Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  08:59:28 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see a switchlinc with an occupancy sensor. In particular I like this design:

http://www.novitas.com/News/NewProducts/SuperSwitch%202%20framed.htm

Having the occupancy sensor in the switch avoids having to worry about changing the batteries.
Go to Top of Page

GregK
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  09:22:46 AM  Show Profile
New member but have used Insteon & X-10 stuff for years. I assumed the new Houselinc Desktop sw would be conditional but unfortunately it's not. If you have sunset/sunrise adjustable feature then I can't see why you can't program into "timers" a differential between daytime and night??? Example: security gate opens, if it's dark, turn on certain lights, if daytime, do nothing. Maybe I'm missing a way to do that but not according to tech guys.

Anyway,

Need conditional software
" wireless remote
" motion sensors
" outlets
" countertop controller that shows status
" thermostats
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  09:45:19 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GregK

New member but have used Insteon & X-10 stuff for years. I assumed the new Houselinc Desktop sw would be conditional but unfortunately it's not. If you have sunset/sunrise adjustable feature then I can't see why you can't program into "timers" a differential between daytime and night??? Example: security gate opens, if it's dark, turn on certain lights, if daytime, do nothing. Maybe I'm missing a way to do that but not according to tech guys.

Anyway,

Need conditional software
" wireless remote
" motion sensors
" outlets
" countertop controller that shows status
" thermostats

HAL 2000 and HomeSeer software both provide conditional event processing, web access, integration with thermostats, etc., and are available now. For now, consider HouseLinc primarily a device link table management tool.

The KeypadLinc can be converted into a tabletop controller using the Simply Automated Pedestal Module.

I haven't seen any mention of controlled outlets in development, and I suspect that it is much lower on the priority list than IR and RF devices. For now, you can either use an Insteon ApplianceLinc or use some other automation protocol and integrate it using HAL or HomeSeer.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  10:03:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike's Homepage  Send mike an AOL message
Thanks for the requests - we are continuing to tally them. Please keep the suggestions coming.

SmartLabsMike
INSTEON - Linking Everything to Everything Else.
http://www.insteon.net
Go to Top of Page

dss

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  10:39:32 AM  Show Profile
I second the controlled outlets. I'm anxious for the RF Switchlincs. I have some switches without neutral wires that I want to automate. So far I've resisted going with x-10 Switchlinc RX's planning to go with Insteon going forward but hope it won't be much longer.

Another suggestion: sell switchlincs with most popular color change kits already installed (ie blue). If it would produce too many sku's or inventory space to be practical consider selling a 10 piece contractor kit with color change kits already installed. It would save us the tedium of changing all those switches. For an individual switch it might be no big deal but with multiple switches it would be nice. May even encourage people to buy more in bulk. I'd buy extra to get to the next multiple of 10 and just keep the spares around for future use.
Go to Top of Page

intellihome
Average Member

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  5:25:54 PM  Show Profile
I really would like to see Insteon
Palm pads
Key FOBS
occupancy sensors
Universal modules
and an easier way to set the switches up.
My 2 cents
Kevin

Kevin
Intelli-Home Automation and Security
Go to Top of Page

dschuetz
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  5:51:18 PM  Show Profile
I've been impressed with Insteon, at a technical/geek level, but haven't really bought into it yet. I just got a Keypadlinc, but I'm only using it as an X-10 controller for existing dimmers and modules. I've not yet begun to plan for a full-out conversion of outlets, modules, dimmers, IR receivers, and computer controllers, until a few more things get released and stable...

The one thing keeping me from jumping to Insteon fully is outlets. I have 5 X-10 outlets (the kind where one outlet is X-10 controlled, the other is always on). These are used for Christmas lights outside, where I'm not as comfortable about a lamp module being exposed to the elements. Until I can switch those for Insteon, I'm still going to be using mostly X-10. (yes, I can do hybrid for a while, but I'd rather just jump in all at once).

I'll also echo some of the comments in this and other threads about more configurable Keypads -- move the load to different buttons (best done by assigning the load an "internal" switch/ID, then linking that switch to your button of choice). Also, better control of the LEDs. I'd really like the option to have *no* "background" LEDs lit at all, because the contrast between "on" and "off" is just not good enough.

An IR receiver/controller would be nice, as would be a wireless one. Maybe an 8-button (RF) remote, to match the keypad link, or even a 16-button. You might even be able to work with very low power LEDs (OLEDs, maybe) to provide lit status buttons like on the keypadlink.

I thought of something new today and thought I'd suggest it. I've no personal interest in it, but I could see where some might. The specific idea was this: a small module that you stick inside your house doorbell chime. Powered by batteries or the doorbell transformer (depending on wiring), it would send an signal over wireless whenever the doorbell is pressed. A second plug-in unit would receive the special wireless signal and trigger whatever Insteon unit was linked to it. Maybe it flash lights. Or turn on the porch light. Or trigger a computer-based macro that does a bunch of things. Might be useful for a house with a deaf person, for example. This might be generalized beyond just doorbells to a variety of momentary close/open circuits, etc., the doorbell was just the thing that popped into my head. [and forgive me if this functionality is already out there somewhere!]

