New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

jwagner010

57 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2012 :  7:16:40 PM  Show Profile
It would be nice to see an outletlinc that is three pronged that operates as an on/ off outlet when there is no key but can also take a key that blocks the earth to make it a dimmer and two pronged. That way we would have some flexibility with our outletlincs and wouldn't have to swap out between relay and dimmer outletlincs, we could just have one model. Would also allow Smarthome to simplify the product line and just build one outletlinc versus the two today.

Edited by - jwagner010 on 10/21/2012 7:27:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2012 :  6:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by jwagner010

It would be nice to see an outletlinc that is three pronged that operates as an on/ off outlet when there is no key but can also take a key that blocks the earth to make it a dimmer and two pronged. That way we would have some flexibility with our outletlincs and wouldn't have to swap out between relay and dimmer outletlincs, we could just have one model. Would also allow Smarthome to simplify the product line and just build one outletlinc versus the two today.

A dimmer/relay, the "dimlay"

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

ajiuo

32 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2012 :  7:21:11 PM  Show Profile
Idea 1) A 6-8 speed fanlinc & dual rocker controler to controle it... Similar to the lutron dual digital dimmer/ fan speed controle with canapé modual...

Idea 2) Switchlinc/dimmerlinc with built in motion/light/dark sensor. Less charging = fun :-)
Go to Top of Page

ajiuo

32 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2012 :  9:00:25 PM  Show Profile
Also a Mac version of your houslinc software would be spectacular... Yes there are more mc's out there... But apple is currently growing a lot faster then the windows base... It might be nice to support apple... :-)
Go to Top of Page

yeswork

30 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  08:19:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi,

I think there is some glitch with the current "Hub" Android app.

I downloaded the new Insteon Hub Android App v 1.0 (not for the Smartlinc 2412N). I wanted to see what it looked like and to try to glean some idea as to the new hub functionality. As I recall it was about 1 MB in size.

My Android phone got an auto update message suggesting I download v 1.0.1 for the new Hub. But I could not, my phone complained that the updated version was 32MB in size and I did not have enough free space on my phone.

Yikes! The Insteon Android app for the Smartlinc is 554K in size. The new Hub must really be packing some features to need an app 32MB in size (wink!).

Wow, to me, this huge app seems have been created in an Insteon-is-the-center-of-the-universe state of mind. EMBEDDED Video???

1) this app is huge - google maps, with downloaded images of Boston only takes 16MB, copilot gps (a car navigation app) only takes 18MB - with the entire map of the USA PRELOADED.

2) many android phones have a limited amount of ram, typically 512 to 1GB. This app hogs a huge amount of that ram. The phones do have SD card storage, but an app has to be written to take advantage of the SD card. Currently this app does not.

3) Why embed these videos at all? Most videos like this are only looked at in the learning/installing stage. Since the hub is a NETWORK device, the user probably has Internet access - why not LINK to the videos instead of embed something probably accessed only a few times?

Please, write an app that "plays nice!"

I look forward to a slimmed down app.
Go to Top of Page

ajiuo

32 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2012 :  10:47:12 PM  Show Profile
An insteon version of the Phillips Hue
Go to Top of Page

kvander51
Average Member

76 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2012 :  09:53:52 AM  Show Profile
Not exactly a new product request, but rather a request that Home Depot sell more Insteon modules than they currently do. In particular, I would like to see the dimmable OutletLinc (2472DWH) on their website. They already sell the 2473SWH, so why not the 2472DWH?
Go to Top of Page

ltoolio

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2012 :  09:11:08 AM  Show Profile
I have to believe this is in the thread already (search didn't work as well as I had hoped) but:

How about a Dual-Band ToggleLinc Relay and Dimmer? My undercounter lighting switch in the kitchen does not have access to a neutral, and the Dual-Band Dimmer does not really fit the style.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2012 :  1:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ltoolio

I have to believe this is in the thread already (search didn't work as well as I had hoped) but:

How about a Dual-Band ToggleLinc Relay and Dimmer? My undercounter lighting switch in the kitchen does not have access to a neutral, and the Dual-Band Dimmer does not really fit the style.

All dual-band devices require a neutral. Any relay type switch, dual-band or not, also requires a neutral.

A 2-wire ToggleLinc RF only dimmer is possible (incandescent only), but may not be feasible if the demand is not great enough. Most other home automation manufacturers don't even offer a toggle type switch of any kind.

It is a good idea

Go to Top of Page

Sammer

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  10:42:58 AM  Show Profile
An updated, preferably better looking, dual band replacement for the discontinued ControLinc.
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1205 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  11:14:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Sammer

An updated, preferably better looking, dual band replacement for the discontinued ControLinc.

Dual-band KPL in a tabletop enclosure? Then you also get feedback about what devices are currently on.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

Sammer

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  11:35:22 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jdale

Dual-band KPL in a tabletop enclosure? Then you also get feedback about what devices are currently on.

Possibly but the dual band KeypadLinc is considerably more expensive than the ControLinc was and is too big to fit in the tabletop enclosure Smarthome sells.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  4:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
The KeypadLinc dimmers are not dual-band, yet

Go to Top of Page

Envirogreen

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  12:29:15 PM  Show Profile
a big +1 for 4 button KPL

a slightly smaller +1 for a wired motion detector (integrated into a dimmer switch - not a fan of the look but something like http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=ODS0D-IDT§ion=38557&minisite=10251...would definitely buy, but if I could only buy one it would be the 4 button.`

Edited by - Envirogreen on 12/04/2012 2:16:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

bipto
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  9:16:01 PM  Show Profile
IMO, what Insteon is sorely lacking is a means of local control for desk / table / pole lamps. You guys know the drill - husband plugs lamp in to a LampLinc which turns it on at a specified time, wife comes along and turns lamp off at the socket switch, preventing further Insteon control until the husband figures it out and returns lamp socket switch to 'on'. We need a way that such a lamp could be controlled both locally and remotely via Insteon.

