay for fan motor) for every fan in my house. I also don;t really like the idea of having to use 4 buttons on any controiler to switch speeds. Why not just have dim/bright step up and down through the speeds?

What I'm really hoping for is a switchlinc specifically for fans, it could use the same inputs people are used to with the switchlincs - hold up/down to increase/decrease fan speed (stepping between the 4 speeds). Also, it could support remote dim/bright commands to increase/decrease speed. If people wanted to set a speed directly, they could just set it to the correct brightness level.
Go to Top of Page

Phils03
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2012 :  12:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Phils03's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

The purpose of the Energy Display is to wirelessly monitor energy use of up to three lamps and/or appliances. It includes a built-in thermometer that displays the temperature at its location.

So does a standalone thermometer.

So this monitor can't be read by software and therefore the temp. Reading isn't available remotely?
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11387 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2012 :  10:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
Energy use can be monitored/viewed remotely on the Energy Display. It shows energy used by any device plugged into as many as three iMeter Solos that are linked to the display. That is the purpose of the Energy Display. A built-in thermometer is included with the display.

See my previous post about temperature, not energy, sensors.

Go to Top of Page

SeniorMan
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2012 :  10:20:14 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see RemoteLinc with a USB connection so that devices can be entered by computer. It is very awkward in its present state.
Go to Top of Page

dankumm
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2012 :  12:39:25 PM  Show Profile
The one thing stopping me from buying several insteon products as the backbone of my home automation system is the inability of insteon to allow ip camera motion events as triggers for its other products. Ie if something is captured on the ip cameras throughout my house i'd like them to trigger lights to turn on and alarm to sound. I do not want to have to buy motion sensors to sit next to my ip cameras to do this as it is unnecessarily redundant. Would like my cameras to be the motion sensors in the insteon scenes. As soon as this is supported I am all in.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11387 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2012 :  6:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by SeniorMan

I would like to see RemoteLinc with a USB connection so that devices can be entered by computer. It is very awkward in its present state.

Both HouseLinc and an ISY allow you to add devices to the
RemoteLinc using a computer. There is other home automation software with that feature, too.

Go to Top of Page

grinder
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  3:24:58 PM  Show Profile
I have several ideas for monitors that I would like to see with built-in INSTEON networking capabilities:

• External light levels (allow you to turn on lights when it gets dark, rather than based on time)
  • Fire/smoke detector
  • Carbon monoxide/LP/Natural gas detector
  • Anemometer (might be helpful to know if your shingles are getting blown off your roof)
  • Humidistat (is your crawlspace growing moldy??)
  • Seismic activity (probably unnecessary where I live, but California...)

I know there are ways to get some of these to work with an I/OLinc device attached, but note I said "built-in" INSTEON.

It would also be nice to see SwitchLincs with lighted buttons and/or motion sensors and OutletLincs with lights that come on if the power goes out (I'm okay with this replacing the non-controlled outlet).

Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8566 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  3:39:09 PM  Show Profile
Not exactly what you are asking for, but the ISY controller has a weatherbug plugin to allow you to control your lights using a nearby weatherbug station's ambient light detection. The dusk/dawn detector on the motion sensor is also adjustable using the ISY or HouseLinc.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

srogala

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2012 :  2:48:13 PM  Show Profile
How about an Insteon-compatible thermostat with Rh AND Rc.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11387 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2012 :  7:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
Rc and Rh thermostats are used primarily when cooling is added to an existing heating system.

A major difficulty is creating a digital, programmable thermostat that can handle two independent power supplies. In most cases, it's easier to reconnect the existing wires differently. Unfortunately, that's not possible 100% of the time.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page