Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2013 :  12:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DualBandAid

Multiple pre-set dim levels would be nice on the SwitchLinc-type products (or any controller). By that I mean...

Right now, I can set my Insteon devices to easily give me two options...

1) A Pre-Set Dimmed Level - available via a single on-click
2) Full Intensity - available via a double-click

But there are many times I'm finding there are other dim levels that I'd like. What would be really awesome is, for example, being able to set:

Dim Level 1 - let's say 25%
Dim Level 2 - how about 50%

So one on-click takes me to 25%. The next on-click takes me to 50%. A double-click takes me to 100%, of course.

Easily done using a KPL. And you don't have to tap twice (slowly, BTW, to distinguish from a double-tap) to go from off to 50% and only one tap needed from off to 100%. Even 100% to 25% needs only one tap.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

majortom

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  08:13:58 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Envirogreen

a big +1 for 4 button KPL

My biggest request would be a KPL that can be configured as needed (from 2 giant buttons through 8 little ones) and with the ability to move the main load to a different button. Extra credit for being able to lock out local control (for example in a public place during an event, one might want to prevent people from playing with the lights or for observant Jews, disabling the buttons on the Sabbath) or being able to lock out remote control (for example one might want to put in a KPL Relay next to the sink to control the disposal in order to get buttons to control other lights, but wouldn't want anyone remotely controlling it. :-) ).

/carmi
Go to Top of Page

eduardo_garcia
Average Member

Brazil
119 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  11:09:56 AM  Show Profile  Send eduardo_garcia an AOL message
another 1+ for 4 button frame.
Go to Top of Page

roka
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2013 :  1:40:02 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

quote:
Originally posted by roka

A simple temperature sensor plugged in via an outlet to support with power or similar to the water leak sensor (powered by battery).

http://www.smarthome.com/24950A7/I-O-Linc-INSTEON-High-and-Low-Temperature-Threshold-Kit/p.aspx

This is only a high/low alert sensor. It's not actually able to just report back the current temperature.
I'd like to be able to open up the mobile Insteon app, select e.g. "kids room" and read the current temperature.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2013 :  12:44:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
Insteon Wireless Thermostat and any nearby dual-band device.

A wired thermostat is not required to read the temperature.

Go to Top of Page

traviskleckner
Average Member

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  12:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Send traviskleckner an ICQ Message
Ditto! Specifically, I'd like to be able to select the on and off colors. Typically you'd just have the off color be the same as the rest of the buttons, but then allow the button to illuminate red (or blue, or green) when on. Along the same lines, I'd love a KPL to NOT allow local control to do anything.

I've got my garage door sensor indicating when it's open. I'd love for it to show RED when open so I could see it at a glance. Also, since pressing that button doesn't do anything (but ruin my indication of the status) I'd like pressing it to do nothing.

quote:
Originally posted by Korey

quote:
Originally posted by EVIL Teken

quote:
Originally posted by Jim3535

I would love to see a version of the keypadlinc units with RGB LEDs behind the buttons. I'd like to be able to program the buttons to change color depending on the status of my garage door, various devices, scenes, etc. I know the color change kits are available, but I'd like to be able to change the color pragmatically.

I would also like to see a version of the appliance linc relay that can control multiple outlets. Like a 2 or 4 outlet power strip.

I would like to affirm these two excellent ideas as well!

+1000

Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2013 :  12:29:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by traviskleckner

I've got my garage door sensor indicating when it's open. I'd love for it to show RED when open so I could see it at a glance.

I use this: http://www.smarthome.com/2401L/LED-Color-Change-Kit-for-KeypadLinc-4-Color/p.aspx

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  5:55:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage

Go to Top of Page

rharkinsKC
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  6:58:38 PM  Show Profile
How about a module that can handle low power loads cleanly?

ApplianceLinc, SwitchLinc, and OutletLinc all suffer from the inability to handle very low power loads. Lots of threads here about LEDs flashing or not turning off completely. The manuals for these products all mention this, and the only solution is to add more load.

Many years ago I installed halogen under-cabinet lights in the kitchen. I only had a single switch that controlled the overhead lights. I replaced the wall switch with a SwitchLinc, and controlled the halogens with a linked ApplianceLinc. Worked great!

After my wife melted our new Keureg coffee maker by placing it directly under the halogen puck, I replaced the halogen with strip LED lights. The new LEDs flash every second or two when off.
Go to Top of Page

ajiuo

32 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  7:21:36 PM  Show Profile
Something like this to control fanlinc + 7 speed fanlinc

Something like this a switchlinc/dimmerlinc with built in motion sensor

Go to Top of Page

ajiuo

32 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2013 :  8:03:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rharkinsKC

ApplianceLinc, SwitchLinc, and OutletLinc all suffer from the inability to handle very low power loads. Lots of threads here about LEDs flashing or not turning off completely. The manuals for these products all mention this, and the only solution is to add more load.

Many years ago I installed halogen under-cabinet lights in the kitchen. I only had a single switch that controlled the overhead lights. I replaced the wall switch with a SwitchLinc, and controlled the halogens with a linked ApplianceLinc. Worked great!

After my wife melted our new Keureg coffee maker by placing it directly under the halogen puck, I replaced the halogen with strip LED lights. The new LEDs flash every second or two when off.

http://www.elemental[spam site]/12v-dimmable-driver.html
Go to Top of Page

Midd

42 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2013 :  07:17:15 AM  Show Profile
Would love to see an outdoor leak sensor similar to the 2852-222
Go to Top of Page

mlb5000

45 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  11:04:46 AM  Show Profile
are there any plans for more 2-wire (non-neutral, RF-only) switch modules? I have several end-line switches in my home that I can't install things like KeypadLinc into because they require a neutral line for the switched load to still function. I'm just putting RemoteLincs on plates next to the existing switches but I would have liked to just replace them outright.

