Cable & Structured Wiring
 Including HA in Remodel Plans
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Assistive Tech Dad
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2015 :  1:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Assistive Tech Dad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am diving at home automation in the next six months and I'm looking for advice so that I can go big from the beginning. I have a child that happens to have a physical disability. We just bought a new home and are going through the design phase of a remodel to make it more accessible. I am looking to bring home automation into the picture as another piece of assistive technology to make the home more accessible. This puts an emphasis on whole home automation. This also is a great opportunity to include home automation requirements into the design of the remodel. I am currently planning on building around the Castle OS (http://www.CastleOS.com) controller and INSTEON devices (for the powerline networking).

Two wiring specific questions:

1. What pre-wiring would you recommend I include in the remodel plans to better prepare a home for upgrading to automation? I am thinking about things like whole house surge protectors, etc.

2. Am I misguided in thinking that the PLN feature of INSTEON devices will significantly reduce my need of hardwiring for automation?

While I have your attention, two general questions if you don't mind:

1. What automation features have had the biggest impact on your lives either positive or negative? Since time is a limiting resource I'm trying to get my head around prioritizing my efforts to make the largest impact early.

2. Any general advice for someone getting ready to start down this path?

Thank you in advance for any tidbits of knowledge you impart that help me in transforming our house into a piece of assistive technology.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page