Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

InspectorGadget

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2013 :  3:23:15 PM  Show Profile
Barry Gordon,

Does your fan have a multi-speed switch with a pull chain? Does it have multiple wires from this switch that go into the capacitor? If so, it's not a starting capacitor, it's a speed-regulation capacitor. See the link below for example wiring.

The point is, I haven't ever seen a ceiling fan motor that needed a starting capacitor or circuitry to cut it in or out. I had one of those speed-control capacitors in mine, and I just removed the switch and the capacitor and wired in the fan module to the two wires that end up going to the fan motor.

I wouldn't mind seeing a smaller fan module as others have said. The current one won't fit in our upstairs fans. They're very compact.

- The Inspector

Multi-speed pull-switch capacitor wiring for ceiling fan:

http://www.electrical-forensics.com/CeilingFans/SMC-Fan/SMC-Fan-Sch-LG.jpg
Go to Top of Page

vance003
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  4:36:48 PM  Show Profile
My apologies. With this topic's having over 30 pages of postings, I haven't had time to scroll through all that's been said over the past 7 years.

My home is around 30 years old, and when I moved in a few years ago, all of the installed light switches were of the standard toggle sort. When I started putting in Insteon products, the ToggleLincs matched this style better did the SwitchLincs, so I went with the former.

The home has two circuit panels, and despite my having placed 4 Insteon Access Points around to facilitate communications, there are still some scenes that are quite tenuous using ToggleLinc controllers. My request, then, is to please give the ToggleLincs the same dual-band capability that the SwitchLincs have.

A similar request for receptacles. I don't care beans for dimming lights, so that I don't need that ability of the OutletLinc Dimmer --- plus the whole concept of a Dimmer Key (a tiny part begging to be lost somewhere) seems clumsy. BUT the OutletLinc Dimmer has dual-band capabilities, while the OutletLinc Relay (my preferred receptacle) does not. Please consider incorporating dual-band technology into the OutletLinc Relay.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  4:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
vance003, you shouldn't have to wait for new products to solve your difficulty. Open a new topic here, INSTEON, about your difficulty.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  6:00:37 PM  Show Profile
I think this is the new, more versatile alternative for folks wanting to retain the look of old-fashioned toggle, push-button and specialty switches:

http://home-automation.smarthome.com/search?view=list&w=Insteon+micro+module

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

shannong

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  7:29:51 PM  Show Profile
Another vote for a multi-ROCKER (or toggle) switch. Dual, triple, and/or quad. At least dual and triple. Thanks to Insteon, I can control all the various lights in kitchen from one wall plate. The bad news? I need to expand to a 6-gang or use a KPL.

The KPL is NOT a functional switch for lighting in a home. It's awkward and difficult to push one of those small buttons as you enter/exit a room tens of times a day. Why is every purpose-made light switch designed with a rocker or toggle? Because it works best. The switch needs to be large, tactile, durable, and definite. All of those things the KPL is not.

Also, the wall in my kitchen, dining room, bedroom, etc shouldn't look like the wall in a dedicated media room with bunches of buttons squeezed together with printed letters on each button.

Thanks for listening and your consideration.

Go to Top of Page

shannong

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  7:56:34 PM  Show Profile
An Insteon multi-sensor with motion, temp, and luminance capable of use for lighting, HVAC, and security system functions. Humidity would be a bonus but less useful. It should have a battery level monitoring function.

I'd like to be able to have a single sensor in each room that is able to serve all three purposes of lighting/HA, HVAC, and security. Even the current Insteon sensors with PIR motion detection aren't usable for security IMO because they lack a low-battery alert.

I'm currently forced with the decision to add Z-wave to my setup specifically to address this issue or have separate security system sensors vs HA sensors.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

davbow
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  12:37:05 PM  Show Profile
Tamper Resistant OutletLinc (so that installs will be code compliant)
Go to Top of Page

jtempleton
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  6:32:10 PM  Show Profile
The ability to add a scene in Hub without specifying any devices!

It's soooo much easier to just manage the links in HouseLinc.
scene/group is easily configured outside of hub app, only challenge is getting it to display in the app.

Using the hub app to create all this is painfully slow and error prone. Hub is not reading/writing links like houselinc, it's putting devices into linking mode. I'm guessing I'm not the first one to have Hub accidentely link two devices in a scene to each other. (puts one in linking mode, says it failed, puts the second on into linking mode, and now the second one is linked to the first one)
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  7:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
That should not occur if both devices are responders only. If you make one (or more) of the devices a Scene controller or both a controller and responder, then that's the expected outcome.

