Lee G
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10429 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  08:37:41 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Lee.

In this case, the diagnostic tool suggests either some kind of significant interference has cropped up, likely on the circuit serving the ISY's PLM, or the ISY's PLM itself broke. There may be an additional RF issue that is preventing the PLM from working around power line interference. If the PLM or individual devices have had their link databases compromised by resets or an incomplete PLM swap, that will complicate the repair.

Michel's May 22 offer of contacting support directly is your best bet. When an issue gets complicated like this, having an experienced tech walk you through specific repair steps in a specific order makes all the difference.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

nowandthen

36 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2013 :  8:59:47 PM  Show Profile
I too at times have been very frustrated by Insteon. LeeG and Michel at UDI have been extremely helpful in troubleshooting my system. LeeG gets no financial reward, he just helps total strangers out of the goodness of his heart.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread topic...
Go to Top of Page

nmaycher
Starting Member

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2013 :  6:31:22 PM  Show Profile
Jason,

Here's the solution I worked up using a std Home Depot motion detector and a In-LineLinc w/ sense.

https://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8006

Let me know if you have any questions.

Nathan

quote:
Originally posted by JasonR

quote:
Originally posted by ajiuo
Something like this a switchlinc/dimmerlinc with built in motion sensor

FWIW, this was the response I received regarding my inquiry of a device like this to Insteon:

quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. The likelihood of Insteon developing a product like this is good, however, the timeline of when it would be produced would be years out for the development. I know for sure that something like that would be a completely new design of a switch, and along with the numerous other ongoing design projects that engineers have this would be an additional project.

It is a good idea, but knowing the roadmap, it would not be high on the priority list.

Bit disappointed that it would be low priority and years out but good to hear the likelihood is good...

Go to Top of Page

Greybeard
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  5:37:39 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to see a dual-band Appliance Linc. The current models suffer from the same problems as the X10 modules. I have a number of lamps that use CFLs that I want to control, so I can't use the LampLinc Plug-in dimmer module.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15708 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2013 :  3:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
If the problem is caused by the CFLs (e.g., line noise), then a dual-band device won't help. Try plugging an incandescent lamp into the ApplianceLinc. If the problem disappears, then the culprit is the CFL bulb.

But, I fully agree. A dual-band ApplianceLinc would be a welcome addition.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum

Edited by - stusviews on 08/15/2013 3:52:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

acousticmood

44 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2013 :  4:29:10 PM  Show Profile
How about having the hub app be able to rotate on the ipad?
Go to Top of Page

barrygordon

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2013 :  09:15:31 AM  Show Profile  Send barrygordon an AOL message
On the 2441TH:

1) First touch of a button turns on backlight but does nothing else

2) Relocate Sensor so that it is not fooled by heat from triac
Go to Top of Page

JasonR

Canada
45 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  1:13:24 PM  Show Profile
Awesome, thanks! It's moved down the priority list for now but I'll certainly come back to this at some point

quote:
Originally posted by nmaycher

Jason,

Here's the solution I worked up using a std Home Depot motion detector and a In-LineLinc w/ sense.

https://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8006

Let me know if you have any questions.

Nathan

quote:
Originally posted by JasonR

quote:

FWIW, this was the response I received regarding my inquiry of a device like this to Insteon:

quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. The likelihood of Insteon developing a product like this is good, however, the timeline of when it would be produced would be years out for the development. I know for sure that something like that would be a completely new design of a switch, and along with the numerous other ongoing design projects that engineers have this would be an additional project.

It is a good idea, but knowing the roadmap, it would not be high on the priority list.

Bit disappointed that it would be low priority and years out but good to hear the likelihood is good...

Go to Top of Page

Bartman01
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  7:58:56 PM  Show Profile
Dual-pole switches (ones that control two lights from the same single gang box). Lack of this is pushing Insteon down to 3rd or 4th place in my list right now since I need at least two of these in my initial setup.

Simply Automated, Leviton, and Lutron all have these in their lineup.
Go to Top of Page

majortom

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  11:25:02 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bartman01

Dual-pole switches (ones that control two lights from the same single gang box). Lack of this is pushing Insteon down to 3rd or 4th place in my list right now since I need at least two of these in my initial setup.

Simply Automated, Leviton, and Lutron all have these in their lineup.

It is very funny, as I was just about to request this (when I read your post). I would prefer this as a KeypadLinc Style.
Go to Top of Page

SethK
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  12:25:33 PM  Show Profile
Actually, put my vote in for dual switches in a single gang box. I have that setup at my house right now, and I'm trying to figure out a way to pull that off with Insteon.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15708 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  10:46:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
SethK, a single-gang, two-load switch is an oft requested device. But, it's not an obstacle to using Insteon. A KeypadLinc and Micro Module are all that's needed.

