quote:
Originally posted by Stowaway

quote:
Originally posted by LIKWARTZ

quote:
Originally posted by Stowaway

quote:
Originally posted by LIKWARTZ

I would like to see a revised version of Smarthome Manager that supports Insteon. The user interface, download to the device and device control is hands down better than any of the other packages offered. I have the x10 version and its just better than anything else. I have mcontrol and it doesn't cut it. The timer esseentials is sorely deficient.
Have you tried HouseLink? That is the replacement for SmartHome Manager when you talk about Insteon!

My understanding is that it doesn't allow download. You have to leave your computer running.

You are correct - HouseLinc does not download YET, but Mike and other SmartHome engineers have said that it will download in a future version. Meanwhile, HouseLinc gives you many other tools such as setting links, ramp rates, and light levels without having to run around the house pushing buttons!

I use HouseLinc timers when I am home but when I am gone the timers program gives my home the lived-in-look.

SmartHome understands that HouseLinc has to be a complete solution and for now I am just glad to use it for all of the other features and learn the potential of Home Automation.

Edited per Viper - Thank you.
> > > I had just read another post using HomeLink and it stuck in my foggy head.....

I think what will happen is that since this is called the desktop version they'll come out with a professional version that will allow download and if you own the desktop version you'll need to buy the professional version to get download capability.
Go to Top of Page

gatchel

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  09:29:15 AM  Show Profile
Togglelinc 1000W
Keypadlinc Relay
An Insteon Version of the PHT02 Mini Timer
A housing to use a Keypadlinc as a tabletop controller or a smaller version of the Controlinc...that thing is massive.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  12:35:17 PM  Show Profile
The KeypadLinc tabletop controller housing is already available--I'm looking at one as I type this. Search the web for Simply Automated Pedestal Module model ZTP2-BK.
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  3:30:32 PM  Show Profile
This should be mostly a software issue, but I'd like an Insteon version of the controlinc Maxi. If we're going to have a big ugly device, at least make it be able to control every darn device in the house.

I say it should be mostly a software issue, because if you compare the boards in the Insteon ControlincV2 and the X10 Controlinc maxi, they're almost identical besides the size - they even have almost identical components!. Also, the X10 Controlinc maxi's LED responds to insteon traffic....
Go to Top of Page

Sean P Logue
Average Member

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2007 :  09:05:50 AM  Show Profile
Two thumbs up for the Simply Automated Pedestal Module. I have two of them in black on either side of my bed, and they are fantastic. It is quick and easy to install a keypad in them, too.

It is a great product -- Smarthome should stock them.

"If you can't win, change the rules."
Go to Top of Page

DaveGee
Average Member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  12:17:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sean P Logue

Two thumbs up for the Simply Automated Pedestal Module. I have two of them in black on either side of my bed, and they are fantastic. It is quick and easy to install a keypad in them, too.

It is a great product -- Smarthome should stock them.

Really?!?!

This thing?

That 8 button, antiseptic white, designed to look like a controller that hangs off the side of a hospital bed - that thing?!?! I dunno but if the folks at SmartHome ever came out with an item like that and tried to sell it for $100 bucks??! I think I'd hang it all up and go back to candles for lighting and waterwheels for power... :lol:

I don't get it... that (near as I can tell) doesn't do a heck of a lot more than this thing that you can (or could a few years back) find at any Radio-Shack selling for $9.99 + tax.

I sure hope I'm missing something or perhaps found the wrong item...

Dave
Go to Top of Page

gregjsmith
Average Member

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  12:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit gregjsmith's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DaveGee

I don't get it... that (near as I can tell) doesn't do a heck of a lot more than this thing that you can (or could a few years back) find at any Radio-Shack selling for $9.99 + tax.

You can stick a keypadlinc in the housing, and have a lighted button pad with more capabilities.

http://www.greginthedesert.net/
Go to Top of Page

DaveGee
Average Member

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2007 :  1:17:22 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gregjsmith

quote:

You can stick a keypadlinc in the housing, and have a lighted button pad with more capabilities.

Ah.... okay my mistake (sorta) it's basically an in-wall electrical box in a ul approved housing acceptable for table top use where you can then drop in something like a keypadlinc.

I'm still not seeing a huge benefit here...

The empty box ... lets say 25-30
The keypadlinc is another 50 (iirc)

So you're still looking at spending at-least $75 for a 6 or 8 button tabletop remote...

For $29 I can get a 5 / 10 button INSTEON ControlLinc and it's not nearly as bad looking... I still the unit pictured above is really fuggly and I totally expected to see a 'call nurse' panic button in read... but then again, I do also realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what appeals to me could look like crap to someone else....

Dave
Go to Top of Page

rsincavage
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  06:33:07 AM  Show Profile
I see that they have finally added the Timer Switch... I hope this is the beginning of a roll out of new products?

http://www.smarthomepro.com/2476st.html
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  08:36:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike's Homepage  Send mike an AOL message
Just a reminder to keep on topic.

