Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

JasonR

Canada
45 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  08:57:50 AM  Show Profile
While I was researching stuff I also came across this that I thought was pretty neat (though not really what I want to do):

http://www.meethue.com/en-US

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT5W_Mjuz5I

What do you guys think of the concept? Obviously Philips likely has trademarks on the colour scenes for different tasks but would you guys be interested in Insteon IP-LED bulbs that can either change colours or at least colour temperatures etc (beyond on/off/dim capabilities)?

Edited by - JasonR on 03/12/2013 09:00:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1205 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  11:46:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
It's fun but I'm not sure what I'd use it for. The bulbs aren't very bright either. As a quick-and-dirty approximation with Insteon, you could use three separate controllers with red, blue, and green bulbs...

I think Philips released the information needed to program for it. It uses Zigbee, not Insteon.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

JasonR

Canada
45 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  09:03:10 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jdale

It's fun but I'm not sure what I'd use it for. The bulbs aren't very bright either. As a quick-and-dirty approximation with Insteon, you could use three separate controllers with red, blue, and green bulbs...

I think Philips released the information needed to program for it. It uses Zigbee, not Insteon.

Yeah, like I said it's not really what I want to do but it is "neat". If anything I think I would be more interested in the colour temperature changes (bright ~6500K for cleaning/working, warmer ~3500K for relaxing, in the middle ~4500/5000k for reading etc).

It's just an evolution of dimming IMO where you can not only adjust the light level but colour depending on your task/desire. Just makes your lighting more flexible, useful and versatile.

Though I suppose you could do fun things like red and green lighting for Christmas etc. But again, THAT'S not really what I'd aim for...lol
Go to Top of Page

JasonR

Canada
45 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  1:03:19 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ajiuo
Something like this a switchlinc/dimmerlinc with built in motion sensor

FWIW, this was the response I received regarding my inquiry of a device like this to Insteon:

quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. The likelihood of Insteon developing a product like this is good, however, the timeline of when it would be produced would be years out for the development. I know for sure that something like that would be a completely new design of a switch, and along with the numerous other ongoing design projects that engineers have this would be an additional project.

It is a good idea, but knowing the roadmap, it would not be high on the priority list.

Bit disappointed that it would be low priority and years out but good to hear the likelihood is good...
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1205 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  1:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
I imagine as a solution until then, you could use any motion sensor switch in conjunction with an Insteon micro module, by using the sense wires.

Go to Top of Page

JasonR

Canada
45 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  3:42:05 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jdale

I imagine as a solution until then, you could use any motion sensor switch in conjunction with an Insteon micro module, by using the sense wires.

So you're saying I could buy a Lutron MS-OPS2 sensor/switch and control it with a micro module? Do they play nice?

Would I be able to override the occupancy sensor and force it on with the micro module? Basically I want to have the light automatically turn on at sunset and off at say midnight unless it is both dark and someone enters the room.
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1205 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  6:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
Haven't tried it but I expect so. You would connect the load from the Lutron switch to the sense wire of the micro module, and the load from the micro module to the fixture to be controlled. You would then be able to control the micro module independent of the switch, or by using the switch or triggering the motion sensor. This is basically the same as using a motion sensor with an inlinelinc with sense, as they do in the motion sensor floodlight kit.

The only thing you could not do would be check whether it had been triggered by the switch or motion sensor, the micro module would just know that it had been turned on but not which way.

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  6:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
It works with a RAB Relay On/Off Smart Post motion sensor

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

JasonR

Canada
45 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  11:23:46 AM  Show Profile
Interesting...

Thanks guys! :)
Go to Top of Page

eduardo_garcia
Average Member

Brazil
119 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2013 :  08:28:27 AM  Show Profile  Send eduardo_garcia an AOL message
Please develop irlinc with dual band.
Go to Top of Page

stunod2002
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2013 :  08:00:53 AM  Show Profile
For the HouseLink software there needs to be a way to limit the number of messages that get sent over a period of time. When my water heater broke I literally got hundreds of emails in less than 30-45 minutes of time as the water sensor detected the water. The software just sends continually and as long as the sensor detects water. If this were setup to send to my cell phone as a text message this would have cost me a lot of $$.

