Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

srogala

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  10:52:52 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

Rc and Rh thermostats are used primarily when cooling is added to an existing heating system.

A major difficulty is creating a digital, programmable thermostat that can handle two independent power supplies. In most cases, it's easier to reconnect the existing wires differently. Unfortunately, that's not possible 100% of the time.

I understand that, but it seems like most manufacturers accommodate this situation, albeit with non-Insteon thermostats, so there must be some need. Every Honeywell I looked at at Home Depot could handle it, and I picked up a Filtrete one that could as well. The new ZigBee that Smarthome just advertised can handle it as well http://www.smarthome.com/29919/ecobee-EB-SmartSi-01-Smart-Si-Zigbee-Compatible-Wi-Fi-Thermostat/p.aspx. So I while I understand it is somewhat of an anomaly, it seems like most manufacturers have acknowledged it's existence and seen enough of a market to accommodate it. It just happens that I want to accommodate it in an Insteon environment.
Go to Top of Page

Korey
Starting Member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  08:02:32 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by EVIL Teken

quote:
Originally posted by Jim3535

I would love to see a version of the keypadlinc units with RGB LEDs behind the buttons. I'd like to be able to program the buttons to change color depending on the status of my garage door, various devices, scenes, etc. I know the color change kits are available, but I'd like to be able to change the color pragmatically.

I would also like to see a version of the appliance linc relay that can control multiple outlets. Like a 2 or 4 outlet power strip.

I would like to affirm these two excellent ideas as well!

+1000

Go to Top of Page

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2012 :  11:23:17 PM  Show Profile
I would like to see a Keypadlinc where you could select any of the 8 buttons to control the local load rather than just the A button.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1243 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2012 :  08:41:37 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dss

I would like to see a Keypadlinc where you could select any of the 8 buttons to control the local load rather than just the A button.

+1000

Teken . . .
Go to Top of Page

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  6:10:02 PM  Show Profile
How about an Insteon controlled air vent register? Kind of like this but Insteon controlled and less plasticy:

http://www.smarthome.com/31701/Pasutech-Click-Vent-4-x-10-Remote-Control-Air-Register/p.aspx

With scenes, motion sensors, Insteon Thermostat you could have a setup similar to a zone HVAC system.

Go to Top of Page

nowandthen

26 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  6:19:51 PM  Show Profile
How about not discontinuing the Icon switches? The move to all RF is very costly. Seems to be the only choice going forward. $60 for a switch. Used to be you could get one for $35. And at that I would generally pay a little more for the Switchlinc ($45), but dang $60!
Go to Top of Page

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2012 :  11:53:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by nowandthen

How about not discontinuing the Icon switches? The move to all RF is very costly. Seems to be the only choice going forward. $60 for a switch. Used to be you could get one for $35. And at that I would generally pay a little more for the Switchlinc ($45), but dang $60!

They should make the Icon line powerline only and the main line dual band powerline/RF.
Go to Top of Page

scarecrow724
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  8:09:28 PM  Show Profile

SmartLinc - INSTEON Central Controller 2412N

I would like to be able to download and upload saved settings, so after doing a factory reset it's just a upload away.

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11446 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  8:20:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by scarecrow724

SmartLinc - INSTEON Central Controller 2412N

I would like to be able to download and upload saved settings, so after doing a factory reset it's just a upload away.

HouseLinc can do it. It's an additional cost, but includes many more features including adding, removing, and modifying SmartLinc links.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.
Go to Top of Page

greensha

38 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2012 :  11:12:57 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see dark KPL buttons with a legend in a lighter transparent color so that the backlight illuminated the legend, rather than the legend appear dark against a bright background.

I have a kpl in my home theater, which is primarily used in very low light conditions. If the brown kpl button kit(http://www.smarthome.com/2401BR6/6-Button-Change-Kit-for-KeypadLinc-Brown/p.aspx?green=57A3FB55-ABED-5AD5-961D-B7A6FEC8B3EC) worked in this way, it would look really good.

From a manufacturing point of view, I don't think this would be hard to do.
Go to Top of Page

dave@newbern.org
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2012 :  06:05:34 AM  Show Profile
I posted this in its own thread, not wanting it to get buried in here. It was usggested that I re-post it in here. So,...

Controlling/dimming inexpensive LED lights is only going to become more popular, especially when I can get a spool of cheap self-adhesive LEDs for $20 with enough to do a kitchen. It seems a waste to screw around with inductive 12v power supplies when it should be relatively simple to build a solid state 12v power supply into an InLine-Linc package and position the triac on the low voltage side.

Do it! do it now!
Go to Top of Page

boing
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  8:15:29 PM  Show Profile
I'm a total noob but I just bought a bunch of Insteon stuff from SH to do some cool things at my house and have hit what seems to be either an obvious product gap OR me needing to get a clue. :)

That being said:

The KeypadLinc2's all seem to want to 'control' something and as others have noted it seems that whatever they are controlling is tied to the first button. In my case I'd rather just not have them control anything. I can do this with a RemoteLinc2 but then I have to worry about batteries for them. I'd really like a Keypadlinc2 with neither an on/off or a dimmer. It would have 0 load capacity because it wouldn't directly control anything - it would only be Controller for other responders. Did that make sense? :)

I 'think' in my case I'm just going to cap the load wires of my KeypadLinc2's but it seems silly to have all the extra 'stuff' in there at all. I'm completely redoing the fixtures in the house I bought and it's actually frustrating me that I need to worry about 'what did that switch that I'm really just wanting to use for power used to control.' (There - that almost certainly didn't make sense!).

Thanks for all the pages of great info in to forum so far!

Boing!
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11446 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  8:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
I have at least a dozen Insteon devices with no load connected (red wire capped). It's fairly common among posters (known) and other users (unknown)

Go to Top of Page

boing
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  8:39:29 PM  Show Profile
quote:

I have at least a dozen Insteon devices with no load connected (red wire capped). It's fairly common among posters (known) and other users (unknown)

Glad to know my 'gut' was in line with the rest of the scene. :) Thanks for the validation.

Boing!
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8594 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2012 :  8:42:58 PM  Show Profile
Q. "Why not sell switches and keypads without built-in dimmers or relays?"

Someone asks that question around here every few months. To me, the answer comes from a simple cost vs. benefit breakdown.

Pros: you reduce the parts cost by removing a triac or relay and a load wire;
you shrink the instructions by cutting out any references to programming or control of a local load.

Cons: you increase the cost of production, marketing, inventory management, and sales and handling by creating twice as many varieties of Insteon devices;
you increase the complexity of the customer ordering process (customer now has to figure out, prior to ordering, which locations need local devices and which don't, inevitably creating situations where customers end up with the wrong parts for the job);
you increase the cost of support and returns when people call in because they mis-ordered or received the wrong part.

Since the cost of the relay/triac and wire are minimal (I suspect under $4) compared to all the other costs of design, manufacturing, marketing and support, it's difficult to see how it would make sense to split up the product line.

Look at it this way--they give you a 'free' load control with purchase of every KeypadLinc or SwitchLinc, whether you need it or not!

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11446 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  4:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
A waterproof (i.e., outdoor) battery operated SwitchLinc type device.

Go to Top of Page

icerabbit
Average Member

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  1:11:21 PM  Show Profile
A dual-band Insteon GFCI receptacle that is cold weather tolerant.

I would instantly buy a dozen or more of these as drop-in replacements for existing GFCIs on the outside of the house, shed, deck, etc. to control whatever we have plugged in year round and christmas time.

These GFCIs would also greatly simplify outdoor circuit control and eliminate the issues with the ApplianceLinc dongles which are not elegant and powerline only, and due to the length in wiring & different subpanels in my house, hard to control without additional equipment, all while each of them is just 25 ft away from another. With dual-band in open air around the perimeter of the house, these dual band GFCIs should have not trouble talking to each other and could greatly improve coverage inside the house as well.
Go to Top of Page

icerabbit
Average Member

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  1:29:31 PM  Show Profile
A dual-band dual-receptacle ApplianceLinc dongle

+ more space allowance with any ApplianceLinc to allow for male plugs that are molded bigger.

Why dual-band? To eliminate powerline coverage issues.

Why dual-receptacle? So that you can plug one ApplianceLinc into a GFCI outlet near a water feature (for example) and have separate control over a pond pump and a pond light. Thus eliminating the need for a second GFCI outlet and a second dongle.

I set up my first outdoor ApplianceLinc - Item# 2456S3E - last night (outlet on side of the house) and had to abandon three extension cords, because their male plugs do not fit into the female ApplianceLinc Socket???

There is only a nominal gap between the female receptacle and the drip edge / case edge. The good quality extension cords from three different vendors all have a small bump opposite the ground plug. They are 16, 14 and 12 gauge and above average grade.

If the male plug does not have a slender plug akin that of an indoor appliance it is rubbing that edge or plain old doesn't fit.

Seems like not enough testing was done and that the casing or that lip should have been designed a few mm bigger. I've never had trouble using these cords nor have I had to shave a plug down to make it fit into something.

The ApplianceLinc cords are a bit short and too stiff. I don't think I've ever seen 14gauge wire that stiff.

Go to Top of Page

icerabbit
Average Member

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  1:31:06 PM  Show Profile
An Insteon Pet Flap that allows one to remotely and automatically set the flap to: Open, Closed, In Only, Out Only.

