Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

bmil
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  09:40:56 AM  Show Profile
What the heck, might as well chime in too (plus it's theraputic)..

- Yet another vote for getting rid of the halogen LED's. Your original ToggleLinc V1's had just the right brightness.

- ControlLinc is a waste. Only 5 buttons (w/ no button led), it's clear LED makes the SwitchLinc LED's look dim. Plus if you use an automation program, like Power-Home, that puts out a lot of Insteon traffic, the damn LED flashes constantly like a beacon.

I put a KeypadLinc in a Simply Automated table-top switch housing and use it instead (8 lit buttons with individual indications).

- Consider modifying the design of the KeyPadLinc.. Currently you only have a choice between a single switch or a 6/8 button switch. Many installs beg for a 2,3 or 4 switch option for a single gang spot. How about a KeyPadLinc where the middle 4 buttons could be combined into large buttons like 1/2 and 7/8 can. That would give the option of say 4 large buttons, 3 large and 2 small, etc. Had to eliminate several Insteon installs and go UPB because they wanted only a 2 or 3 button single gang switch and didn't want the overkill of a KeyPadLinc or it's small buttons.

Provide for an Insteon command to just flash an individual button's LED. Then a KeyPadLinc could also function as a "status panel" for a home automation system without any special wiring. I.e. colored lighted buttons for garage door open/closed, sensor tripped, greenhouse temperature alert, etc. Obviously it already has a "flash button X LED" as it does this when a button is put into linking mode. Just think something like this would greatly increase the possible uses for this product.

- Provide the Icon line with clear led's and the small single lightpipe for a users choice of color by buying the color lightpipe of their choice. (one batch of Icon's had a clear single lightpipe). I really don't think a lot of people pay the $$ extra to go with a SwitchLinc instead of an Icon just so they can have a color other than amber. (but I'm no marketing expert either).

Ok, I feel much better now and eagerly await the RF products...

p.s. A little bit extra attention on the QC side, please!
Go to Top of Page

mgaumond
Average Member

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  10:12:10 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tonz

What am I missing? I though the PowerLinc Controller COULD be used as a stand-alone controller. The SH listing is quoted here:

"The INSTEON (patent pending) PowerLinc Controller is a stand-alone home automation interface for controlling lights, appliances, heating/air conditioning systems and alarm systems. This module has on-board memory so timers and macros can be downloaded without the need to leave your computer up and running. This home automation interface uses a computer's Universal Serial Bus (USB) connection for downloading timer and event macros."

What can't you do with it? You need to leave your pc turned on?

I'm new to this. I have my first order of Insteon on it's way ($500+). I hope my expectations are realistic.

Thanks.
Tonz

I am new to this as well and received my $500CDN order yesterday.

From what I read, the houselinc is very good at linking devices and creating events. It needs a PLC to access the powerline network but the PLC does not respond to the houselinc.

For the PLC to work in standalone mode, i.e. no computer, you need the free PLC Timer software available on this site.

That is why, on my order I took 2 starter kits so I can get the PLC with the Houselinc with one kit and with the other, I get switches and RF Signalinc.

My plan is to use the Houselinc to do the linking and the network management but plan to use the Timer software to program the PLC with daily events until Houslinc and/or the PLC can talk to each other in a better way.

My computer is 24/7 on when I am in town but when gone on vacation, I turn it off so having the PC to control timers is a no-no for me. The timers need to run without PC.

Cheers all,

Marc G
Go to Top of Page

majortom

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  11:38:11 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bmil

- Consider modifying the design of the KeyPadLinc..

Take a look at my post on page 1 of this thread. Is that what you want for KeypadLinc switches?

/carmi
Go to Top of Page

DaveGee
Average Member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  1:41:00 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bmil
Ok, I feel much better now and eagerly await the RF products...

eagerly await the RF products?

Heck it's been so long (6 months if not more) I'd settle for ANY new INSTEON products. Something 'really bad' must of happened to cause ZERO new products to come out for this long a period of time... And... no, the custom KeyPadLinc buttons do NOT count as an 'INSTEON' product. :lol:

Dave
Go to Top of Page

George7g
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  8:44:06 PM  Show Profile
NEED:
Kind of equivalents to X-10:

-wireless controller = PalmPad
-built in receptacle = SmartSocket
-wireless motion detectors = EagleEye
-wireless transcievers = TM751
-dry relay modules = Universal Module

I am eager to switch to Insteon, BUT until at least the first four are available, I won't do it, because my family would not stand currently substandard Insteon offering.

Wake up SmartHome!!! You keep promising us new stuff every quarter after quarter and NOTHING! Until you invest into R&D of these new products few would ever buy it and your cash flow would be non-existent.

What's going on with Insteon? Is it stillborn?

