New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

GraysonPeddie

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  12:37:45 AM  Show Profile  Click to see GraysonPeddie's MSN Messenger address
Knock sensors -- I hope companies would develop knock sensors for Insteon -- but it's got to have something that doesn't damage paint like a double-sided foam tape.

I've purchased the knock sensor (that uses X10's house code) before it's discontinued:
https://www.smarthome.com/5084.html

I will just use it when it gets delivered until SmartLabs (or any other manufacturers) develops knock sensors but have an "audio notifier" as an optional receiver -- I have a couple of lamplincs that I can link with the knock sensor.

Using Vista Business for webserver until I get WS08 Web Edition.
Proud-owner of PLM!

I'm a computer programmer (Visual Studio 2005 with C#/ASP.net/SQL Server 2005 Express).
Go to Top of Page

traviskleckner

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  07:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Send traviskleckner an ICQ Message
I'd like to see a lamp module that has local control.

Maybe something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1521970143.1174918993@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccaddkhlmkkkhcgelceffdfgidglo.0&MID=9876

It sure would be nice to be able to control my bedside/couch lamps with something local (other than having a big wired 10 button remote next to each one).

In an ideal world, I like it to be a module that I could integrate into the lamp so that the switch on the lamp would control the on/off of the lamp. Maybe a product like the existing lamp link, but with a small jack to allow local control? Perhaps an 1/8 stereo jack that you can use to imitate the local controls on a switchlink?
Go to Top of Page

Stowaway
Average Member

USA
143 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  04:29:50 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Maybe something like this: link
Link goes to a search page with no lamp modules????

Edited by - Stowaway on 04/14/2007 1:38:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sean P Logue
Average Member

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  06:24:42 AM  Show Profile
How about a bluetooth link to the Powerlinc in addition to the existing USB cable? That would allow controlling it from a laptop without wires.

"If you can't win, change the rules."
Go to Top of Page

ichiphead
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2007 :  11:04:29 AM  Show Profile
I have just installed Insteon on every light in the house, and so I've been thinking... Since you can only bend an electrical wire 5 or 10 times (or so) before it will break, it would be nice if there was a way to replace or upgrade an Insteon switch without bending the house's precious electrical wiring that -will- eventually break. (A very expensive headache) So here's the idea, you design the Insteon switches so that they are "modular" or "pluggable". A box or shell connects to the electrical wiring semi-permanently with wirenuts, and the actual switch mechanism plugs into the shell so that you can replace or upgrade the light switch without touching the electrical. There you go! You future proof the house, and save us all from buggering up our electrical. Also, even if you release new switches that are better than the ones I already have, I will have to weigh the benefit against the risk of damaging my electrical, whereas if they were designed where I could remove the switch mechanism without touching the electrical, I could upgrade switches anytime something new came out. Think of the money you could make!

..or does anyone know of another way to solve this problem?

mControl 2.1, Insteon, EZIO, EZRain, Venstar, DCS 5300g, ISY, ELK M1G loaded, VMC, WHS, X-Box, Harmony 880
Go to Top of Page

kurelgyer

38 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  09:26:21 AM  Show Profile
Wonder how the Smarthome branded RF products are coming. Another quarter is slipping past.
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  1:43:24 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
Forget RF, I'm wondering how they are comming along with ANY of their products? On November 8th they issued a press release stating that they recieved an award from the CES 2007 board for the SocketLinc.

http://www.smarthome.com/pr06-28.html

It has been on their web site for "pre order" for months and the expected date keeps slipping. It is now stated as 5/7/2007. Last month it was stated as EOM. Is this thing ever going to be available?

It better be soon otherwise CES will revoke their award :) From the press release:

"Products entered into Innovations 2007 must be available to market to U.S. retail outlets or on the company website between January 1, 2006, and June 30, 2007"

I saw a working version of their RF remote at CES in Jan. Where is it? I saw a working version of a Somfy shade control. Where is it?
Where is anything, but increased prices? Those seem to be around ;)

Don't get me wrong, I have been a SH fan and customer for years. I love the insteon technology. I'm really loosing faith fast on their ability to execute though.

Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
8604 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  2:34:35 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by chadg

Forget RF, I'm wondering how they are comming along with ANY of their products? On November 8th they issued a press release stating that they recieved an award from the CES 2007 board for the SocketLinc.

It has been on their web site for "pre order" for months and the expected date keeps slipping. It is now stated as 5/7/2007. Last month it was stated as EOM. Is this thing ever going to be available?

