Insteon Product/Module Requests [?]
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  12:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
I think this is why they created the SocketLinc.......

Please at least make switchable outlets.... I don't care about dimmable ones.....
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  08:08:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike's Homepage  Send mike an AOL message
Thanks for the suggestions.

SmartLabsMike
INSTEON - Linking Everything to Everything Else.
http://www.insteon.net
Go to Top of Page

burntcrispy
Average Member

133 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  06:41:22 AM  Show Profile
I am also waiting for controlled outlets.

Relay is higher priority for me, but I would also like dimmable ones, a non-standard outlet will be okay with me as long as it is 1/2 the outlet, it is easy to get plugs ,and one should be included.

Something else I would like to see is a dual lamplinc, I am controlling two strings of low wattage lights in more than one spot, and currently using two dimmer modules stacked for independent control, sometimes I also add a applinc for transformers; you should see the stacks I have around my house .

Disclaimer: I wouldn't stack near this many modules if I was using higher wattage but as it is I am using less than 25 watts per module.

On yea, still waiting on remotes, motion sensors, and ... controlled outlets (go figure).
Go to Top of Page

Calox

19 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  09:34:24 AM  Show Profile
I can't for the life of me figure out what's taking so long for the motion sensors! They've had the X10 equivalent for years!

The whole reason I chose Insteon instead of the other guys is because it's an inherently secure network (i.e. punk kid prankster next door can't turn my lights on and off by setting his motion sensor to my house code, like he can with X10). Putting any X10 components in my system defeats the purpose of the secure network.

Perhaps I'm a little paranoid, but Insteon puts my mind at ease...come on guys, show us the sensors already!
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  10:08:28 AM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Calox

I can't for the life of me figure out what's taking so long for the motion sensors! They've had the X10 equivalent for years!

The whole reason I chose Insteon instead of the other guys is because it's an inherently secure network (i.e. punk kid prankster next door can't turn my lights on and off by setting his motion sensor to my house code, like he can with X10). Putting any X10 components in my system defeats the purpose of the secure network.

Perhaps I'm a little paranoid, but Insteon puts my mind at ease...come on guys, show us the sensors already!

Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  10:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
Technical problem with previous post.....

Anyway, I know that Smartlabs traditionally only did lighting control. But, that is when they did not own the technology! Come on guys, if your partners will not step up and make devices you have to! Or else this great technology will go by the way side.

Socketlinc has been on pre-order for months, what takes so darn long to bring something to market? None of this stuff is revolutionary. Someone like Smartlabs should be able to bring a new product to the market very quickly. I just don't understand. Unless there is something fundamentally wrong with the technology they don't want to advertise.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  11:14:21 AM  Show Profile
I don't have any insider information here, but the potential barriers I envision in getting a new product to market include:

-- Difficulty in hiring experienced hardware designers;

-- Difficulty finding enough skilled embedded device programmers (C programmers are a dime a dozen, but someone who can perform miracles using assembly code and only 64 kilobytes? Priceless!);

-- Big $$$/big client projects outside the public eye monopolizing resources (chain stores generally require large stocks before committing to opening shelf space; there was talk of a utility company wanting to use Insteon in devices numbering in the hundreds of thousands);

-- Difficulty scheduling lot jobs in shared manufacturing facilities;

-- Shipping delays;

-- Delays in getting regulatory approvals (how long does ETL take, anyway?);

Some processes can be sped along with large infusions of cash (hiring expensive new or temporary talent, paying rush fees to bump yourself to the front of the line, shipping via air instead of ship, etc.), but you have fewer resources with which to work if you've positioned yourself as the "value" product in a category. But that lower price point is what will turn home automation from a nerdy, niche product into a middle-class "must have."

Be patient. This is a journey, not a race!

Tom
Go to Top of Page

cmhardwick

377 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  12:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit cmhardwick's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

Tom

Silly silly Tom ... don't you know this is the age of "I want it now, I need it now, I have to have it now!!!"