A field in the config. where it would be possible to tell the software to not send a message within x# of minutes of the previous message would be great.

http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12591
Go to Top of Page

eduardo_garcia
Average Member

Brazil
119 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2013 :  08:19:55 AM  Show Profile  Send eduardo_garcia an AOL message
Hello guys

What about a insteon 12V led driver with PWM control? It would ensure a smooth led dimming plus and it will be compatible with 99% 12V lamps on the market.

regards

Eduardo
Go to Top of Page

dtallard
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  10:37:39 AM  Show Profile
All devices available in Dual-Band. Dual-Band is what makes it so reliable, especially if you use a host of LED lighting as I do. The comparison charts really help find the ones you want. My SmartLinc is unusable when the lights are on either for control or status reporting though works great during the day with no lights on.
Also a Linux based software, though the latest version on Vista is much more reliable (SW ver 2.9.76/device ver 2.9.56).
Go to Top of Page

eduardo_garcia
Average Member

Brazil
119 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  6:28:31 PM  Show Profile  Send eduardo_garcia an AOL message
Please, 220V insteon led bulb (warm white)
Go to Top of Page

nowandthen

36 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  8:58:13 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dtallard

All devices available in Dual-Band. Dual-Band is what makes it so reliable, especially if you use a host of LED lighting as I do. The comparison charts really help find the ones you want. My SmartLinc is unusable when the lights are on either for control or status reporting though works great during the day with no lights on.
Also a Linux based software, though the latest version on Vista is much more reliable (SW ver 2.9.76/device ver 2.9.56).

My Insteon system was very reliable until I had no choice but to buy dual band switches. Switches that were replaced with dual band are suddenly about 90% reliable whereas the non dual band switch worked just fine in the exact same location. I suspect I have a bad RF switch somewhere, but where? I swapped dual band switches around but still have an issue. A second Insteon switch in the same j-box works just fine (it's a non dual band). The more Insteon I add, the worse things get. I know this is not a trouble shooting thread (I have had much advice with no luck)... so...

my wish list item is a trouble shooting device. X-10 had devices to measure signal strength and noise. Can't they make a device to trouble shoot Insteon?

Edited by - nowandthen on 04/11/2013 8:59:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  9:20:23 PM  Show Profile
They already have troubleshooting--HouseLinc software has signal diagnostics built in. Do you have a SmartLinc or one of the other PLMs?

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

nowandthen

36 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  9:00:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

They already have troubleshooting--HouseLinc software has signal diagnostics built in. Do you have a SmartLinc or one of the other PLMs?

I have the ISY994i.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  9:21:49 PM  Show Profile
Diagnostic features are already built into the ISY, too. Check in over on the ISY forum for guidance: http://forum.universal-devices.com

Go to Top of Page

GBC

56 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2013 :  09:13:14 AM  Show Profile
Easier to understand and use manuals and software for SmartLinc.

An all in one plug-in chime.
Go to Top of Page

eduardo_garcia
Average Member

Brazil
119 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2013 :  07:24:43 AM  Show Profile  Send eduardo_garcia an AOL message
trailing edge dimmers to ensure compatibility with the led bulbs on the market
Go to Top of Page

nowandthen

36 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2013 :  8:34:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

Diagnostic features are already built into the ISY, too. Check in over on the ISY forum for guidance: http://forum.universal-devices.com

Thanks, been there. So far no luck. Motion sensor "sees" me sends to ISY, ISY sends on signal to two switches in the same J-box (technically one box mounted above the other, but same circuit), the non-dual band always turns on, the dual band maybe 90% of the time? Thanks for trying to help, I apologize, don't want to hijack this thread for trouble shooting. Reading ISY codes is a bit tricky but will try again. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2013 :  9:18:24 PM  Show Profile
nowandthen, your best source of ISY support is: http://forum.universal-devices.com . See threads discussing ISY Scene Test, Compare Link Table and Log features.

