Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

msmcknight1
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  12:34:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new at this, but one thing I can say for sure that I would like is more toggle-style switches (ie ToggleLinc).

Can someone explain why there are so many more choices in the SwitchLinc category? Maybe I'm just old fashion, but those fat switches are just ugly to me.

As I try to integrate Insteon into my existing electrical system, I like being able to replace a single plain ole toggle-style light switch with a smart one. I don't want to have to replace the face plate and have a switch that looks completely different than every other switch in my house!

Someone mentioned it before, but I'll cast my vote for it here as well... I would like to see a 1000W ToggleLinc switch.

I would also like to see a Temperature/Humidity probe... not a thermostat to control anything directly, but a device I can put in a remote location to simply read what the environment is like so I can react to it.

Hey Mike, can you give us an update on when/if we will see a 1000W Insteon ToggleLinc switch? What about a temp/humidity probe?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

deckhardt

33 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  06:24:32 AM  Show Profile
We Installers NEED an IR-Bridge.

Recommending Insteon is almost impossible without the IR-Bridge.

This is killing me on installs as almost every single install has a home theater, where the customer wants to push a button on the remote and have everything happen, including lighting.

I don't even care what it looks like, in the vast majority of cases it will go into a wiring closet with the rest of the hardware anyway.

I certainly don't want to rely on a PC to pull it all together as that typically causes unpaid maintenance requirements.

sorry for the double post, CES 2007, but this seemed a more appropriate location.

Dave

Edited by - deckhardt on 01/19/2007 06:25:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

sloop
Advanced Member

USA
574 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  2:04:43 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by saltcedar

Something I've never seen requested on any forum...
A Timerlinc replacement. I must be the only one in
North America who purchase one.
Judging by the price anyway!
Still it's been a real workhorse and only lacked battery
backup for the clock/calandar.

make that two of us - love the one i bought - it was my only controller for all my x10 devices - i planned to add several more but they were discontinued - i'd like something similar for insteon that can be loaded from a pc application, touchscreen, as small as possible, pleasing look, in both wired and r/f models, wall mount or tabletop - but affordable - those $2000 models are out of my price range because i'd like about 6 of them

receptacles - preferably a model with dimming capabilities for lamps (i promise not to plug my vacuum into it) - i am unwilling to look at a wall wart - my compromise has been 7 watt bulbs - but there are no insteon outlets - a must have before i go insteon

r/f transmitters - at least a fob or something

security system interface (i have dsc)

software - trial version of houselinc (already bought a powerlinc to try homeseer) - better presentation for houselinc - gui interface so i can have point and click on my floorplan - e/mail interface for alerts - web access (though i use rpc with dyn/dns for that) - phone access for those that would use it - sms message alerts - pda companion application (windows mobile based) - voice control would be fun (keeping my jetsons sound effects file just in case) - capability to offload the work to another device (powerlinc or preferably a touchscreen controller)

i am skipping the motion sensor step and waiting for proximity cards (would not help with the 'shower-in-the-dark' problem unless there is a suppository form of the chip)

converged functions! security system keypads - fob to unlock car - key to start car - fob for light control - fob for arming/disarming security system - garage door opener - cell phone - ipod - personal computers - tv remotes - audio remotes - boxes for cable - boxes to stream tv to a pda - wifi - evdo - bluetooth -water detection - voicemail - weather stations - gps navigation - i/r sensors - contacts lists - caller id - sigh

i'm not asking for automated laundry - i guess my point is it takes many, many products from many vendors to attempt convergence - i was hoping my lighting could be controlled by one vendor - which is a major consideration when choosing a vendor - to be fair, i never knew i needed to choose my fade rate on a dimmer - but it is now a 'must have' as well as the ability to set it remotely from a pc ;) smarthome has spoiled me with their products - but i am disappointed that if i change out my failed switches and dimmers with insteon, i will have to support x10 receptacles (and ditch my timerlinc and rf devices and ir device) - the switchlinc plus dimmers are discontinued too - bummer
Go to Top of Page

Stowaway
Average Member

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  07:02:51 AM  Show Profile
Houselinc upgrades --
I have put this somewhere before but I have not seen any real responses.

If we are tagged with using HouseLink as a continually operating program we really need it to work as a Windows process or from the system tray with autoload when windows starts-up!!!

My wife keeps closing out the HouseLinc window when I am away and she gets on to the computer and then you know who is in trouble!!!
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  10:25:34 AM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
Updatable Firmware! OK, so this one won't really help us early adopters, but it would be great if all devices were required to have updatable firmware. Then if new functionality were added, say the ability to send an on command with a ramp rate I don't have to aroudn and replace all 40 of my switches agian!
Go to Top of Page

gatchel

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  2:50:21 PM  Show Profile
Better brightness control of the LED's on Keypadlincs. On low they are still way too bright.

This should be able to be set like on level or ramp rate.

Edited by - gatchel on 01/24/2007 3:25:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

twomble

20 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  4:03:37 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gatchel

Better brightness control of the LED's on Keypadlincs. On low they are still way too bright.