Our pets are allowed outside the house, but I prefer to keep them inside after dark.

An Insteon pet flap that could (automatically and remotely) switch to open at dawn and in-only at sunset would be ideal for our family. Plus the other functions on demand would be great as well.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
1243 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2012 :  3:35:13 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by icerabbit

An Insteon Pet Flap that allows one to remotely and automatically set the flap to: Open, Closed, In Only, Out Only.

Our pets are allowed outside the house, but I prefer to keep them inside after dark.

An Insteon pet flap that could (automatically and remotely) switch to open at dawn and in-only at sunset would be ideal for our family. Plus the other functions on demand would be great as well.

I don't have any pets. But, after reading your suggestion I might use that one on my GF!
Go to Top of Page

icerabbit
Average Member

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2012 :  4:38:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by EVIL Teken

quote:

I don't have any pets. But, after reading your suggestion I might use that one on my GF!

You must have an interesting relationship with your girlfriend ;)
Go to Top of Page

icerabbit
Average Member

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2012 :  4:46:21 PM  Show Profile
KeypadLinc 8-Button On/Off Switch Dual-Band

Based on the wiring in my house, really want/need things to be dual-band. I would like to have a few 8 button switches without the need to upgrade caps on a 6 button one.
Go to Top of Page

icerabbit
Average Member

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2012 :  5:19:24 PM  Show Profile
Insteon Thermometer dual-band, simple.

No need for a more expensive thermostat model and then not use any of the thermostat features. Just something you can plug into a wall socket in an area you want to monitor (inside or outside) and it reports the temperature.

Insteon Thermometer dual band with switched receptacle

You could have a secondary model has a 15A plug, that when a certain temp is reached, it can switch whatever is plugged in on or off, respectively. Like an alert lamp, de-icing heat strip, fan, ...

Edited by - icerabbit on 09/30/2012 5:25:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11446 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2012 :  5:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:

No need for a more expensive thermostat model and then not use any of the thermostat features. Just something you can plug into a wall socket in an area you want to monitor (inside or outside) and it reports the temperature.

You could have a secondary model has a 15A plug, that when a certain temp is reached, it can switch whatever is plugged in on or off, respectively. Like an alert lamp, de-icing heat strip, fan, ...

I'd add a wired and/or wireless sensor as most receptacles are not in a good location for monitoring temperatures.

Go to Top of Page

icerabbit
Average Member

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  06:13:02 AM  Show Profile
Excellent point.

And, the wireless sensor has the benefit that you don't need to run a wire or drill a hole to get the sensor in the right place.

In my case I'd use these to know what the weather is and run something as needed manually, or automated. Now, I know simple anti-freeze thermostats exist, but you don't have any remote monitoring with it while these things are in a crawl space, shed, ... nor do you get any override control besides getting to the plug.

quote:

quote:

I'd add a wired and/or wireless sensor as most receptacles are not in a good location for monitoring temperatures.

Edited by - icerabbit on 10/01/2012 2:01:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8594 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2012 :  2:02:12 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by smfo

How about reversing the switched outlet on ApplianceLinc, FilterLinc, Lamp Dimmer and any other unit with the outlet on the bottom.
Most new appliances and extension cords are equiped with a low profile plug that can't clear the wall when plugged in.

Sorry! this should be in the Product/Module Requests Area.
Don't know how to fix it.!

Consider it fixed!
Go to Top of Page

Fraser
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  11:58:02 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see an Outletlink with the non-controlled socket being a triggerlink.
The two should be independent of each other.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8594 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  12:08:01 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Fraser

I would like to see an Outletlink with the non-controlled socket being a triggerlink.
The two should be independent of each other.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. If they started building these by the millions, what would you use it to operate and track?

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
11446 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  3:28:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
A TriggerLinc uses a magnet or a dry contact to send an Insteon signal. Would plugging something into the outlet activate the trigger similar to the magnet included with the OutletLinc dimmer (which connects the dimmer when something is plugged in)?

Go to Top of Page

Fraser
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2012 :  06:48:51 AM  Show Profile
Sorry for the confusion here. I meant a SynchroLinc (just got the name wrong). My use case have the SynchroLinc monitor the power status of a TV and when it is on, switch on some interface devices (HDMI over CAT6 cable ...) at the TV and the AV rack in another part of the building.
Other than the Insteon functions the reason I want this in a Outletlinc package is so it takes up less (no) room is the box behind the TV.

quote:

A TriggerLinc uses a magnet or a dry contact to send an Insteon signal. Would plugging something into the outlet activate the trigger similar to the magnet included with the OutletLinc dimmer (which connects the dimmer when something is plugged in)?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page