It has been available, it has been shipping, but is now sold out and they are awaiting a new shipment from the factory. Just a temporary mismatch between supply & demand.
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  7:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
Well, must have been a pretty big oversight. I wonder how many were actualy sold? I was wating to get a few and it went from "pre-order" to "estimated ship xx/xx/xx" between times I looked for it. Must of happened in a blink of an eye.

Still does not give much confidence in way of execution. I still have hopes that all of a sudden things will kick in full gear and it will be wonderful!
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

USA
1131 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  09:35:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike's Homepage  Send mike an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by chadg

It better be soon otherwise CES will revoke their award :) From the press release:

"Products entered into Innovations 2007 must be available to market to U.S. retail outlets or on the company website between January 1, 2006, and June 30, 2007"

I saw a working version of their RF remote at CES in Jan. Where is it? I saw a working version of a Somfy shade control. Where is it?
Where is anything, but increased prices? Those seem to be around ;)

Don't get me wrong, I have been a SH fan and customer for years. I love the insteon technology. I'm really loosing faith fast on their ability to execute though.

We had so many on pre-order we sold through our first shipment and have been waiting for the second shipment. I have confirmation it should be here the first week in May so all new backorders will ship then.

Hope this helps.

SmartLabsMike
INSTEON - Linking Everything to Everything Else.
http://www.insteon.net
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  09:43:11 AM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
Good to know, thanks Mike. I'll get my order in now....
Go to Top of Page

doorknob
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  7:26:54 PM  Show Profile
I had thought that there was going to be an IR bridge product released at the end of 2006? (Translate IR signals into insteon transmissions?)

I've got a home theater room that is in desperate need for this device. I keep installing Boosterlincs in an effort to actually get my X10 stuff to work reliably, but at $90 a pop, I'd REALLY love to just eliminate X10 altogether, and this is the last piece I need.

Any update would be appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Erock
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  1:10:05 PM  Show Profile
Confused on RemoteLinc?

I received a SmartHome catalog and the back page is all about the RemoteLinc. In features it says, "Works with Legacy X10 Products". It says that any of the six channels can be assigned X10 addresses enabling RemoteLinc to bridge Insteon & X10. The RemoteLinc product info. on the SmartHome web site clearly says in BOLD: "The remoteLinc is not X10 compatible. Additionally, in the detailed specs, X10 isn't listed.

What's correct?

Edited by - Erock on 05/07/2007 1:10:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

heatvent
Average Member

65 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  11:21:47 AM  Show Profile
I have the following requests:

* A switch that is capable of turning on/off more than 1 load. I have an older home with single gang boxes, many of which with 2 or 3 switches in each box. I'm not a big fan of direcly hooking up the lights and using a socet rocket - I think there should be a switch somewhere.
* Bring back a 2-wire switch. Again, older home. I ran neutrals to most of the switches where needed. However, there are still a few that I can't run a neutral to (added at some point with Romex, not conduit). I am currently using X10 switches for those, but the reliability is iffy since the insteon switches have degraded my signal. It would be nice to go all insteon.
* Cheaper plug-in modules ($45 for socket rockets is a little rich)
* Upgrade of Desktop - features to add: make it more graphical, add ability to download timers/macros to the 2414U controller, add internet access support (it's a great thing to turn lights on/off from a remote location - I currently use activehome for this)
* Better looking remote than what you just came out with - I would send this back to the design drawing board
* Finally, it would be awesome to have a switch capable of controlling a ceiling fan motor - or at the very least, a dimmable switch when full on, does not make the ceiling fan hum.

Thanks

Edited by - heatvent on 05/14/2007 11:28:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

jcthorne
Average Member

102 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  08:12:45 AM  Show Profile
Are the Keypadlink Relay and the IR bridge products still in the pipeline or have they been dropped. Both of these had been promised some time ago and have not heard anything on them in a very long time.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

heatvent
Average Member

65 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  5:42:51 PM  Show Profile
Integrated/compatible security system. I have the X10 DS7000 and I think one of the best features is being able to flash the lights when the alarm goes off.
Go to Top of Page

Mdcastle
Average Member

145 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  07:50:54 AM  Show Profile
I'm new here, but I've been using X10 for some time. I started with PCS scenemaster switches and generic X10 modules, then started buying X10 switchlincs and am just getting started in Insteon. Here is my list of what would be nice.