George
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  1:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
The TM751 for Insteon does exist. The Signalinc module wich is their phase coupler as well is exactly that. It's just there are no RF modules to talk to them (other than each other for phase coupling).
Go to Top of Page

JohnLOBoyle
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  06:35:18 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Calox

What Insteon products are forum users waiting for?

I know that I have a a handful, but I'd like to see what other forum users are thinking. Here's my list:

- Wireless/Wired Motion Detectors
- Wireless Remotes
- Thermostats
- Plug-in Modules (i.e. "Socket Rockets")
- Security Cameras

All of the above!

JLOB
Go to Top of Page

Jeffx

54 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  04:51:38 AM  Show Profile
INSTEON MOTION SENSING FLOOD LIGHTS!

My x10 motion sensing floodlighs are the only x10 devices I have left. My back deck floods are in an x10 blackhole, so I have no control of them apart from the keypadlinc that is next in line on the wire.
Go to Top of Page

bcmayes
Average Member

100 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2006 :  09:33:55 AM  Show Profile
Receptacles, receptacles, receptacles, receptacles.

These would eliminate the need for ApplianceLinc modules in many homeowner situations, AND would accommodate multi-gang outlets without limiting outlet availability. Obviously renters and special home situations would probably warrant keeping the modules, but the alternative is a must.

Also, how about a trial version of HouseLinc? Every other home control software I've seen offers at least a 15-day trial; most offer 30 days. I could figure out within about two hours if a piece of software works as I need it to, and if it doesn't I'd rather not be stuck with it because software is non-refundable. The trial should be fully functional with the only exceptions being the expiration after 30 days and the reminders at startup (and maybe some reminder watermarking on printouts).

Byron

Edited by - bcmayes on 11/25/2006 06:57:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sean P Logue
Average Member

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  08:59:53 AM  Show Profile
Any word yet on the IR Linc to allow universal remotes to control the lights? This is a very glaring omission, and is the thing I would like to see come out next. I really expected to see it by now, certainly before some of the more esoteric devices.

Sean

"If you can't win, change the rules."
Go to Top of Page

Just Another Joe

Canada
219 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  5:02:16 PM  Show Profile
Both have been mentioned before, but I would like a KeyPadLinc Relay, and above all and everything else, RF remotes!

And oh, yes, as also has been mentioned, I would like the KeyPadLinc to allow placing the main load button at any position.

Me? I'm just another Joe.
Symmetry, synergy, synchronicity, serendipity.
Why be politically correct, when you can be right?

Edited by - Just Another Joe on 12/05/2006 9:45:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

joeria
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  8:03:09 PM  Show Profile
How about an inline linc with 2 loads and 2 adresses so that a fan and light can be controlled from a keypad linc?

Joeria
Go to Top of Page

Viper

59 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2006 :  7:00:54 PM  Show Profile
Please move the ground wire that is on the SwitchLincs so that it doesn't go over the edge of the box. The current location of the ground wire attachment can cause the switches to not sit flat on the bottom and may cause the switch plate covers to not completely seal to the wall on the bottom.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

deckhardt

33 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  8:24:12 PM  Show Profile
It's almost the end of the fourth quarter, any early Christmas announcements like an IR Bridge?
Go to Top of Page

DaveGee
Average Member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2006 :  07:46:45 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by deckhardt

It's almost the end of the fourth quarter, any early Christmas announcements like an IR Bridge?

With next to nothing being released over the past TWO quarters (half a year without a new product!!!) I'd think it safe to assume that any schedule that had once existed is clearly out the window. I'm assuming that it's either a supplier/manufacture screw-up OR an engineering screw-up. Either way somebody somewhere is probably out of a job (or should be).

No matter how you sugar coat it... this is BAD for the company in so many ways.

Just my .02 cents

Dave

Edited by - DaveGee on 12/12/2006 07:47:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sean P Logue
Average Member

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  05:05:45 AM  Show Profile
Here's a good one -- how about the ability to make the paddle on a switch *not* control its local load, while still allowing a different switch to trigger it. Something like that would allow any switch in the house to control any load, regardless of the original wiring scheme.

Go to Top of Page

cmhardwick

377 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  06:21:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit cmhardwick's Homepage
hehehe I have enough trouble trying to remember what switch controls what lights in some locations in my home, now you just want to confuse me more

Cicero
New to home auto and driving my wife CRAZY!! (well, not new to driving her crazy, but you know what I mean)

Edited by - cmhardwick on 12/15/2006 06:22:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

DaveGee
Average Member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  07:25:59 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sean P Logue

Here's a good one -- how about the ability to make the paddle on a switch *not* control its local load, while still allowing a different switch to trigger it. Something like that would allow any switch in the house to control any load, regardless of the original wiring scheme.

That's an interesting idea for sure... Unfortunately in this and many homes it would register a negative 9.6 magnitude on the WAF scale....
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  1:28:54 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
quote:

You can allready do this with the inline modules. You would then just put a solid switch plate over it. They you can have another switch control that load, but there would be no local switch.

