Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

fiddletownrob

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  4:06:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi guys...how about taking your "discussions" about the merits/features (or lack of same) of existing devices elsewhere in the Forum. I thought this particular thread was about "Insteon Product / Module Requests".

Some/most of us want to post ideas for Insteon future products and see what others are requesting. We also hope the Insteon design team is actually reading the posts but it's hard to believe they will want to wade through 32 plus pages of "discussions" just to find a few new idea.

thanks...

fiddletownrob
Go to Top of Page

RobMtl007

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  09:18:51 AM  Show Profile

As I have mentioned in another message, it would be much better if
we have a voting system to vote for the best Insteon Module ideas.
As the thread is right now we can't see which module idea is the most popular.
Regards Robert

quote:
Originally posted by fiddletownrob

Hi guys...how about taking your "discussions" about the merits/features (or lack of same) of existing devices elsewhere in the Forum. I thought this particular thread was about "Insteon Product / Module Requests".

Some/most of us want to post ideas for Insteon future products and see what others are requesting. We also hope the Insteon design team is actually reading the posts but it's hard to believe they will want to wade through 32 plus pages of "discussions" just to find a few new idea.

thanks...

Go to Top of Page

shannong

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2014 :  09:52:24 AM  Show Profile
The thread goes back to 2006 so it's pointless anyways to have voting or otherwise.

Over the past month myself and several others suggested started a new thread to get a clean start but the moderators apparently don't think it's a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

kevinvw
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2014 :  2:20:59 PM  Show Profile
Wow, what a read.... 33 pages!! I confess I did skip a few, but the wishlist from last month was great! thanks for the summary.

I would like to add to the list. I have a couple of arduino projects that I would like to make an insteon responder. Yes, I could buy a PLM, works great for development, but I would like to package it a little better. A small circuit board would be ideal without the PLM housing or power prongs. kind of an inline-PLM with power on one side and serial on the other.

even more ideally would be just the power interface to receive and send raw data... a nice simple serial to serial-over-power converter. I know that seems harsh and a lot of extra work that has already been done, but I suspect this would be an even cheaper solution on the HW side and the insteon comm. protocol is pretty well documented.

anybody ever see anything like this?
any chance we will ever see a plm like circuit board out of SH for do-it-yourselfers?

Edited by - kevinvw on 01/06/2014 2:22:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

jwagner010

57 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  09:28:12 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see an INSTEON Inline Micro IOLinc. I think SmartHome would be onto a winner with an Inline Micro IOLinc. Most folks don't appreciate wallwarts all over the house and having an inline IOLinc would really allow the community to take INSTEON to the next level with the types of devices that could be connected to the INSTEON network and then controlled by the HUB, ISY, etc

For example, I could wire an Inline IOLinc behind the light switch at my front door and then hook the Inline IOlinc up to a contact switch in the deadbolt mortise to indicate if my door is locked or not. Today having a plug in IOLinc isn't an option either ascetically or the fact that I don't have an outlet nearby.
Go to Top of Page

racekarl
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2014 :  7:16:36 PM  Show Profile
For what it's worth, the outletlinc (at least the dimmable version) IS tamper resistant.

I would like the ability to set a minimum dim level on dimmable switches to accommodate LED lights that cut out when dimmed too low.
Go to Top of Page

Xathros
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2014 :  1:12:15 PM  Show Profile
I have to admit that I did NOT read all 33 pages of this thread so I'm hoping that this request is not already in here somewhere.

How about a 12v powered beacon that we can place in our cars for garage occupancy detection. This could be an on/off module with a timer set to send an on command once a minute/5 mins/30 mins. This way if we don't see a On from the beacon after a predetermined time we can assume the vehicle is gone. I have been toying with the idea of building my own out of an on/off module, a 12V to USB charge adapter and a 555 timer.

Heres hoping...