I vote for this one!! The WAF (wife acceptance factor) is pretty low with the three KPL's I have in our bedroom
Go to Top of Page

Quixote
Average Member

61 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  9:32:50 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gatchel

LEDs are not dimmable.
Go to Top of Page

BritInVA

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  07:13:51 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by deckhardt

We Installers NEED an IR-Bridge.

Recommending Insteon is almost impossible without the IR-Bridge.

This is killing me on installs as almost every single install has a home theater, where the customer wants to push a button on the remote and have everything happen, including lighting.

I don't even care what it looks like, in the vast majority of cases it will go into a wiring closet with the rest of the hardware anyway.

I certainly don't want to rely on a PC to pull it all together as that typically causes unpaid maintenance requirements.

sorry for the double post, CES 2007, but this seemed a more appropriate location.

Dave

I'm one of those HT customers. Agree its a must in a HT environment where everything else is controlled by the remote.

When investigating the lighting the thing that swayed me to Insteon was the flexibility and that I can later extend into a whole house system.....I knew about the lacking IR bridge but as it was on the release list for Q4 2006 so went ahead and used it.

I'm now about a month away from a fully finished HT - except lighting.

Please, Please Smarthome gives us a IR Bridge. Don't care what it looks like as it will just sit in the equipment closet and be controlled by an IR repeater from the main room.

Cheers,
Mark

Edited by - BritInVA on 01/27/2007 07:14:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

niels
Average Member

61 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  2:55:33 PM  Show Profile
My new list:

1. A motion sensor with day/nigh sensor. I would like it to be able to be linked easily to other Insteon devices, and to be able to send commands at dusk, dawn and of course at motion, preferable with different command sets for dusk and dawn. One nice touch would be to have a 'motion detected' command consist of a very simple macro (On, Timeout, Off), with the timeout - off portion on ly fired if the On command actually turned a light on. This would ideally be an indoor / outdoor model. This will let me do automated room lighting and more improtant, motion sensitive security lights. The X10 motion detector problems are getting on my nerves.

2. A dimmer for magnetic transformers. Some of my lights have magnetic transformers that are not easily replaced, I am replacing Leviton magnetic dimmers with Insteon on-off switches. Would be nice to not have to do that.

3. An Insteon enabled thermostat; I have two of the X10 models right now and would like to replace them with Insteon models to gain some reliability.

4. Relay modules that can be used with 240V (single phase) equipment.

5. Keypadlinks with relay output (as opposed to dimmer output) so that a KPL can be used to control fluorescent tubes as the local load.

6. KPL on which LEDs can be turned Off. They are VERY VERY bright. (I imagine this can be done with a firmware upgrade?)

7. Updated HouseLinc software that will allow for timers and events to control the indicators on KPLs

8. The (announced) remote, but hopefully also an interface that will let me send IR commands and control Insteon devices. It would be very handy to be able to use a universal remote to control lights etc.

9. A smaller stand-alone keypad device. Something compact, easy to use, and easy to look at. Maybe about 20 buttons (toggles) with lighted indicators would be nice.

10. (Already annouced) Drapery controllers / blind controllers. Would be nice to have this integration piece so a single button on a KPL can be used to with one push turn down the heat, turn off the lights and close the blinds and shades. (...and lock the deadbolts, turn on the alarm system...:) )

Many years ago I started putting in X10, and I gave up since I could not get it to work reliably. Insteon is working well enough to actually follow through on getting everything automated... With 35 devices installed (and many more to go) I could not be happier.

Grear job everyone at SmartLabs et all... Keep at it!

Niels.
Go to Top of Page

w4wn
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  4:05:16 PM  Show Profile
This should be an easy one: How about a pack of several of the same color KeypadLinc lenses so we don't have to spend 6 bucks to get one color we want.... I've got 12 Keypads which I'd like to change to Blue, that's $72!!
Go to Top of Page

matthew999

30 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  5:51:51 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by w4wn

This should be an easy one: How about a pack of several of the same color KeypadLinc lenses so we don't have to spend 6 bucks to get one color we want.... I've got 12 Keypads which I'd like to change to Blue, that's $72!!

Off topic I know.
I find this curious as well. In the intermin
you could set up a thread offering to sell the
other colours you do not want. I'm sure
someone would want something different.
Go to Top of Page

cmhardwick

377 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  05:44:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit cmhardwick's Homepage
They did the same thing initially with the light pipe color change kits for the switchlincs. Multi color initially to see how they sell, probably. Hopefully soon they'll have the individual color kits for the keypads like they have for the switchlincs now.

Cicero
New to home auto and driving my wife CRAZY!! (well, not new to driving her crazy, but you know what I mean)
Go to Top of Page

greensha

38 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  07:42:45 AM  Show Profile
I'm waiting for dimmable outlets. The lamplinc thingies are just too bulky.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8594 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  07:52:43 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by greensha

I'm waiting for dimmable outlets. The lamplinc thingies are just too bulky.