Unless you would also want a switch there that controls something else, but I can't think of a situation that makes sense.....

Right now, I'm with the others, I'd settle on ANY news of ANY items.... Also, how about making it possilbe on the smarthome site so we can go to one place to see the new insteon items. It is really hard to find things up there sometimes.....
Go to Top of Page

cmhardwick

377 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  8:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit cmhardwick's Homepage
Amen on the "new Insteon" category. There's new everything else category. Nice to have a one stop link!

Cicero
New to home auto and driving my wife CRAZY!! (well, not new to driving her crazy, but you know what I mean)
Go to Top of Page

Sean P Logue
Average Member

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  06:22:06 AM  Show Profile
Interesting -- I asked my wife about it this morning and her response was "why wouldn't you want the ability to do that?" so I guess your mileage on that may vary.

The blank plate trick won't really work for what I had in mind, as it removes a switch altogether. Here's an example of an application:

The two primary switches for my kitchen control the main overhead can lights. We often leave on the undercabinet lights instead, because generally we prefer those for the main lighting instead of the ceiling cans. The undercabinet lights are controlled by a switch under the cabinets, so it would be nice to be able to change things around so that the main switches to the room turn off and on the undercabinet lights, while the harder to get to swich under the cabinets controls the main lighting for those times when we want to use it.

This can't be done right now because a switch paddle always controls its local load.

Go to Top of Page

snowjay
Average Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  10:36:57 AM  Show Profile
Sean, you can do what you want by using inline modules for the under cab lights and using a keypad in place of one of the paddles. then everything in the room can be controlled at one location. Thats much more intuitive than wall switches controlling under cab lights and under cab switches controlling the ceiling lights.
Go to Top of Page

Sean P Logue
Average Member

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  11:55:04 AM  Show Profile
Very good idea. That's actually what I ended up doing to work around this. Works pretty well, too, as I can use the A button for the main lights, and the B button right beside it for the undercabinet lights.

Go to Top of Page

snowjay
Average Member

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  1:25:41 PM  Show Profile
Cool! :)
Go to Top of Page

Just Another Joe

Canada
219 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  6:34:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by snowjay

Sean, you can do what you want by using inline modules for the under cab lights and using a keypad in place of one of the paddles. then everything in the room can be controlled at one location.

But, you wouldn't have to use inline modules. You could just use a SwitchLinc or Icon switch under the cabinets, and link the desired KeypadLinc button to the switch. That way, you can still control the cabinet lights from the cabinet switch when you want to.

Me? I'm just another Joe.
Symmetry, synergy, synchronicity, serendipity.
Why be politically correct, when you can be right?
Go to Top of Page

LIKWARTZ
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  3:16:17 PM  Show Profile
I would like to see a revised version of Smarthome Manager that supports Insteon. The user interface, download to the device and device control is hands down better than any of the other packages offered. I have the x10 version and its just better than anything else. I have mcontrol and it doesn't cut it. The timer esseentials is sorely deficient.
Go to Top of Page

Stowaway
Average Member

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  10:05:10 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LIKWARTZ

I would like to see a revised version of Smarthome Manager that supports Insteon. The user interface, download to the device and device control is hands down better than any of the other packages offered. I have the x10 version and its just better than anything else. I have mcontrol and it doesn't cut it. The timer esseentials is sorely deficient.
Have you tried HomeLink? That is the replacement for SmartHome Manager when you talk about Insteon!

Edited by - Stowaway on 12/24/2006 10:07:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

LIKWARTZ
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2006 :  4:56:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stowaway

quote:

Have you tried HomeLink? That is the replacement for SmartHome Manager when you talk about Insteon!

My understanding is that it doesn't allow download. You have to leave your computer running.
Go to Top of Page

Stowaway
Average Member

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  02:58:02 AM  Show Profile
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Stowaway

quote:

Have you tried HouseLink? That is the replacement for SmartHome Manager when you talk about Insteon!

My understanding is that it doesn't allow download. You have to leave your computer running.

You are correct - HouseLinc does not download YET, but Mike and other SmartHome engineers have said that it will download in a future version. Meanwhile, HouseLinc gives you many other tools such as setting links, ramp rates, and light levels without having to run around the house pushing buttons!

I use HouseLinc timers when I am home but when I am gone the timers program gives my home the lived-in-look.

SmartHome understands that HouseLinc has to be a complete solution and for now I am just glad to use it for all of the other features and learn the potential of Home Automation.

Edited per Viper - Thank you.
> > > I had just read another post using HomeLink and it stuck in my foggy head.....

Edited by - Stowaway on 12/27/2006 02:37:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

Viper

59 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  07:00:30 AM  Show Profile
HouseLinc
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: