New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tammy3387
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  10:16:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I have bought a home which is considerably old and we did a little bit of renovation on it. We started of with replacing the aluminium wiring by a team in Orillia. It actually cost me a lot. Can i avail my insurance to get back that lump sum I spent?
Thanks for your time!

stusviews

USA
15600 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  3:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
AFAIK, insurance covers damage, not upgrades. If it did, then you could use your insurance to upgrade your car-not!

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

Banichi

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2015 :  1:02:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Banichi an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Maybe if your insurance company required you to alter the wiring you might have a case to request some compensation but since it sounds like it was completely voluntary I doubt you can get anything.

Though perhaps you can get a better rate on your premium with the upgraded wiring?

From what I understand about the issue, the risks with aluminum wiring wasn't with the wire itself but with the transfer of electricity between the to metal types, (meaning aluminum wires connected to copper wires on newer switches, outlets, fixtures, etc). What I recall is that there can be a heat build up because of the different conductivity of the 2 metals which could lead to fires.

To mitigate that though there are special wire nuts that I think take care of that risk.
Go to Top of Page

Tonia Bond
Starting Member

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2016 :  8:11:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tammy3387,
I am not very sure about the insurance details. I can share an information with you. Check out whether this'll help you out ( http://www.theshockdoctors.ca/blog/insurance-inspections/what-to-expect-when-your-insurance-company-conducts-an-inspection-of-your-home/ ). Hope you'll find it useful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page