Cicero
New to home auto and driving my wife CRAZY!! (well, not new to driving her crazy, but you know what I mean)
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  3:17:48 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cmhardwick

quote:

Tom

Silly silly Tom ... don't you know this is the age of "I want it now, I need it now, I have to have it now!!!"

I was like that once, too. Then I turned 3.
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1114 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  1:11:43 PM  Show Profile
How about an equivalent for the X-10 maxi-controller. A many-button tabletop controller, primarily to trigger macros...
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  1:48:52 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw_00

How about an equivalent for the X-10 maxi-controller. A many-button tabletop controller, primarily to trigger macros...

I'd like to see more options for a plug-in controller, too. At least a double-wide pedestal mount, so we could build a 16 button controller by mounting two KeypadLincs side-by-side.

(Of course, right now it is also possible to use the ControLinc to command many more than the default five scenes if you use it with HouseLinc to trigger events, but that's a messier way to do it.)

Go to Top of Page

George7g
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  4:55:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

quote:

Tom

Yeah, patient of co
Go to Top of Page

George7g
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  5:02:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

quote:

Tom

Yeah, patient of course. But SmartLabs are promising new stuff for at least 14 (yes, fourteen!) months!!! Such a simple thing as Insteon RF PalmPad. Go ahead and check the early pages on new products in this forum.

An now get this, not only they failed to deliver whatever they promised, they just raised the Insteon prices recently on almost everything.

Can't wait for Zigbee technology which is picking up really fast. Forget Insteon, it is dead, killed by Smartlabs and their empty promises. I'll bet we won't get any new products for at least another year.

sad George

Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8595 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  10:04:45 AM  Show Profile
I've heard all the gloom and doom before. No products in the last 14 months?
Don't HouseLinc, the In-Line Linc Dimmers and Relays or the ToggleLinc
Dimmers or Relays count?

(Anybody remember all the predictions of doom when link software was delayed?
Now how many software packages support Insteon? HouseLinc, HAL, HomeSeer,
mControl, Girder, PowerHome, Indigo, ILink, ECS and more!)

George, you can tell me how good Zigbee is when someone actually starts
shipping a product. ANY product, let alone one with as many features for a
similar price! And next time, please put it in its own topic rather than under
the Insteon Product/Module Requests headline.

Tom

(Edited only to fit screen)

Edited by - Tfitzpatri8 on 02/25/2007 2:06:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

George7g
Starting Member

10 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  11:52:23 AM  Show Profile
quote:

I've heard all the gloom and doom before. No products in the last 14 months? Don't HouseLinc, the In-Line Linc Dimmers and Relays or the ToggleLinc Dimmers or Relays count?

(Anybody remember all the predictions of doom when link software was delayed? Now how many software packages support Insteon? HouseLinc, HAL, HomeSeer, mControl, Girder, PowerHome, Indigo, ILink, ECS and more!)

George, you can tell me how good Zigbee is when someone actually starts shipping a product. ANY product, let alone one with as many features for a similar price! And next time, please put it in its own topic rather than under the Insteon Product/Module Requests headline.

Tom

Hello Tom,

I beg your pardon, but I AM TALKING STRICTLY INSTEON PRODUCTS, the new, promised ones for that matter. That's why my post belongs here.

If my memory serves me well, I made at least three wish posts myself to at least three different threads regarding new Insteon products in last year and half. Look for all those wished products NUMBER OF US are putting on these "request" forum topics. And what do we get? ...this quarter, oh next quarter, oh next year, oh when we are ready, etc....

You cannot run sustained business this way. Do not tell me that is such a big R&D undertaking to take your corded desktop module and modify it to make it PalmPad RF. Even FCC certification works much faster.

Just read the new Insteon products related posts from many of us and see for yourself how many folks SmartLabs got p-off over last 18 months. Every good manufacturer puts up a roadmap so users can plan ahead. I am putting off my switchover from x10 until basic Insteon convenience modules are available (RF Palmapd and to-be-built-in receptacles). Until then, no one is interested except early adopters.

Sincerely, George

PS: No, and you do not fool us by removing old Insteon link from Smarthome home page and creating new separate Insteon pages. And what about increased prices? And what about the fact that Home Depot website http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0170692638.1172432965@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciaddkfgmijfmcgelceffdfgidgln.0&MID=9876 lists two thirds (14 out of 21) of the Insteon components as "temporarily unavailable"? Something fishy here.
Go to Top of Page

Just Another Joe

Canada
219 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2007 :  5:01:13 PM  Show Profile
quote:

(Edited only to fit screen)

Thanks. Makes it much easier to read.

Not your fault, nor the fault of the poster of the long link. But, you'd think
with the power available on the forum servers, the forum software would
be smart enough to re-wrap! A lot of forums display this fault, but some
actually get it right.

Me? I'm just another Joe.
Symmetry, synergy, synchronicity, serendipity.
Why be politically correct, when you can be right?
Go to Top of Page

GraysonPeddie

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  8:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Click to see GraysonPeddie's MSN Messenger address
For me, I'd like to see motion sensors built-into a lamplinc module.

For future Insteon products, I'd like a timer and macros built-in to every module, like lamplincs, appliancelincs, keypadlincs, switchlincs, relays, etc. rather than having a central timer (although still needed to be programmed via a USB/Ethernet interface via PC). Would this be possible through RF?

I'd like Insteon version of keychain keypad like the one in X10. It has to be really small and it has to have a hole that fits through a keyring. For security reasons, I don't like house/unit codes...

Last, but not least, a temp sensor that doesn't rely on house and unit code. I don't care for the thermostat as I can't install my own thermostat in an apartment (can't wait to own a house but I'm in the first semester of college). It's nice to check the temperature without that much of a complication with the use of house and unit codes...

Using Vista Business for webserver until I get WS08 Web Edition.
Proud-owner of PLM!

I'm a computer programmer (Visual Studio 2005 with C#/ASP.net/SQL Server 2005 Express).
Go to Top of Page

deadFX
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  10:30:01 PM  Show Profile
I bought many Insteon switches and outlets about 12-14 months ago. So far I have been very impressed by the reliability, however, I am getting tired of waiting for wireless controllers and motion detectors. I have tried using my X10 equipement, but I just can't get consistent results(which is why I switched in the firrst place). Has anyone heard of any new product announcements or rumors of new products, dates, etc.? I thought we would have seen some announcements during CES. I am getting to the point where I might consider ripping my equipment out and replacing with zwave. I hope I do not have to, but I am losing patience. My wish list in order or priority

- Wireless Remotes (preferably some Harmony Remote Compatability, so this could an IR bridge, but I would like to see both)
- Wireless Motion Detectors
- Security Cameras
- Thermostats
Go to Top of Page

Stowaway
Average Member

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  7:25:07 PM  Show Profile
Like others I have asked for Insteon controlled outlets to be created. Besides the unsightly nature of the large size of the plug-in modules the reason I want an alternative is I have forced hot water baseboard heaters that limit where I can use the standard plug-in modules to control lights etc. To get clearance the current module must be plugged into the top outlet and therefore takes up both outlets.

In an effort to keep this request alive I would offer that a "Low-Profile" alternative would be more acceptable than the current devices. With miniaturization, I believe that a much smaller package is possible. The plug-in for the controlled power supply could be in direct line with the plug orientation. The entire "box" should be small enough to be unobtrusive to the eye or for interference with furniture etc.

And yes, I still want all of the wireless devices and motion detectors............
Go to Top of Page

mdrejhon

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  7:39:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit mdrejhon's Homepage
quote:
I have tried using my X10 equipement, but I just can't get consistent results
One idea is to use an X10 radio receiver with a PowerLinc. Use software to convert X10 signals into Insteon signals. This 100% completely bypasses X10 reliability issues. (You can even use a X10 "subnet" -- i.e. put these modules on a power bar filtered from the rest of the house wiring)

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon -- www.marky.com
Go to Top of Page

mdrejhon

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  7:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit mdrejhon's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by mdrejhon

quote:
I have tried using my X10 equipement, but I just can't get consistent results
One idea is to use an X10 radio receiver with a PowerLinc. Use software to convert X10 signals into Insteon signals. This 100% completely bypasses X10 reliability issues. (You can even use a X10 "subnet" -- i.e. put these modules on a power bar filtered from the rest of the house wiring)

Forgot to mention, this assumes you're using two computer controller modules (such as combining a CM11A and a PowerLinc.), as well as software such as HomeSeer. However, it probably won't be necessary to subnet the X10 signals separately from your house wiring.