Go to Top of Page

InspectorGadget

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  12:32:41 PM  Show Profile
I'm a big technogeek, and even I can't stand the buttons on the Keypadlinc. Try turning one of those off when you're rushing out the door. Nothing beats the old paddle switches, or at least the Decora type toggle.

My wife won't allow Keypadlincs in the house, now, basically. I've slowly come around in agreement. What I'm working on is integrating the micro modules with standard wall switches (works well into the decor of our 107 year old house).

But what I'd really like to see is the Mini Remote switch electromechanics worked into the KeypadLinc so you could use it in a 2, 4, or 8 switch system. Not just a toggling actuator, but some attention paid to good ergonomics (not having a multiple-button "crunch" on a wide switch, etc.).

Even if you just had the single load of the current Keypadlinc but had multiple buttons like the Mini Remotes, it would be great.

I'd even be thrilled by just having the Mini Remotes in a 110V-powered box mount. I know there's a mechanical adapter for them, but I can't abide having to go around and recharge my wall switches. It's just nonsense.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10429 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  1:59:52 PM  Show Profile
As an additional alternative, that'd be great. But don't mess with the existing keypads, the dual-band units are perfect for me the way they are!

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15708 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  4:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by InspectorGadget

I'm a big technogeek, and even I can't stand the buttons on the Keypadlinc. Try turning one of those off when you're rushing out the door. Nothing beats the old paddle switches, or at least the Decora type toggle.

My wife won't allow Keypadlincs in the house, now, basically. I've slowly come around in agreement. What I'm working on is integrating the micro modules with standard wall switches (works well into the decor of our 107 year old house).

But what I'd really like to see is the Mini Remote switch electromechanics worked into the KeypadLinc so you could use it in a 2, 4, or 8 switch system. Not just a toggling actuator, but some attention paid to good ergonomics (not having a multiple-button "crunch" on a wide switch, etc.).

Even if you just had the single load of the current Keypadlinc but had multiple buttons like the Mini Remotes, it would be great.

I'd even be thrilled by just having the Mini Remotes in a 110V-powered box mount. I know there's a mechanical adapter for them, but I can't abide having to go around and recharge my wall switches. It's just nonsense.

So which is it, the style of the KeypadLinc or the feel (action) of the buttons?

Go to Top of Page

InspectorGadget

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  7:43:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

So which is it, the style of the KeypadLinc or the feel (action) of the buttons?

Thanks for your interest. It's actually both. And not to just disparage... let me explain:

In my opinion, the keypad works well in one of those desktop enclosures. That's actually how I use them now. In the desktop box, you can look at it, you can stabilize your fingers on the side of the case, and it's easier to select the buttons.

On the wall, the keypadlinc is awkward. It doesn't flow with the rhythm of how you use things in your house. You can't operate it by feel, which is how I usually operate light switches. I'm rarely looking at a light switch when I operate it, whether it's because it's in the dark or that I'm just in the middle of going somewhere or doing something and I know where the switch is and I just flick it (or tap it in the case of Decora).

With the Keypadlinc you have to be looking directly at it, you have to stop, you have to stabilize your hand (because of the awkward and differing actuation angles of the plastic actuator levers inside and the placement of the actual dome switches), and you have to push directly and deliberately on a key. You have to then sense the "click" of the dome switch, and make sure it's triggered (because of intermittent failures, don't get me started).

All of this is easy to do on the desktop, when you're usually seated. But very awkward to do when it's on the wall.

My wife's main objection to the KPL is the discomfort with the style of usage. She doesn't relish the technological gratification of using a keypad, rather she abhors it on principle. She prefers old-style paddle to Decora, but she prefers Decora much more than the KPL buttons.

As to the function of the buttons themselves, over and above the difference in behavior and travel because of the actuators and dome switch placement, there is the bigger ergonomic problem of the miniscule travel distance. When you're making a large body motion like reaching out with your whole arm to actuate something, you need appropriate feedback to know you've hit your mark and accomplished your task. Travel distance, resistance, and a tactile and/or audible click really helps the neuro-physiological response and experience of actuating the control. All of these factors that provide functional and gratifying feedback are minimized with the KPL.

Think of buttons on the dashboard of your car. Are they little dome switches? No. They're big plastic actuators with moderate travel (1/4" or more) with a click or at least a hard stop at the end of their travel when they actuate. The best feedback is a click AND a hard stop.

Some cars have little dome switches for their steering wheel mounted buttons; this is tolerable because your hands are stabilized when you're using them, but still much less comfortable to use than the moving plastic actuators.

One other thing about buttons on the KPL: I'd like to see fewer switch positions for better acceptance in a family with diverse memory and technological skills. I'd probably prefer a two-switch version, to replace the duplex switch units currently in my house and to expand certain single-switch situations (like decoupling bathroom fan and lighting). Maybe a 4-switch version to control light + ceiling fan in a few places, but any more than 2 switches for different lights and my family will never remember which is for which. And nobody wants to read little labels. Especially in the dark.

Thus my conclusion: The KPL is great as it is for desktop usage, but for a wall-mounted multi-switch unit I'd like something with (a) fewer buttons and (b) more travel and better feedback ergonomics.

Sorry about the lengthy reply but I think a lot about these things. I worked in the User Ergonomics lab of the IBM Almaden Research Center in San Jose for a few years and learned quite a bit about critical analysis of human-technological interactions.

Regards,

John
Go to Top of Page

InspectorGadget

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  7:48:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

As an additional alternative, that'd be great. But don't mess with the existing keypads, the dual-band units are perfect for me the way they are!

I fully agree. As I said in my long post, I particularly like the KPL's in the desktop enclosure, and have several of them (for my use!) around the house.
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1205 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  09:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
In many locations I have a switchlinc with a KPL next to it. The SwitchLinc is for the main room light, the KPL is for other options (fans, lighting in other locations, etc). I do like the tactile feel of the SwitchLincs better, but having as many options as the KPL buttons is really nice too, so I just have both... Perhaps the previously request dual switchlinc will be another way of splitting the difference, if it is ever created.

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

mike2545
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2013 :  4:35:38 PM  Show Profile
Programmable thermostat control for Mini Split heat pump. IR control, Learning type.
Go to Top of Page

icerabbit
Average Member

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2013 :  9:01:37 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Something like this to control fanlinc + 7 speed fanlinc

+1 and +1 on both your ideas!

I could use a series of those in my next project.
Go to Top of Page

pyrorobert

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2013 :  11:57:28 PM  Show Profile
I would like to request a module with a monitoring point only. I would like to monitor a flow switch in my pool to let me know that the pump is running. I understand that I can use an I/O linc, but I don't need the control side of it.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10429 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  06:51:16 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pyrorobert

I would like to request a module with a monitoring point only. I would like to monitor a flow switch in my pool to let me know that the pump is running. I understand that I can use an I/O linc, but I don't need the control side of it.

How about using this on the pump motor? http://www.smarthome.com/2423A5/SynchroLinc-Power-Synching-INSTEON-Controller/p.aspx

Go to Top of Page

InspectorGadget

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  09:35:11 AM  Show Profile
Interesting about the SynchroLinc. That looks like it's made-to-order for the pool pump (assuming it's a 110V pump with a conventional plug or you feel comfortably wiring in a plug/socket).

I would be a little concerned about running a motor off of it, and though neither the product page nor the user's manual said anything against using it with a motor. Still, motors have unique operating effects on the line -- surges of both current and voltage as the motor turns -- so you should call Smarthome and see if they support it for use with a motor. Get the name of the person you talked to, in case there's a problem, then you have a good argument to send it back.

You could also use the Insteon door/window sensor with a 110V relay to send a message when it turned on and off.

http://www.smarthome.com/2843-222/INSTEON-Wireless-Open-Close-Sensor/p.aspx
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10429 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2013 :  09:43:51 AM  Show Profile
I use SynchroLincs primarily with motors, FWIW. Just make sure it is within the module's rated load capacity.

If you have any doubt about compatibility with a particular load, buy it from Smarthome directly. They offer a 30 day, no hassle return period if it doesn't do what you need.

Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1205 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2013 :  7:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
I know I'm not the only person using a SynchroLinc on my washing machine, which of course incorporates a fairly hefty motor. Working well.

Go to Top of Page

pyrorobert

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2013 :  02:22:51 AM  Show Profile
I would like to monitor dry contacts only plus my pump runs on 220 volts so it doesn't plug in to an outlet.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10429 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2013 :  09:05:26 AM  Show Profile
How would the product you are imagining be different from connecting to an Open/Close sensor ( http://www.smarthome.com/2843-222/INSTEON-Wireless-Open-Close-Sensor/p.aspx ) or an IOLinc ( http://www.smarthome.com/2450/IOLinc-INSTEON-Low-Voltage-Contact-Closure-Interface-1-In-1-Out-/p.aspx ) ?

Go to Top of Page

barrygordon

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2013 :  11:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Send barrygordon an AOL message
How about a fanlinc (with or without light control) that is the size of a microlinc. Fanlincs do not fit into the fan canopy box.

How about good wiring info for fans that have a start capacitor. My fans have a single start capacitor which is in on start and I am pretty sure is cut out as the fan gains momentum. How do I wire these into a Fanlinc. A good diagram would really help.
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1205 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2013 :  11:52:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by barrygordon

How about a fanlinc (with or without light control) that is the size of a microlinc. Fanlincs do not fit into the fan canopy box.

I was absolutely positive the FanLinc would not fit in one of my fans, but it did. A bit tight but it worked. Not that I would object to further miniaturization (might even fit at the switch that way).

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page