-Xathros

ISY-994IR/Pro 4.1.3
MAC OS X 10.9.2
CAI Webcontrol

RaspberryPi/Raspian
http://xathros.com
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2014 :  8:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
Occupancy sensors detect movement, not an empty vs. filled space. You can detect the absence or presence of a non-moving object using IR beam, such as these: http://home-automation.smarthome.com/search?view=list&w=ir%20beam

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

Xathros
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  06:58:22 AM  Show Profile
This is true, however, I'm not attempting to detect people in the garage, I have a motion sensor for that. I want to know which vehicles are in the garage. A beacon with a unique Insteon address installed in each vehicle will allow you to know which vehicle(s) is/are in the garage or in proximity of the garage. This solution is not affected by people or pets walking through an IR beam or by someone leaving an object in the wrong place blocking the beam.

ISY-994IR/Pro 4.1.3
MAC OS X 10.9.2
CAI Webcontrol

RaspberryPi/Raspian
http://xathros.com

Edited by - Xathros on 02/21/2014 07:00:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10432 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  08:44:10 AM  Show Profile
Back when x10 was dirt cheap, people did something similar with motion sensors. They'd mount one facing the floor pedals, wire it up to use the car's battery for power, then use the type of signal received as a pseudo presence detector. A more sophisticated controller could watch for On signals and wait for the matching Off signal to arrive. An On without a follow-up On or Off in the programmed number of minutes was assumed to mean that the car had left. Then the next On or Off message meant that a) it had returned, b) that someone else doing the same thing just drove by your garage, or c) that your neighbor was using a PalmPad to mess with you!

The on/off adapter is clever, but the market for such a device could be fairly small. The trend seems to be heading in a different direction, toward using smart phone geofencing and short-range Bluetooth radios both as presence detectors and keys. If your phone reaches out to your home controller to notify it that you've left the property, it can decrement an occupancy count variable and change house behavior once that drops to zero.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

shannong

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  09:27:37 AM  Show Profile
Motion sensors are poor Occupancy sensors and really only used since it's the easiest and cheapest approach. IMO, they're only useful for the basics of turning a light on/off. The susceptibility to false positives also works against them.

A true Occupancy sensor knows who is where. Did my car pull into the garage or is it my son's? Are we both home? I like the HVAC at a different temp than him. If he is home alone, then set it for his preference until I return. If I'm home and downstairs, he's not allowed to change that Tstat but he can change the one upstairs if I'm not up there.

A Bluetooth Low Energy enabled Insteon light switch, wall plug, or outlet would be ideal.

I'd be happy with a 12V Insteon transmitter for vehicles like Xathros suggested also. I'd like to put an AC-inverter in my car with an RF enabled Insteon device just for this purpose but haven't yet done research to find one that actually has a true or near sinewave output for it to work. I don't want a giant UPS in the trunk. The unique Insteon ID would tell WHO pulled in.

Edited by - shannong on 02/21/2014 09:36:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

KHouse

28 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2014 :  7:06:16 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to add a vote for a "heartbeat" for the Smoke Bridge. More specifically, would like to be able to know that my OneLink Smoke and CO alarms are "alive". A "heartbeat" similar to that of the water sensor would be great, if even possible.
Go to Top of Page

wittegeek
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2014 :  2:44:03 PM  Show Profile
I've seen this before, but I haven't seen one made yet. A wired insteon motion sensor. Yes. I know I can accomplish this with a regular motion sensor and a micro on off controller, but then I'm wiring it up instead of having it prewired.
Go to Top of Page

[email protected]
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  11:57:35 PM  Show Profile
I have yet to discover something along these lines for any home automation system so this could be a unique opportunity for some inventor...

I'd like to see a module that includes a microphone and a speaker that could be used for voice control. There are plenty of software options out there (CastleOS, HouseLinc, HAL) but no one has developed an easy way to setup voice activation in rooms without doing a lot of wiring and complex microphone setups. How much better would it be to have a simple table-top unit that plugged into the wall that could interface via WiFi network with a base station or a computer.