Also - we do stock those products but we are currently out of stock.
skus are 2290BB and 2290BW.

SmartLabsMike
INSTEON - Linking Everything to Everything Else.
http://www.insteon.net
Go to Top of Page

yardman 49
Average Member

USA
180 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  7:43:48 PM  Show Profile

How about a 15 amp FilterLinc? It seems that the 15 amp 4845ACF that you used to carry is now obsolete. I have devices that can use more than 15 amps at full load. Since many household circuits are now rated up to 20 amps, it would seem that even a 20 amp filter should be available. The current highest unit you carry is the 10 amp FilterLinc.

In addition, it should be a filter that will work equally well for Insteon as well as X10.

I also second the request for some sort of affordable Insteon signal analyzer.

Frank
Go to Top of Page

gsouza
Starting Member

Brazil
13 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2007 :  9:13:14 PM  Show Profile
I recently bought some 5 amp filterlincs and 10 amp filterlincs. I dont know why but I opened one 5 amp and one 10 amp modules to see the diferences and for my surprize, the 5 amp and the 10 amp is the same product. same capacitors, same inductors, same wire sizing. i would like to know how smarthome could sell two products with diferent prices for diferent aplications cheating the customer. what is the correct specification? both modules are for 5 amp or 10 amp?

Mike, i would like to see your answer on that.

thanks and take care all.

Gustavo

Edited by - gsouza on 01/03/2007 9:15:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Viper

59 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  04:57:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gsouza

I recently bought some 5 amp filterlincs and 10 amp filterlincs. I dont know why but I opened one 5 amp and one 10 amp modules to see the diferences and for my surprize, the 5 amp and the 10 amp is the same product. same capacitors, same inductors, same wire sizing. i would like to know how smarthome could sell two products with diferent prices for diferent aplications cheating the customer. what is the correct specification? both modules are for 5 amp or 10 amp?

Gustavo

The practice of using upgraded internals is pretty common in lots of industries. It is usually done when there is a cost savings to the company, fewer assembly lines, quantity discounts on parts, shortage of lower grade parts. Intel and AMD sell faster processors with artificially lower clock rates. It is buyer beware if they use the device "out of spec". The company can "meet or exceed" the spec. The consumer CANNOT rely on the "exceed" part of that statement. In your case, I'd say that you got a bonus instead of being cheated.

Additionally, think about warranty costs. Technically speaking, for the same internals, fewer 5 amp filters should fail than 10 amp filters. Also if you plug a 10 amp load into a 5 amp filter, Smarthome doesn't have to replace it if it fails. Hence the cost savings of those two things, they can pass onto you when you buy a 5 amp vs a 10 amp.

Edited by - Viper on 01/04/2007 04:57:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

msimpy
Average Member

120 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  07:41:14 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Gustavo

Something is different betwwen the 2 because if you look at the specs the 10amp is heavier in weight than the 5amp, even though both are rated at 15amp total filtered/unfiltered.

Respectfully I would suggest that your comment with regard to "cheating" is simply uncalled for.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussions!!

Mike S.

Edited by - msimpy on 01/04/2007 07:42:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  07:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
Motion Sensors!!!!!!!!

Please, please, please....

I'm trying to get lights to turn on when I walk into a room. Today, I'm using HS to pick up on a motion trigger and turn on a the light. It works, but if you walk into the room when HS is a little busy, there could be a 2-5 second delay.

If I had an insteon motion detector I could have it turn the light on directly. That would be the fastest and then it could also notify HS where I could take other action if I like.

It would also be nice to make sure that the no-motion does not necesseraly turn off the light. That should be configurable.....
Go to Top of Page

bcmayes
Average Member

100 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  10:01:09 AM  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

Two thumbs up for the Simply Automated Pedestal Module.

Really?!?!

This thing?

That 8 button, antiseptic white, designed to look like a controller that hangs off the side of a hospital bed - that thing?!?! I dunno but if the folks at SmartHome ever came out with an item like that and tried to sell it for $100 bucks??! I think I'd hang it all up and go back to candles for lighting and waterwheels for power... :lol:

I sure hope I'm missing something or perhaps found the wrong item...

You found the wrong item...sort of. Simply Automated makes the housing alone and it sells for $9.99. I just bought two and use them to set up switches before installation. Perfect thing for In-LineLincs where getting to them is a pain once installed.

What you found is the kit that includes an 8-button UPB switch. That's why it costs $119.

It also comes in black.

Now, get back on topic.
Go to Top of Page

bcmayes
Average Member

100 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  8:45:12 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Here's a good one -- how about the ability to make the paddle on a switch *not* control its local load, while still allowing a different switch to trigger it. Something like that would allow any switch in the house to control any load, regardless of the original wiring scheme.

What if you just set the switch on level to 0 (zero)?