You'll be waiting a while, because I don't think you can even build such a thing compliant with National Electric Code.
Go to Top of Page

cmhardwick

377 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  12:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit cmhardwick's Homepage
Exactly. There's nothing to keep someone from plugging in say a vacuum cleaner into the outlet. I WOULD like to see switchable outlets though, with choice of only 1 outlet switched or both. And if both, separately addressable. Hey, I can dream!

Cicero
New to home auto and driving my wife CRAZY!! (well, not new to driving her crazy, but you know what I mean)
Go to Top of Page

rhughes
Average Member

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  3:45:46 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I actually had a housekeeper unplug the lamp from the controlled outlet in a LampLinc and plug a vacuum into it. Of course, I had to replace the LampLinc. Who would've thunk?
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8594 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  8:03:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rhughes

Yeah, I actually had a housekeeper unplug the lamp from the controlled outlet in a LampLinc and plug a vacuum into it. Of course, I had to replace the LampLinc. Who would've thunk?

Bummer. Wouldn't have been a problem if they'd just used the pass-through outlet.
Go to Top of Page

fgarriel

USA
240 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  11:18:29 AM  Show Profile  Send fgarriel an AOL message
quote:

Divorce her! ;)

Expanding my INSTEON / HA from 1 room & 2 switches to 1 floor and 10 switches
Go to Top of Page

HighTest

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  4:36:07 PM  Show Profile
You fire housekeepers ;)
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  09:47:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike's Homepage  Send mike an AOL message
Reminder to please stay on topic.

SmartLabsMike
INSTEON - Linking Everything to Everything Else.
http://www.insteon.net
Go to Top of Page

cmhardwick

377 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  11:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit cmhardwick's Homepage
You're not saying the thread has drifted are you, Mike?

Cicero
Go to Top of Page

greensha

38 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  12:38:19 PM  Show Profile
I would like to add my vote for switchable/dimmable outlets. I'm holding off on my next purchase of Insteon kit until these are available. I'm guessing that the hold up is that it's hard to make the modules fit in the outlet box.
Go to Top of Page

mteator

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  1:53:17 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, that's not correct. A dimmable receptacle is perfectly legal under the NEC if it's made for that use.

Lutron has one, here is a PDF for it. http://www.lutron.com/applicationnotes/048085b.pdf

Edit: the original person that stated dimmable receptacles were illegal deleted his/her post, so this may look out of context.

~Michael

Edited by - mteator on 02/08/2007 1:47:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8594 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  2:06:01 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mteator

Sorry, that's not correct. A dimmable receptacle is perfectly legal under the NEC if it's made for that use.

Lutron has one, here is a PDF for it. http://www.lutron.com/applicationnotes/048085b.pdf

I'll gladly rephrase to clarify. A dimmable 'standard' outlet is dangerous and illegal.

As the Lutron document points out, that unit is anything but 'standard'. It is restricted to comply with NEC, it must be used in conjunction with a separate wall-mounted unit, and it requires lamps to use special, non-standard plugs to prevent appliances from being plugged into it.

Everybody who wants to re-wire their lamps so they'll work with a non-standard outlet raise your hands. How is that in any way an improvement over a plug-in-and-it-works LampLinc?
Go to Top of Page

mteator

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  6:09:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Everybody who wants to re-wire their lamps so they'll work with a non-standard outlet raise your hands. How is that in any way an improvement over a plug-in-and-it-works LampLinc?

I'm sorry, I didn't know this forum was to poke fun of people who want a certain feature or product.

lamplincs and appliancelincs are ugly wall warts to those of us that want a clean integrated look.

~Michael

Edited by - mteator on 02/08/2007 6:12:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

sloop
Advanced Member

USA
574 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  10:54:00 PM  Show Profile
i agree - pretty counts in women and wall receptacles

if that outlet were x10 (or insteon), i'd gladly swap a plug on a lamp - unless the plug was the size of a lamplinc

i'd like to be able to enter x10 addresses assigned to keypadlinc buttons in houselinc
Go to Top of Page

kenm

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  04:34:26 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

quote:

Bummer. Wouldn't have been a problem if they'd just used the pass-through outlet.

A 'non standard' outlet for dimmers sure makes sense to me.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

mteator

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  04:48:56 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately the Lutron outlets are only UL Listed for use with Lutron dimmers. While they would technically work with say, a Switchlinc dimmer, it wouldn't be certified by a recognized standards lab so it still wouldn't be NEC compliant. Smarthome sure could come up with their own outlet though.

~Michael
Go to Top of Page

greensha

38 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  2:38:56 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

I'll raise my hand. It would take me all of 5 minutes to rewire the three lamps I want controlled by a dimmable outlet. Looking at the Lutron page it seems that the rewired lamps could still be used in conventional outlets.

How is it an improvement over the LampLinc? Well, I don't have to put a big gumby looking white thing on my wall. I can also use the socket to place a lamp on a table that is close to the wall. If I had to use the LampLinc the table would have to be offset from the wall several inches to make room.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page