Go to Top of Page

GBC

56 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2013 :  10:09:39 AM  Show Profile
1. An OutletLinc with a USB charger port.
2. A 4 socket OutletLinc with 2 Insteon controllable outlets and 2 USB chargers.
Go to Top of Page

Sammer

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2013 :  11:48:50 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by eduardo_garcia

trailing edge dimmers to ensure compatibility with the led bulbs on the market

Unfortunately trailing edge (ELV) dimmers won't ensure compatibility with all led bulbs on the market. The advantage would be the broader range of dimmable led bulbs that would work well with such dimmers.
Go to Top of Page

jgwinner
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  6:22:19 PM  Show Profile
We really need a combo 12V low voltage or LED light, dimmable.

In other words, like the In-LineLinc Dimmer, except it would output 12V (for low voltage lighting)

And also one that outputs PWM controlled LED drive current. (Not quite sure what the latter would require).

The existing Insteon LED light bulb only fits in 120v outlets, I have a lot of low voltage lights controlled by an Insteon dimmer that runs to a Lightech 12V potted electronic transformer. If I plug in an MR16 LED dimmable bulb, and dim it, it will blow the bulb and/or the Insteon controller ... expensive mistake.

Meanwell makes a lot of good LED drivers, but they all take PMW or analog dimming inputs, and usually take 20V or so of DC input. The really big LED dimmers are more for aquarium controllers with 40-100W of LED's, which is much bigger than I'm talking about now. Really, I just want an MR16 type 'can light' to have an LED bulb in it, and not mess with the 12V electronic controllers directly.

== John ==
Go to Top of Page

Envirogreen

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  07:58:31 AM  Show Profile
We need trouble shooting tools!

I have been without the ISY for months as the communication is not working properly and despite ongoing investigation no one can help me get this resolved.

I'm at the point of having to rip out Insteon for an alternative due to this.

Its unfortunate as Insteon with the ISY was working great for a couple of months, but now its near useless as a solution.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  3:16:23 PM  Show Profile
Troubleshooting tools are already built into the ISY and each Insteon device. Did you bring this up over on the ISY support forum for help using those tools and interpreting what they are pointing toward? Can you post a link to that discussion?

Go to Top of Page

LeeG
Advanced Member

USA
2418 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  4:24:00 PM  Show Profile
Envirogreen

Unfortunately some folks will not perform the diagnostic actions asked for. Other actions are taken with those results applied to the original directions. Don't blame the lack of progress on anything but the unwillingness to do the diagnostic actions suggested.

Lee G
Go to Top of Page

LeeG
Advanced Member

USA
2418 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  6:00:03 PM  Show Profile
Lee

Interesting response

You know from. The other thread I've done everything asked, with no positive result so far. Yes my actions are slow at times doe to other commitments I action and response has been taken on every post/suggestion

You already made a questionable post In the other thread, not sure why

As you can see I do not engage in that type of nonsense, especially in a public forum

Yes there are some diagnostics but these are limited which is why I made the suggestion

No need to respond as I won't respond and will not post on these forums again

I was ready looking at pulling insteon out, and I will now try one last time with support and then move on

It's to bad that what started as a fun and positive experience is trending so poorly due to your unhelpful posts

Regards,

Jeff
"The other thread I've done everything asked, with no positive result so far."

Re unplugging other electronics - I moved the isy and plm to another outlet with no other electronics plugged in. Plug is in a completely different room

Which is not what was asked, which proved nothing. A positive would have been valuable. A negative result did not provide useful diagnostic information and it was certainly not what was asked.

Sorry you did not like it when I called to task that response that UDI directed the Delete Modem (PLM) be done when that was totally wrong. They NEVER said to do that. The forum serves to provide assistance to you but also to help other following the same topic. To suggest the Delete Modem (PLM) was done at the request/suggestion of UDI was both wrong and misleading to others reading the topic.

I hope you get the problem resolved.

Lee G

Edited by - LeeG on 06/03/2013 6:01:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  7:04:21 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry to see you two not getting along. Lee is an expert, he's got a terrific success rate working with the ISY and discerning between Insteon settings, communications and hardware issues.

I'm curious to see the symptoms and troubleshooting steps taken, but I don't see Envirogreen as a user ID over on the ISY forums. Can one of you post a link to that thread?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page