Personally, I managed to get a very reliable X10 system running. You do want an amplifying phase coupler, BoosterLinc's, and several plug-in noise filters (the latter is very important)

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon -- www.marky.com
Go to Top of Page

AD8BC

309 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  4:59:27 PM  Show Profile
Probably already listed but I'm too lazy to go back through 16 pages of posts...

How about KeypadLincs without local dimmers? I can think of many applications where all you want is a nice control panel mounted in the wall where you don't have an actual dimmer... and even though you can cap off the load on the KeypadLinc dimmer output it seems to be a waste.

Also, somebody mentioned the ability to move the local load from the top or upper left button to any button (or none at all). I like this idea too.
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  06:31:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
I second the keypadlic with no local control. I have three and none of them use the local control. I also like the desktop shell SM now sells, but $70 is a tough sell for a table top controler.
Go to Top of Page

instaman
Average Member

149 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  03:19:53 AM  Show Profile
"Danger, Danger Will Robinson,...5 year old in the vacinity!" Let's make one thing clear. Fortunately, safety is T-O-P priority in any application. That being said, if insteon created a "Outletlinc Relay" (which could'nt suffer from a vacuum cleaner connection), then some "Teckie" would probably say to himself, "I'll just conveniently hit the switch on THE WALL to stop my vacuum and unjam it". Now,...enter the 5 year old in your master bedroom playing with the Controlincs All ON button. Well needless to say, "Hope you finished getting that jam lefty". Get the picture. These are the dilemmas the design engineers/companies have to face everyday. And yes, an appliancelinc could do the same thing, but we all know that's NOT what it was designed for. I think you guys post are brilliant and very intelligent. I'm not being mean spirited, just keep in mind some companies don't care about such things and while others, do :-)

Edited by - instaman on 03/17/2007 04:07:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

instaman
Average Member

149 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  03:42:26 AM  Show Profile
Maybe it's true that by popular vote, the lamplinc dimmer isn't so attractive. I believe it was called a wall-wart. But like alot of you, I would love to see an IR device to control a HT, and wouldn't that wall-wart make a cool one. You could place it on any wall visible to your remote, and it could send the insteon commands straight into the wiring. The unit would have an IR window in place of the outlet connection on the front, one that filters plasma screen interference like some IR repeaters i've seen smarthome carry, "don't cheapen us out now Insteon". Since most remotes already can send X10 commands, it would convert a single X10 send into triggering a scene set-up, maybe holding 5 scenes in it's memory for the lights in that room. I'm sure there's enough room in that box to do that. Hands up?

PS. I know about the "Infrared X10 Command Console", i have one. It works, just not as convenient to place nor can it adjust the lights under a single command. "OK,...I'M SPOILED!" Geez.
Go to Top of Page

instaman
Average Member

149 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  04:05:29 AM  Show Profile
I haven't seen it requested yet, "ok,... so i've only gone back about 5 pages, forgive me". Where is that great car remote i've been looking for. I know it's funny because alot of you guys have thought the same thing i've thought, "you got Signalincs w/ antennas, what's the problem". Yes, i understand that a simple transmitter would inherently turn on your neighbors lights too. But what if you used the same insteon technology that insures each device is individually unique to only your system when it's programmed in your house. Include that in the transmission of the signal and/or , and I hate to say it "NEW Signalincs" if necessary, and that might resolve the issue,...I guess?