Also, it'd be nice if the lamp and appliance modules were smaller, closer to the current X-10 size (or even smaller). This might not be possible yet, until more of the Insteon circuitry is integrated onto fewer chips, perhaps (and might be a show-stopper for in-wall outlets, too).

So, to sum up:

* In-wall outlets (one controlled, one not)
* Improved keypadlink (no background LEDs, better load cfg, etc.)
* IR receiver
* RF receiver
* Smaller lamp and appliance modules

and, if it's not too crazy-off-the-wall, and others actually want it,

* Doorbell link

Overall, I'm really looking forward to adding more Insteon to my house and automating more than I ever could with X-10.

Oh, and please provide better support to the free and open source software community, so folks can write fully-featured controller software for Linux and such!
Go to Top of Page

Quixote
Average Member

61 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  09:05:52 AM  Show Profile

I posted this in another thread, but it was in the wrong place so I just wanted to paste this in the correct one:

I've tried using motion sensors in my bathroom (2) and I never achieved the desired results. I started rigging something up using a laser pointer modded to be wired to an ac adapter and a photo resistor that will be wired to my parallel port, but I never finished it. I have too many other unfinished projects.
I just had a great idea after reading the last couple of pages of this thread, though. I think it would be great if there was an Insteon door sensor that stuck on one side of a door frame and emitted an infra red beam, which would be bounced off of a reflective strip stuck on the other side of the door frame. When the beam is broken it would send an RF signal. If used in pairs you could figure out which direction someone is moving in.
Go to Top of Page

johnalex

18 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  6:01:51 PM  Show Profile
Id like to see a sensor that could be installed in a door (similar to a door entry burglar alarm sensor) that will be able to turn on a light for 5 minutes (or programmable time) and then have the light turn off after that time. I don't have an alarm system that's hooked up to my insteon system, so something like this could be very helpful.
Go to Top of Page

DennehyEnterprises
Average Member

Canada
71 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  8:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit DennehyEnterprises's Homepage
Why not just use a motion sensor light for around $30....they are a dime a dozen and availalbe at HomeDepot or Lowes or any number of places. These are good for closets, pantry's, laundry rooms etc etc.
Go to Top of Page

DennehyEnterprises
Average Member

Canada
71 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  09:21:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit DennehyEnterprises's Homepage
An Insteon/X10 combo blocking coupler repeater. This way we get hardwired coupling PLUS block any Insteon signals coming in from neighbouring houses. I install the X10 ones standard into every home....absolutely critial piece of hardware.
Go to Top of Page

intellihome
Average Member

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  07:36:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DennehyEnterprises

Why not just use a motion sensor light for around $30....they are a dime a dozen and availalbe at HomeDepot or Lowes or any number of places. These are good for closets, pantry's, laundry rooms etc etc.

That's no Fun!

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Baketech
Average Member

66 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  10:14:47 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mike

Thanks for the requests - we are continuing to tally them. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Interesting thread, with some good suggestions...

How about keeping a the list updated in the first post of this thread? That way one can see the running list without trying to dig through the entire thread... :twocents:

The 2-way nature of Insteon seems to suggest that it could make a really interesting garage door controller.
In addition to controlling the door, it could report back status of the open/closed condition. Beyond the handiness of just monitoring, you could automatically open/close the door via HouseLinc as needed...
Go to Top of Page

rsincavage
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  11:02:45 AM  Show Profile
Photo Sensor / Motion Detector.

I would love to have a combo unit which has a photo sensor and motion detector for indoor use. I would like to have groups/scenes that are dependant on the environment. For instance, if the room is dark and the light is off and there is motion, then bring the lights up to 20% - this could be for walking into a dark room at night.

Also if there is no motion for a certain amount of time to turn off the lights.
Go to Top of Page

rsincavage
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  11:03:30 AM  Show Profile
Drapes / Blinds

I would like to be able to control plantation blinds and drapes via insteon.
Go to Top of Page

rsincavage
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  11:11:00 AM  Show Profile
Garage Door Control and Status.

I would liek to be able to control the Garage door and to have feedback to know if it is opened or closed.
Go to Top of Page

intellihome
Average Member

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  2:20:54 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rsincavage

Drapes / Blinds

I would like to be able to control plantation blinds and drapes via insteon.

Somfy shades and blinds are supposedly Insteon enabled. I was at the EHX expo in Orlando two years ago and they had a display and said "Insteon coming soon".

Kevin
Go to Top of Page

GregK
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  08:46:33 AM  Show Profile
I know I mentioned conditional software but I don't think I mentioned downloadable to a PLC. Please, need the capability to be pc free. Houselinc Desktop almost does it but you can't DL it and it has no conditionals. Still can't understand why you can pick what day but not what part of the day (night) for events or triggers!

-Greg
Go to Top of Page

sbsnyder

22 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  06:57:21 AM  Show Profile
How about a ControLink that has backlighting.
You can't see which button your pressing in the dark. This my wife's biggest complaint.
Oh, and it's too big.
Oh, and it really should be wireless.