Optional extras could include room distinctive units (e.g. set a unit to know where it is and thus when someone asked "turn on the lights" it would know which room it came from and turn on the appropriate modules), integration with internet news feeds and weather (e.g. like HAL offers), and even the ability to integrate with a stereo from the unit to stream MP3s from the server computer to the room the unit is in.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  6:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wittegeek

I've seen this before, but I haven't seen one made yet. A wired insteon motion sensor.

A wired dual-band motion sensor (that doubles as a dimmer) would be a nice addition

Go to Top of Page

jhansen

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  3:20:44 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

quote:
Originally posted by wittegeek

I've seen this before, but I haven't seen one made yet. A wired insteon motion sensor.

A wired dual-band motion sensor (that doubles as a dimmer) would be a nice addition

I agree with stusviews a wired motion sensor that doubles as a dimmer would be great! Also, for the KeypadLinc, a four-button kit would be a great addition.

Jake
Go to Top of Page

danabu
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2014 :  10:07:57 PM  Show Profile
Would be great to be able to use my Insteon gear with IFTTT. A couple competitors are already there, including SmartThings and WeMo, but I don't want to switch platforms. Insteon dev team - how about making my Insteon Hub accessible through IFTTT?
Go to Top of Page

pyrorobert

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  06:31:55 AM  Show Profile
Any hope for an I/O Linc that has 2 controllable relays built in. I could use this in many different situations. I could use 3 of these to control my pool functions for the lights, the heater controls, and the actuators.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10432 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  06:42:59 AM  Show Profile
Robert, did you see this: http://www.smarthome.com/31274/Smartenit-EZIO-4-Input-2-Output-Relay-Controller/p.aspx

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5636 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  09:43:26 AM  Show Profile
Smartenit also makes a 4 output with no input version Insteon Module.
http://www.simplehomenet.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9357345390
I don't believe it is one of the modules Smarthome carries.
Go to Top of Page

pyrorobert

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2014 :  10:01:21 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

Robert, did you see this: http://www.smarthome.com/31274/Smartenit-EZIO-4-Input-2-Output-Relay-Controller/p.aspx

Yes, I did. I am just hoping for something not as costly and maybe smaller in size.

Thanks,
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10432 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2014 :  10:14:53 AM  Show Profile
The four output device is less expensive: http://www.smarthome.com/31283/Smartenit-EZIO40-INSTEON-4-Output-Relay-Load-Controller/p.aspx

Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2014 :  11:16:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
Bring back the original RemoteLinc or at least, a larger remote capable of being labelled.

Go to Top of Page

eclement
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2014 :  7:31:08 PM  Show Profile
I've just choose the convector from DIMPLEX for my new Home.
They come with the "CONNEX" RF Interface in order to be able to control all convectors from one place. I've also get their "Programable CONNEX Controler". Unfortunately, it's functionality and user interface is quite poor.

I'm dreaming of an INSTEON inferface in ordr to be able to integrate them with my other INSTEON devices.

Has any one knowledge about these convectors and their RF command ?

Thanks for any pointer.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2014 :  8:07:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
Are the heater 120V or 240V? Which specific convection heaters do you have?

You may want to post your question here: http://www.smarthome.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=16

Go to Top of Page

eclement
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  02:41:09 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Are the heater 120V or 240V? Which specific convection heaters do you have?

They are 240v heaters. Here they are:
http://www.dimplex.com/en/home_heating/linear_convectors

quote:
You may want to post your question here: http://www.smarthome.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=16

Thanks for the info. I do it.
Go to Top of Page

Isaac
Administrator

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2014 :  2:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Isaac's Homepage
All: After years of gathering your ideas for future INSTEON products, it is time to retire this thread. But don't worry, we are still very interested in your ideas. That's why we've got a brand new place for your submissions:
http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list

The INSTEON team is looking forward to your feedback.

INSTEON
Like us on Facebook
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2017 :  3:12:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage
Slave SwitchLinc, one that doesn't control a load.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page