1) A garage door interface, so you could control your garage door and see the status from a switchlinc or keypadlinc button in the house. Of course it could send a standard insteon signal so your garage lights could come on when the door opens.

2.) A way of controlling low voltage landscape lighting. Smarthome probably doesn't want to get into making complete powerpacks, but wired in receptacle module or something like Black and Decker sells in X10: a short weatherproof cord with a module built in.

3.) A powerstrip with a right angle plug and decent surge protector and a built in filterlinc, for ease of plugging in computer equipment when the plug is behind your desk. One outlet would not be filtered so you could plug in a module for your desk lamp, optionally a lamplinc module with inductive load capability could also be built in.

4.) The much talked about IR bridge

5.) The much talked about wired in signal bridge / repeater. Ideally it would do X10 too for legacy devices. A pair of those signalincs is a rather clumsy way of doing this. A module that plugs into an electric dryer or electric range receptacle isn't where it should be by the breaker box, and not everying has an a suitable receptacle.

6.) Different placement and colors of the LEDs. The LED should be centered on top of a switchlinc because that's where you need to press when entering a dark room (or could the whole paddle be backlit.) The desktop controller should have backlit buttons, or at least an LED centered over the on buttons.

I'd also go with a different color, as I've not had favorable experiences with the long term reliablity of blue LEDs, and white ones are more or less the same technology. Replacing an LED in a module every few years would suck. Red would be noticable during the day and not interfere with night vision, green would be more soothing and coordinate with legacy products. I have a couple of PCS smartswitches where the status LED can light up red, green, or amber to aid in programming, this would be another option and making the color software selectable would be trivial.

7. A cheaper way of doing three-way switches. Two full fledged swithclincs seems unecessarily wasteful and expensive. The idea of a switchlinc without load control has been brought up, and might be useful for other applications. Alternatively, I don't see what was so wrong with the master/slave legacy arangement for legacy products. Granted some places you want a three way switch don't have the wiring, but many places you do.

8.)If necessary to bring in new products, the Icon line could be dropped, as unlike legacy products I don't think the cost difference justifies the feature difference. Formely I bought nothing but "lite" switchlincs, now I only buy the full insteon versions.

9.) Better computer controllers. My understanding is that they are not quite "there" yet as far as downloading timers or macros, so I'm using my old X10 version that refuses to run on my newer Windows X64 system.

10.) A keychain remote. I use my X10 version to trigger macros and scenes as I enter or leave the house, however only 2 of the 6 buttons are usable for that purpose. More flexability in button function would be nice.

11.) If there's a way so Insteon devices don't degrade X10 signals... Would it be easy / possible to have them repeat X10 or would that lead to collsions? What if the repeat feature was selectable?

Edited by - Mdcastle on 05/30/2007 08:16:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

digger
Advanced Member

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  5:23:25 PM  Show Profile
KEYPADlinc RELAYS!!!!!! Ceiling Fan Controllers!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  7:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
Yes, yes, yes.... please ceiling fan control!

Oh, and cheaper no load control keypads and switches.
Go to Top of Page

heatvent
Average Member

65 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  7:57:18 PM  Show Profile
I'm a huge fan of ceiling fan control. Like many people have have 5 fans in my house, only one of which is wired with a separate switch.

I also like # 11 above. Why can't the boosterlinc technology for X10 signals be used in all insteon switches. My X10 system worked flawlessly. I started switching to Insteon because they are a much higher quality switch. However, ever since, the reliability of my X10 system, well, sucks.
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2007 :  05:58:28 AM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
All things being equal.. I would rather see lower cost and smaller size then better x10 compatibility.... I would think any more inclusion of x10 functionality would increase both..
Go to Top of Page

digger
Advanced Member

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  08:03:03 AM  Show Profile
Keypadlincs Ceiling Fan Controls Please
Go to Top of Page

upstatemike
Average Member

188 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  7:51:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mdcastle

6.) Different placement and colors of the LEDs. The LED should be centered on top of a switchlinc because that's where you need to press when entering a dark room (or could the whole paddle be backlit.) The desktop controller should have backlit buttons, or at least an LED centered over the on buttons.

I'd also go with a different color, as I've not had favorable experiences with the long term reliablity of blue LEDs, and white ones are more or less the same technology. Replacing an LED in a module every few years would suck. Red would be noticable during the day and not interfere with night vision, green would be more soothing and coordinate with legacy products. I have a couple of PCS smartswitches where the status LED can light up red, green, or amber to aid in programming, this would be another option and making the color software selectable would be trivial.