I see that there is a 2-wire SwitchLinc Dimmer but the end-line switches I want to replace control ceiling fans and I don't want to risk burning out the fan motor, the dimmer, or my house.

Edited by - mlb5000 on 02/03/2013 11:14:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

atsteph
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2013 :  2:36:06 PM  Show Profile
I would like to see a revision to the 2441 thermostat and accompanying wireless remote thermostat. It would be great if you could set which (base unit or the remote) would be the master device, based on a scene. You can set the temp and mode, why not the master? That way, you could have a scene if the room is occupied, then the appropriate unit (base or slave) could be switched to master and control the temp in the occupied room. For now, I'll just keep pressing the buttons on the unit. (By the way, I'm a big fan of this thermostat!)
Go to Top of Page

dekalbbear
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  11:14:12 AM  Show Profile
I could really use the KeypadLinc enclosure that holds two keypadlincs instead of just one.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  1:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage

Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1205 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  1:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
Nice. Is that a pair of doorstops you've screwed onto the bottom to angle it? :) I can't tell what you used for the case though.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  1:44:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
Yes, the 'feet' are white doorstops. The case is a 2-gang, low voltage surface box.

Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1205 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  1:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
Not 100% sure these are deep enough at the low side, and kind of pricey, but check out http://www.ggvideo.com/fsr_boxes.php and skim down (or search the page) to DSKB-2G. Also 1, 3, and 4 gang models.

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  2:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
Great find, I never knew they existed. Too bad about the price

Somewhat less costly: http://www.amazon.com/JBP2DWH-Panduit-Pan-Way%C3%82%C2%AE-Junction-Divider/dp/B008EKR3YO/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1360188774&sr=8-14&keywords=2-gang+low+voltage+surface+box

White, ivory, and black are available, but I've only been able to find single and 2-gang boxes.

Go to Top of Page

rharkinsKC
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  08:27:33 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rharkinsKC

I fixed my problem by replacing the ApplianceLinc with an I/O Linc. Since my LED strips drew less than 2 amps at 12 volts, I just plugged the 'wall wart' into the face of the I/O Linc, and routed one side of the power supply through the relay. It now works perfectly.

Obviously, I can't dim them, but I wasn't doing that anyway...
Go to Top of Page

elmo
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2013 :  1:00:07 PM  Show Profile
I know, I'm dreaming big here. It's likely had a mention here before but search is blowing up for me so I cannot be sure. But yeah, e-ink for the KPL buttons. Like the Samsung Alias 2. It was a flip phone that could redraw it's keys depending on how you flipped it. Implement the same on the KPL's, so you could change the button text anytime you wanted. Maybe even make it an icon style image if you want. Ok - I'll pinch myself to wake up now.
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1205 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2013 :  1:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by elmo

I know, I'm dreaming big here. It's likely had a mention here before but search is blowing up for me so I cannot be sure. But yeah, e-ink for the KPL buttons. Like the Samsung Alias 2. It was a flip phone that could redraw it's keys depending on how you flipped it. Implement the same on the KPL's, so you could change the button text anytime you wanted. Maybe even make it an icon style image if you want. Ok - I'll pinch myself to wake up now.

Seems cool, but what's the advantage over a touchscreen? E.g. touchscreen one- or two-gang wall-mountable device?

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2013 :  8:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
Cost, for one. More importantly for me, I don't need to be near a wall to control the linked devices. There's a tabletop KPL within reach of most seating areas in our home.

Edited by - stusviews on 02/10/2013 8:29:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

srogala

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2013 :  12:01:51 PM  Show Profile
How about integration with this http://www.[ restricted ]/projects/sticknfind-bluetooth-powered-ultra-small-location-stickers?c=home. Could do ability to make decisions depending on the presence or lack of presence of a sticker, or the location of a sticker, etc. I guess you'd need a couple of wall module bluetooth devices to help triangulate the location.

Or this one, which has a longer range http://www.[ restricted ]/blutracker, you could do things depending on whether your car was nearing your home, etc.

Edited by - srogala on 02/17/2013 12:06:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

nnnhck

42 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2013 :  5:02:18 PM  Show Profile
Would love to see the option in HouseLinc to retrieve/save the current state of a responder (On level, etc), when creating events, and the ability to return to that same state in a later part of the event.

Ex: Light is at 58% Dim. I want to turn it to full bright if motion is detected on a motion sensor, pause for 5 minutes, then return it to 58%.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  8:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
That can be accomplished by adding a Micro Module. See: http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12387

Go to Top of Page

nnnhck

42 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2013 :  12:22:44 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

That can be accomplished by adding a Micro Module. See: http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12387

Even though this method may work, it would still be nice to be able to read/restore states of devices within houselinc itself without having to buy additional modules. I have a bit of a programming background, and am somewhat familiar with Insteon commands... It doesn't seem to be that outrageous of a request. The feature would be useful in other scenarios as well, such as setting fanlinc fan speeds.

Edited by - nnnhck on 03/01/2013 12:26:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

JasonR

Canada
45 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2013 :  2:20:39 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ajiuo
Something like this a switchlinc/dimmerlinc with built in motion sensor

I second the request for a all-in-one switch/dimmer and motion sensor. I have a few places I'd LOVE to put one of those. And one of my reservations with the standard motion sensor is the battery. I HATE batteries. I assume an all in one unit could run off house power.

Edited by - JasonR on 03/12/2013 08:54:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

scotnor
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  08:16:53 AM  Show Profile
A wide temperature range insteon led bulb for outdoor applications.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page