Go to Top of Page

jtempleton
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  10:20:27 PM  Show Profile
I agree it's not 'normal' behavior. But it's easy (for me) to reproduce. Both devices are set as reponders in the scene, and this is actually happening during unlinking from the scene. Both responders are relativly new devices.

Device 1 (2476S Cat 02, SubCat 1C, Rev 41)
Device 2 (2477S Cat 02, SubCat 2A, Rev 42)

This has to do with how the Hub App tries to add/remove devices from 'scenes'.
If it tries to add/remove a device (and manages to put it in linking mode), but fails to to see the response, the app says it failed (but the device is still in linking mode). When it puts the second device in linking mode, it links to the first device.

quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

That should not occur if both devices are responders only. If you make one (or more) of the devices a Scene controller or both a controller and responder, then that's the expected outcome.

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  10:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
This topic hopes to get new product ideas and additional features for any existing product, not difficulties with a particular Insteon device.

Solutions for problems with existing Insteon devices are best solved by posting a New Topic here.

Go to Top of Page

jtempleton
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  10:51:19 PM  Show Profile
In HouseLinc, under advanced tab, currently only option when right clicking on a link is 'Delete Link'.

Add options for 'Edit Link' and 'Add Link'

If anyone needs to do it in the interim, you can do it by editing HouseLinc Config files: http://www.smarthome.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=13123#73646

Go to Top of Page

jtempleton
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2013 :  10:54:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Stu, maybe there should be sticky sections for HouseLinc and Hub feedback. I'll go ahead and create new topics, since the search feature of the forums is failing.

quote:

This topic hopes to get new product ideas and additional features for any existing product, not difficulties with a particular Insteon device.

Solutions for problems with existing Insteon devices are best solved by posting a New Topic here.

Go to Top of Page

shannong

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  2:32:30 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by shannong

Another vote for a multi-ROCKER (or toggle) switch. Dual, triple, and/or quad. At least dual and triple. Thanks to Insteon, I can control all the various lights in kitchen from one wall plate. The bad news? I need to expand to a 6-gang or use a KPL.

The KPL is NOT a functional switch for lighting in a home. It's awkward and difficult to push one of those small buttons as you enter/exit a room tens of times a day. Why is every purpose-made light switch designed with a rocker or toggle? Because it works best. The switch needs to be large, tactile, durable, and definite. All of those things the KPL is not.

Also, the wall in my kitchen, dining room, bedroom, etc shouldn't look like the wall in a dedicated media room with bunches of buttons squeezed together with printed letters on each button.

Thanks for listening and your consideration.

I should've specified in my request that all of the switches don't need to control a load. Just one or NONE. The others would simply be for scene control to control another Insteon switch with load in another box (on another wall).

I realize I can mount a keypad remote on a wall or in a box but that requires a battery to be charged regularly and it also has the same issue as the KPL of buttons not optimized for the task of lighting control.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  2:46:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
Using a large button over a pair of adjacent small buttons and cross-linking those buttons, a KPL can be configured as a controller of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 different devices or groups of devices (but only one connected load).

Go to Top of Page

shannong

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  3:08:36 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Using a large button over a pair of adjacent small buttons and cross-linking those buttons, a KPL can be configured as a controller of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 different devices or groups of devices (but only one connected load).

From the original post above for which this was an update on:

It's the post with the picture of the multi-rocker switch. Rocker or toggles are really the only appropriate physical control for light a switch used to enter or exit a room. In this case, they would simply be controlling scenes rather than directly controlling a load.

Edited by - shannong on 11/27/2013 3:15:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

fiddletownrob

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2013 :  12:10:45 PM  Show Profile
is there a listing of the suggested requests indicating which have been incorporated, are pending, or ??? It takes too long to browse thru these pages...

fiddletownrob
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2013 :  1:26:31 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by fiddletownrob

is there a listing of the suggested requests indicating which have been incorporated, are pending, or ??? It takes too long to browse thru these pages...

Negative, Insteon doesn't pre-announce new products before they are nearly ready to ship. There's no sense giving competitors a heads-up.

Once new products hit the market, you can see them at www.insteon.com .

Go to Top of Page

eduardo_garcia
Average Member

Brazil
119 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2013 :  3:00:23 PM  Show Profile  Send eduardo_garcia an AOL message
Insteon has just launched a new leb bulb... Please make them 100-220V like the other dual band devices....
Go to Top of Page

shannong

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2013 :  10:53:06 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Negative, Insteon doesn't pre-announce new products before they are nearly ready to ship. There's no sense giving competitors a heads-up.