'Touch' lamps have been around for years... Why couldn't Insteon technology be integrated in to generic touch lamp modules such as these?

http://www.touchandglow.com/product-p/t-302s.htm
http://www.touchandglow.com/product-p/m-102.htm

Seems like it ought to be simple, and relatively cheap as well, no..?

Living in an older home with little ceiling or switched outlet lighting, the majority of our lighting is made up of free-standing lamps. I would immediately be in the market for at least 6-8 such devices, and I can imagine countless homeowners seeking a similar solution.

Edited by - bipto on 12/10/2012 9:25:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

matapan
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2012 :  07:50:09 AM  Show Profile
Three product ideas:

1. A Switchlinc Relay/Dimmer switch with a a motion sensor built in, for use in bathrooms/conference rooms. The AC powered motion sensor could be two way, instead of the transmit only mode of the battery operated motion sensors.

2. An Outletlinc with a single AC plug and 2 USB plugs, all controlled via Insteon.

3. An all-purpose Switchlinc device, capable of functioning as a dimmer or a relay. Nice to be able to install a Switchlinc anywhere, regardless of the bulb type or device connected to it.
Go to Top of Page

matapan
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2012 :  07:51:29 AM  Show Profile
One more idea:
- Insteon controlled lock with two way communication. Report out actual lock state.
Go to Top of Page

jfoster06
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2012 :  10:43:14 PM  Show Profile
I would love dual band everything!!!!

Why are there not dual band 8 button dimmers yet!? and why did they release the outletlinc dimmer as dual band... but not let the appliancelinc be dual band!?

The idea of a insteon power strip would be awesome too!
Go to Top of Page

Envirogreen

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  04:51:53 AM  Show Profile
love the idea of a dual band power strip. Could see so many potential use cases!
Go to Top of Page

sophiawhite
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2012 :  04:12:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit sophiawhite's Homepage
When will 230/50Hz product be available for Europe and Australia?

Business Broadband and Phone
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1205 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2012 :  08:29:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
Wireless Insteon doorbell. A 24V doorbell wouldn't hurt either, for those who are replacing existing ones, but I can't be the only one with no existing wired doorbell.

Of course a dual-band chime module to go with it, but that's come up before.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

RT1
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2012 :  09:55:52 AM  Show Profile
Re: Insteon Hub (shipping in 12/2012). Stop using customers as beta testers or in this case, alpha testers. The Insteon Hub should have never been shipped as it is and Smarthome should have tested it before starting shipments. There is no excuse for manufacturing nor shipping products that are not ready for prime time.
Go to Top of Page

Nzc
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  6:51:50 PM  Show Profile
+1 for the two way door lock with status.
+1 for the wireless doorbell

Go to Top of Page

Spike56

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  5:33:13 PM  Show Profile
Not a new product, but a simple improvement for an existing product:

I would like to have small raised bumps on the top keys of the RemoteLinc2, similar to the tactile aids on the F and J keys on a computer keyboard to find the home keys. Bumps on the top row of the RemoteLinc2 would ensure the device is oriented correctly when you pick it up in the dark, or without taking your eyes off the TV.
Go to Top of Page

genixia
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2013 :  10:33:51 AM  Show Profile
Dimmable LED current drivers for 12/24V LED strips.
Dual band togglelincs
Dual band keypadlincs
A holistic housesync/hub experience that doesn't make me want to tear my hair out.
Insteon lighting fixtures for standard lighting track. Keep the track powered, but control each fixture independently.
Go to Top of Page

DisplacedHusker
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2013 :  4:43:21 PM  Show Profile
Outlet Link for outdoors
Go to Top of Page

roka
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2013 :  5:01:11 PM  Show Profile
A simple temperature sensor plugged in via an outlet to support with power or similar to the water leak sensor (powered by battery).
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2013 :  5:19:40 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DisplacedHusker

Outlet Link for outdoors

(FWIW, I have used both standard OutletLincs in outdoor enclosures and Outdoor ApplianceLincs in cold weather, outdoor applications without any difficulty. Have you tried either solution?)

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

DualBandAid

15 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2013 :  12:28:13 PM  Show Profile
Multiple pre-set dim levels would be nice on the SwitchLinc-type products (or any controller). By that I mean...

Right now, I can set my Insteon devices to easily give me two options...

1) A Pre-Set Dimmed Level - available via a single on-click
2) Full Intensity - available via a double-click

But there are many times I'm finding there are other dim levels that I'd like. What would be really awesome is, for example, being able to set:

Dim Level 1 - let's say 25%
Dim Level 2 - how about 50%

So one on-click takes me to 25%. The next on-click takes me to 50%. A double-click takes me to 100%, of course.

Another way to put it is, if I come home and the lights are set to 50%...and it's starting to get dark our and I want to dim them further, I can just down-click once and the light will drop down to the next "Dim Level".

I find - and I imagine I'm not alone - that I use multiple dim levels for certain lights. In the dim morning, about 80%. By afternoon, 100%. As the sun is going down, I drop to 60%. Then as it's even darker...around 30%. I don't need to program ALL of them - that would be too much. But even being given just a SECOND pre-set dim level would be nice.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2013 :  12:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by roka

A simple temperature sensor plugged in via an outlet to support with power or similar to the water leak sensor (powered by battery).

http://www.smarthome.com/24950A7/I-O-Linc-INSTEON-High-and-Low-Temperature-Threshold-Kit/p.aspx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page