7. A cheaper way of doing three-way switches. Two full fledged swithclincs seems unecessarily wasteful and expensive. The idea of a switchlinc without load control has been brought up, and might be useful for other applications. Alternatively, I don't see what was so wrong with the master/slave legacy arangement for legacy products. Granted some places you want a three way switch don't have the wiring, but many places you do.

I very much disagree with 6 and 7. The last thing I want to see in the LED colors would be step back to the previous century where red green and yellow were the only LED colors available.

I also think the 3-way switch strategy is one of the best Insteon design features. Most technologies that use a wired 3-way arrangement tend to come up with a lame slave switch that does not look anything like the main switches and often does not have the same LED indicators on it. Also most other technologies charge as much for their lame slave switches as a full Insteon switch costs so I don't buy the cost effectiveness argument either.
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  8:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
I think we need a bunch of 'no load' switches. Both wired and wireless. I would love a V2 switchlinc that did not control load. It could be cheaper and be a 'slave' switch.

Also, how about we make it wireless and run on batteries! Then when I want a ligth switch, all I need to do is cut a hole in my wall, put in an old work style electrical box and I'm done! The switch could talk wirelessly to an access point and control any light in my house. I love it! When can I expect to order it from SM?
Go to Top of Page

chadg

46 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  8:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Click to see chadg's MSN Messenger address
Oh... I almost forgot one more that I would love.

Can we have a standard switchlinc send to other Ineston groups when I double or tripple tap? One of my Z-wave switches works that way and I love it. I'v gotten homeseer to simulate this, but it is not 100%

Why a Z-wave switch in my wonderful Insteon enviroment? Becuase it is a place were I only have two wires. Z-wave has a switch that does not requre a neutral. So, add that to the Insteon wish list..... A swicthlinc that does not require a neutral!
Go to Top of Page

GraysonPeddie

USA
317 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  06:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Click to see GraysonPeddie's MSN Messenger address
Oh yes! That'd be great for me! A wireless/wired keypadlincs/switchlincs where no load controlling is needed.

This would eliminate the need to buy a KeyPadLinc for 499 and a tabletop back box, which is worth about $120.

Using Vista Business for webserver until I get WS08 Web Edition.
Proud-owner of PLM!

I'm a computer programmer (Visual Studio 2005 with C#/ASP.net/SQL Server 2005 Express).
Go to Top of Page

jhimmel
Average Member

114 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  12:19:09 PM  Show Profile
A number of you have asked for a wired passive phase coupler. It looks like you can cross that off your wishlist. It also does X10.

http://www.smarthome.com/2406h.html

My new access points seem to be doing a good job of bridging phases while providing communication for the remotelincs, so I have no need for the passive coupler. However, I have seen it requested here several times.

While I'm here posting, let me re-iterate my plea for an Insteon "universal module" (low-voltage switching module).

Jim H.
Go to Top of Page

upstatemike
Average Member

188 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  9:53:24 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jhimmel

A number of you have asked for a wired passive phase coupler. It looks like you can cross that off your wishlist. It also does X10.

Jim H.

The 4816H was already centered on the Insteon frequency... what is different about this besides the label (and price)?
Go to Top of Page

jhimmel
Average Member

114 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  04:34:10 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by upstatemike

quote:
Originally posted by jhimmel

Jim H.

The 4816H was already centered on the Insteon frequency... what is different about this besides the label (and price)?

I did not design or engineer either one of them. I have no idea. Maybe you could find out from Smartlabs, but I don't think it will be easy.

Jim H.
Go to Top of Page

jonsmirl

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  9:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonsmirl's Homepage
This is a variation on the traditional IR bridge idea...

I think it would be cool if every Insteon switch had an IR receiver (phototransistor) built in that was hooked up to the light pipe. Any IR signals received would be echoed out in a new Insteon packet without interpretation. The idea is for the switch to do the minimal processing possible in order to receive the IR signal and put it back out as an Insteon packet.

Another simple device watches for these packets and converts them back into IR signals using LEDs.

The PLC could be made smart enough to match on these IR packets and trigger actions based on them.

I'm not sure if the encoding of IR signals into packets can be easily achieved on a universal basis. Linux LIRC uses a few hints to be able to identify the IR signal. These hints are small, ~20 bytes, and could be loaded into the switches if there is room. One hint is needed for each different remote in use. The hints tell the one/zero duty cycle, manufacturer header, etc. Linux LIRC has a database covering many remotes.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2014 SmartLabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page