<eye roll> That's the narrow minded and short sighted view. I work in the tech field. It's fairly common for major technology manufacturers (like Cisco, Microsoft, etc) with billions on the line in highly competitive markets to have product road maps.

Why do they risk billions in revenue letting their competitors know?

For starters, there's a lead time with tech. If a competitor finds out today, they can't copy in a few weeks. In a few months? Maybe. Several months? More likely. But then if my competitive lead is only measured in a few months then it's really not a competitive advantage, is it?

The other and more meaningful reason they have these roadmaps is the same reason Insteon should. By doing so, you avoid losing customers who are in the decision process from buying another platform or product. This is especially key when the potential buyer is making a platform decision of Insteon vs Whateva. If something that is important to the decision maker isn't yet available on Insteon but they know it will be soon, they might choose your platform instead of the other that already has it or has it on the roadmap. Once the potential buyer makes platform decision (e.g. Insteon vs Z-wave) they are most likely locked in or locked out.

I've been flip flopping on the platform question until tonight. Despite some product holes, I made the decision to build around Insteon tonight and submitted a HUGE order to get me established. It was a close call and I was almost lost to some competing platforms.

Just trying to provide perspective and help.
Go to Top of Page

shannong

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2013 :  10:58:49 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by fiddletownrob

Perhaps time to start a new sticky if you're not going to provide voting responses or roadmap updates. It's not useful for a reader to start in 2006 with requests for products that already exist.

Go Insteon!
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2013 :  11:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by shannong

quote:

<eye roll> That's the narrow minded and short sighted view.

IMO, that's the opinion of the user you quoted. IMHO, some products never make it to market. Way back, Microsoft was well known for announcing products that turned out to be vaporware. Why announce a device that's an idea, but hasn't yet been produced, thus ready to ship. Oh, that was the premise.
quote:

For starters, there's a lead time with tech. If a competitor finds out today, they can't copy in a few weeks. In a few months? Maybe. Several months? More likely. But then if my competitive lead is only measured in a few months then it's really not a competitive advantage, is it?

The technology is protected.
quote:

The other and more meaningful reason they have these roadmaps is the same reason Insteon should. By doing so, you avoid losing customers who are in the decision process from buying another platform or product. This is especially key when the potential buyer is making a platform decision of Insteon vs Whateva. If something that is important to the decision maker isn't yet available on Insteon but they know it will be soon, they might choose your platform instead of the other that already has it or has it on the roadmap. Once the potential buyer makes platform decision (e.g. Insteon vs Z-wave) they are most likely locked in or locked out.

Some integration among the various home automation protocols exits now.

Go to Top of Page

fiddletownrob

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  07:13:21 AM  Show Profile
quote:

It's not useful for a reader to start in 2006 with requests for products that already exist.

Exactly my reason for a list of requested upgrades...like a +/- 30min "security" option on timer functions (X-10 timers had it in the 70's!). If we had a list of request and could "vote", Insteon would see what their customers/potential customers REALLY want and just maybe provide it...would that give Insteon a competitive advantage, just maybe.

fiddletownrob
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1205 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  10:54:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
You could make the list yourself... the posts are there...

Ok, nevermind, I've done it. Did not include software, no counts, but here is what has been suggested so far:

RELEASED PRODUCTS (in order of first request)

Wireless Motion Detectors
Wireless Remotes
Thermostats
Security Cameras
Low voltage switching (IO Linc)
Inline modules (InLineLincs, Micro Modules)
Conditional events (using HouseLinc, ISY, etc)
Sunrise/Sunset (HouseLinc, ISY, Hub, etc)
RF wireless LCD remote (TouchLinc)
Web interface (Hub, etc)
Outdoor appliance module
220V controller
Fan controller
Sprinkler control (SimpleHomeNet devices)
Socket Rockets (released, then discontinued. The smart LED bulbs also address this niche.)
Door/window sensors
Diagnostics (in HouseLinc)
Outlets
Smoke detectors (smoke bridge)
Ethernet bridge (Hub)
KeypadLinc On/Off
Cross-linking KPL buttons
2-wire SwitchLinc
TimerLinc (but it seems to be discontinued now)
Countertop controller with status (KPL in tabletop enclosure)
Garage door status (IO Linc kit)
Flood lights with motion sensor
Better brightness control for indicator LEDs
Dimmable outlets
Lower-profile plug-in modules
LampLinc with local control
Wired-in signal bridge
Rechargeable remote
SyncroLinc
Locks
Energy meter