Fix those things and you'll sell a ton more within my neighborhood alone!
Go to Top of Page

burntcrispy
Average Member

133 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  10:19:47 AM  Show Profile
I would like to see a smaller controlinc with indicator leds to let you know what is on and what is off.

But none of those LEDs that resemble flood lights, I don't want to use it as a reading lamp, or runway lights, just an indicator. Also might want to go with green or a different color than brighter blue or white.
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  11:18:05 AM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
Yes, Yes, I add to this request. Wireless and backlit. Even upgrading the current one to be backlit would be great. I don't mind the plug in and the size next to my bed I would like to see the buttons though. Of course I don't want them to keep me up either!
Go to Top of Page

woodstea
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  11:48:00 AM  Show Profile
Two most important things for me:

1. Ethernet interface for PowerLinc controller. My home machine is a Mac Powerbook with Indigo software. I use it around the house and would like to connect to the controller over the network, without USB.

2. Option to disable LEDs on all modules. Too much light in my bedroom from this stuff.

Keep up the good work! I love your products...

-Rob
Go to Top of Page

joparka
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  10:44:53 AM  Show Profile
I have the following requests:

1. Outdoor quality outlets. I have multiple outdoor outlets that are currently on 1 switch inside the house and I would like to control all of the outlets independantly.
2. Drapes/Blinds controls
3. Outdoor wireless motion detectors
4. A feedback posting on this Topic from SmartLabs replying to the postings so far and maybe updated regularly (once a quarter?) that would give us some idea of what your thoughts (with no implied commitments even) and any third party plans that you are aware of regarding the items listed so far in this topic. That will give us some timeframe to work with. For example if Drape/Blind controls are no where on SmartLabs radar, I would reluctantly consider another alternative.
Go to Top of Page

papester
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  11:07:52 AM  Show Profile
INSTEON Controlled Outlets. I have about 30 x10 controlled outlets and would love to replace them with a INSTEON version.
Go to Top of Page

sweezy
Starting Member

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  12:24:59 PM  Show Profile
How is this coming along?
http://www.somfy.com/nam/index.cfm?contentid=DBD5DAFB-C700-B9F9-68E77327540513DE&language=en-us&rd=0.678864716868319

I would love to see something that converts INSTEON signals to RTS.
Go to Top of Page

smarty

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  08:17:31 AM  Show Profile
I have evaluated a smaller number of the various types of Insteon switchs in my present house (using ElkM1, PowerHome w/ Xlobby front end). Our new place is under construction and will use between 70-100 switchs.

I can't sleep in a room that is lit up with the backlight from 1 (or likely 2-3) keypadlincs, too bright - even when dimmed by the diaganol button press.

How about allowing for an Insteon "bit" to tell the keypadlincs to turn the backlight off? When I get up in the middle of the night, my motion sensors will tell the Elk, and the Elk could light up the keypadlincs. Too BRIGHT!!

PowerHome, Xlobby, GeoVision, Insteon, Elk M1 and SageTV
Go to Top of Page

Baketech
Average Member

66 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  05:56:57 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I've been fiddling with my first Insteon setup now for a couple of weeks. It's a very basic setup with about 12 devices doing simple lighting control via HouseLinc...

While I have a lot of ideas for new modules on my wish list, I can emphatically say that the numero uno item on my list would be a PLC that can be programmed with events and timers via HouseLinc and then run as a standalone controller...

Just my $0.02...
Go to Top of Page

mgaumond
Average Member

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  08:20:26 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Baketech

Okay, I've been fiddling with my first Insteon setup now for a couple of weeks. It's a very basic setup with about 12 devices doing simple lighting control via HouseLinc...

While I have a lot of ideas for new modules on my wish list, I can emphatically say that the numero uno item on my list would be a PLC that can be programmed with events and timers via HouseLinc and then run as a standalone controller...

Just my $0.02...

I would jump in and add my $2.00 (CDN$ of course).
Ah what the ek...$2.00 (US$)

Cheers all,

Marc G
Go to Top of Page

Tonz
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  09:09:24 AM  Show Profile
What am I missing? I though the PowerLinc Controller COULD be used as a stand-alone controller. The SH listing is quoted here:

"The INSTEON (patent pending) PowerLinc Controller is a stand-alone home automation interface for controlling lights, appliances, heating/air conditioning systems and alarm systems. This module has on-board memory so timers and macros can be downloaded without the need to leave your computer up and running. This home automation interface uses a computer's Universal Serial Bus (USB) connection for downloading timer and event macros."

What can't you do with it? You need to leave your pc turned on?

I'm new to this. I have my first order of Insteon on it's way ($500+). I hope my expectations are realistic.

Thanks.
Tonz
Go to Top of Page

cmhardwick

377 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  09:17:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit cmhardwick's Homepage
Currently, the HouseLinc software will not download to the PLC. Using the free timer software you CAN setup the PLC timers and just use it. I think they are working on this for the next release of HouseLinc so you don't have to leave the computer on 24/7

Cicero
New to home auto and driving my wife CRAZY!! (well, not new to driving her crazy, but you know what I mean)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page