Edited by - instaman on 03/17/2007 04:40:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

bcmayes
Average Member

100 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2007 :  11:01:09 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by instaman

"Danger, Danger Will Robinson,...5 year old in the vacinity!" Let's make one thing clear. Fortunately, safety is T-O-P priority in any application. That being said, if insteon created a "Outletlinc Relay" (which could'nt suffer from a vacuum cleaner connection), then some "Teckie" would probably say to himself, "I'll just conveniently hit the switch on THE WALL to stop my vacuum and unjam it". Now,...enter the 5 year old in your master bedroom playing with the Controlincs All ON button. Well needless to say, "Hope you finished getting that jam lefty". Get the picture. These are the dilemmas the design engineers/companies have to face everyday. And yes, an appliancelinc could do the same thing, but we all know that's NOT what it was designed for.

That's a lot of "ifs" there that could happen. A person with small children could also exercise some common sense and keep things out of reach that children shouldn't play with. Who here still keeps cleaners under the sink?

And remember, the ControLinc V2's "All On" button only turns on all linked devices (it doesn't send a true "All Lights On"). That would mean one would have to have consciously linked the outlet to the ControLinc. I, for one, wouldn't do that with an open outlet and if something is plugged in continuously I'm probably not unplugging it just to run a vacuum.

I imagine that an "OutletLinc" would behave like an ApplianceLinc and thus would not respond to a true "All On" command.

People plug heaters, fans, coffee makers, and other devices which could be dangerous if activated at the wrong time into ApplianceLincs. You even run the risk of burn or shock if someone activates a light fixture while you're changing the bulb (with INSTEON or otherwise).

Smartlabs does have to keep its products safe, but not making a product with well-established demand just because someone might use it incorrectly? That would be the death of capitalism (including the good parts).

Byron
Go to Top of Page

Stowaway
Average Member

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  04:16:13 AM  Show Profile
Well stated Byron!
It is too bad that the lawyers have the power to re-develop products or even remove products from the market because of fear of litigation.
All for the lack of personal responsibility!
Go to Top of Page

sweezy
Starting Member

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  10:00:27 AM  Show Profile
I know this has been requested before, however I figure I would toss it in here again. Many of the jobs I'm providing quotes for want to use CFL bulbs and usually non dimmable ones. A Relay KPL would be great.

While I can setup their buttons to have a ramp rate of 0.1 seconds (virtually ON/OFF) and I have not destroyed a CFL yet using that ramp rate, I fear that a customer might hold down a button on the KPL too long and start to try and dim a non dimmable CFL by mistake, which will surely result in the CFL no longer functioning.
Go to Top of Page

Chuster
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  2:07:39 PM  Show Profile
It would be nice to see a thin, simple, and small RF module to control just a couple of devices. I have a number of bed-side lamps on Lamplinc modules that are controlled by keypadlincs at the room's entrances. The problem is if I'm in bed and I'd like to turn on a lamp, I either have to go to the keypadlinc or just use the lamp switch (thereby bypassing the insteon module's functionality). If a small transmitter can be placed near the light/device/appliance it controls, it would be much better than installing keypadlincs, paying an electrician to install switches with neutral wires for switchlincs, or piling controlinc behemoths all over my tables. A small controller that can be attached to a fixed base or removed for handheld use would work, especially if it can control 2 seperate devices (the local lamp for one button and another lamp or group).Here's what I propose:

A small transmitter (no larger than 1.5" x 3" x 0.5"in WHD) that sits on a base that the transmitter could be removed from would be ideal. The base can resemble those found on a wireless CADDX door/window transmitter, allowing it to snap on and off of the base. Ideally, though, magnetic would be perfect. The base can be attached using small screws or double-sided tape. It can function on CR-style batteries, but preferably make them rechargable if they won't last at least 6 months of normal use. The charging base can have an indentation similar to the one found on the transmitter's base, but with 2 contacts that touch the transmitter's contacts when a transmitter is rested on it (think cordless phone bases). If you do make them rechargable, they should include a lighting mechanism to illuminate the pad if touched within a couple of minutes. The transmitter's rim could be metallic and sensitive to touch to illuminate the pad before use. At the very least, include a raised button that can be easily located to illuminate it before use.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page