SORT OF RELEASED

Temperature/humidity reporting modules that plug into an AC outlet
---> use Thermostat, or wireless thermostat with AC adapter, kind of overkill though
IR bridge
---> IR Linc devices, but still not supported in HouseLinc, desperately need an update
Wired-in doorbell
---> IO Linc kit
Drapes/blinds control
---> Paceyben's Somfy controller, Micro Open-Close Module
Control of low-voltage landscape lighting (relay, or use a dimmable power supply)

REQUESTED VARIATIONS ON EXISTING PRODUCTS

Motion:
* wired (not wireless), or a switch with built-in motion sensor. You can use an in-wall detector with a Micro Module, though.

KeypadLinc
* with assignable load button (not just top)
* 2-button and 4-button frames
* Single-color KPL insert packs
* ability to flash a button
* blank button sets in colors other than white
* e-ink buttons

SwitchLinc:
* Cheaper switches with no load (e.g. companion switch for 3-way situations) or SwitchLinc that works with conventional traveler and 3-way switches.

Outlets:
* GFCI
* Outdoor
* SynchroLinc functionality
* OutletLinc that operates as relay unless dimmer key is present, then dimmer (rather than two different devices)
* controllable + USB power
* tamper-resistant

ToggleLinc
* 1000W

TimerLinc
* multiple device support

Locks
* 2-way communciation (status)

TriggerLinc
* waterproof/outdoor

FilterLinc
* smaller
* built into an outlet
* built into a power strip

LampLinc
* tabletop form factor

Tabletop enclosure
* 2-gang version

NEVER RELEASED

Chime module 7/2006 (possibly multiple sounds, upload sounds to it, etc)
Outdoor LampLinc 8/2006
Signal analyzer 9/2006
Interface to Sonos system 9/2006
Knock sensor 3/2007
Switch/KPL supporting multiple loads 5/2007
Insteon version of the old X10 Mini Timer (clock + KPL + timerlinc, basically) 2007
Volume control 12/2008
Wireless doorbell 5/2009 (you can use a TriggerLinc, but not for outside use)
PowerstripLinc with independently controllable outlets 10/2009
Support for motion detection on an IP camera 4/2012
Insteon pet door 9/2012

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  11:05:49 AM  Show Profile
Well done, thanks!

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  12:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
jdale, IMO your list belongs here, too.

And, thanks

Go to Top of Page

shannong

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  1:45:01 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jdale

You could make the list yourself... the posts are there...

Ok, nevermind, I've done it. Did not include software, no counts, but here is what has been suggested so far:

RELEASED PRODUCTS (in order of first request)

Wireless Motion Detectors
Wireless Rem......

Wow! Nice job.

Though I would argue the "Insteon Security Camera" entry. While they have decided to slap an Insteon brand on there it's simple a paint job. They are not Insteon compatible in any way. They are simply IP-cameras with nothing different from what you would get from Foscam. Those were a disingenuous effort on their part.

This would be a great list to start a new sticky with.

Keep the new products and features coming!
Go to Top of Page

jdale
Advanced Member

USA
1205 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  1:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdale's Homepage
In fairness I don't know what a "Insteon security camera" would really be. Maybe that's the "motion detection from an IP camera" request?

I think the impressive thing is that about half the requests have become products. Not a bad ratio. Also, it's been 7 years but I still want a dual-band insteon chime module. ;)

Insteon FAQ: http://goo.gl/qNTNr
Go to Top of Page

jtempleton
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  10:02:38 AM  Show Profile
Still hoping they'll build the fan side of a fanlinc in a switchlinc enclosure.

And a dimmable outdoor plugin module would be nice. (dimmable version of 2634-222)
Go to Top of Page

fiddletownrob

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  7:30:03 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jdale

In fairness I don't know what a "Insteon security camera" would really be. Maybe that's the "motion detection from an IP camera" request?

maybe it will be a camera with a built in insteon power module in the transformer so that the camera could be activated without having to buy a separate LampLinc...oh wait, why sell us only one device when maybe they can sell us two! (actually right now it's less expensive to buy a Foscam + LampLinc than a Insteon Camera + LampLinc)...so that's what I'm doing until Insteon comes out with a more competitive package.

fiddletownrob
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page