Byron
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2007 :  9:32:10 PM  Show Profile
If you do that, and the local load was currently on, then pressing the 'on' paddle causes the local load to be dimmed to zero.

You have to go to something like UPB to get this feature at present. But the downside is that UPB has a complex installation and configuration system compared to the typical few button presses or insteon. UPB installation pretty much requires a computer.

While on the subject, I like the UPB switches ability to use interchangeable faceplates with differenet configurations. eg: put two rockers on one switch body, or one half-sized rocker with 4 buttons, etc. Of course, the price of that is that you'd get additional configuration requirements. eg: see the enlargement photo of smarthome product #22900 - it shows three swappable faceplates.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  04:42:29 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by PeterW

While on the subject, I like the UPB switches ability to use interchangeable faceplates with differenet configurations. eg: put two rockers on one switch body, or one half-sized rocker with 4 buttons, etc.

[speculationmode]I *think* that's what they were positioning themselves for with the KeypadLinc design. All it would take is firmware to program different combinations of microswitch buttons to work together and some new, replaceable faceplates.[/speculationmode]
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  12:46:22 PM  Show Profile
Yes, smarthome could probably do it with the keypadlincV2 body. After all, that is what the UPB folks do - most of their switches are actually 8-button keypad bodies with a choice of faceplate that has 1, 2, 3, etc rockers and/or buttons.

The catch for smarthome is that they don't have a lot of depth of the key faceplate available or making mechanical support for weird and wonderful faceplate button combinations. It is kinda thin. The UPB folks have half an inch or so of thickness to support the mid-paddle rocker hinges etc.

I'd rather not have this if it meant the faceplates were mechanically unsound.
Go to Top of Page

gsouza
Starting Member

Brazil
13 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  9:00:35 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by msimpy

quote:

Gustavo

Something is different betwwen the 2 because if you look at the specs the 10amp is heavier in weight than the 5amp, even though both are rated at 15amp total filtered/unfiltered.

Respectfully I would suggest that your comment with regard to "cheating" is simply uncalled for.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussions!!

Mike S.

Mike,
Regarding your comment,
if you want, i can send you some pictures of both devices so you can check that both are the same hardware without any diferences.

cya,

Gustavo
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  06:49:16 AM  Show Profile
Gustavo, did you see the reply to your post in another topic? Standard manufacturing practice is to use parts that meet or exceed stated capacities, depending on parts prices or availability. Don't expect that past or future products will contain the same parts, nor that *all* the parts were similarly upgraded. And don't expect SmartHome to replace a part that you've used in an over-stated-capacity application--there may be unseen parts hidden in there that *do* have that limitation.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

PeterW

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  12:42:33 PM  Show Profile
I've accidentally put a 5A Filterlinc in front of a device that supposedly peaks at 8 amps (clothes washing machine with digital controlled sequential motor) and have blown the fuse in the 5A module. The 10A filter works fine. So either the 5A ones are fused at 5A, or the load was actually above 10A.
Go to Top of Page

bcmayes
Average Member

100 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  1:58:33 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by PeterW

If you do that, and the local load was currently on, then pressing the 'on' paddle causes the local load to be dimmed to zero.

Oh yeah, that's right. Likewise, the off button would still turn the load off (and the goal is no load control at all),

Ah well.

Byron
Go to Top of Page

gsouza
Starting Member

Brazil
13 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  9:23:27 PM  Show Profile
Yes PeterW the only diference is the fuse.

if you change the fuse to 10 AMP, you will have a 10 AMP filter exactly like smarthome sells for 10 more bucks.

cya
Go to Top of Page

phlips
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  3:17:02 PM  Show Profile
Since filtering needed to control the noise on the power line from CFLs or low-voltage lighting, and since these filters are connected in parallel to the load, could a switchlinc or lamp module be developed that is a filter and an Insteon control device (and maybe save us a couple $$ too)?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  7:05:13 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by phlips

Since filtering needed to control the noise on the power line from CFLs or low-voltage lighting, and since these filters are connected in parallel to the load, could a switchlinc or lamp module be developed that is a filter and an Insteon control device (and maybe save us a couple $$ too)?

That would make a lot of sense for in-line devices.

What I'd actually prefer for CFL bulbs/switching power supplies is a "Certified Insteon Compatible" program that would have manufacturers submit devices for testing. Some of these devices have lifespans approaching a decade, so having manufacturers add a few cents to build a better product really makes more sense than adding dollars to the price of Insteon devices.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

frankjw

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  5:16:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Yes PeterW the only diference is the fuse.

if you change the fuse to 10 AMP, you will have a 10 AMP filter exactly like smarthome sells for 10 more bucks.

cya

This sounds familiar. Now where have I heard this before? Oh yea, the "1000 watt" SL that really is the 600 watt SL only with $.02 worth of aluminum added for 20$.
Go to Top of Page

gsouza
Starting Member

Brazil
13 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2007 :  8:17:14 PM  Show Profile
Exactly !!!

this is my point.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked