Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Energy Saving Solutions
 How to reduce power consumption at garage ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donnabates
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  04:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Power consumed at a commercial garage is usually high. Sometimes the bills freaks me. Iím trying hard to reduce the power consumption but not very effective. I plan to reshape my garage storage[/url] so that more natural light can pass through reducing the power consumption considerably. I am thinking of reshaping the interior and exterior of the garage to give it a fresh look by hiring a interior designing company. I doubt that whether it is a good idea or not. Looking forward to your suggestions. Thank you!

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2015 :  2:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Increasing natural light will certainly save on lighting energy. But, if it's a commercial garage, then it's unlikely that lighting is a major source of power consumed.

What other electrical devices are used in the garage?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

yogasystems
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2015 :  12:14:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogasystems's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe you can share us the details of the garage (size, materials, and possibly the bills!)
Go to Top of Page

AmyRivera
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2016 :  11:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there, I agree that natural lighting will help you or try out big ceiling light.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2316 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2016 :  09:11:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As others have stated there are many things that impact the energy bill and in no specific order: Insulation, Air Exchange per hours, HVAC efficency, lighting, and any other high amperage devices being used.

If this is a automotive shop its not like you can turn off the compressor when its under use. The only recourse is to increase the size of the holding tank which will reduce the amount of on time. If (Human) wants to stay toasty warm at 75'F during the dead of winter and the GDO bay doors are constantly being open.

There isn't anything you can do besides hurry the guy who's driving the car into the shop to move as quick as possible.

But as I stated up top this basic scenario impacts air exchanges per hour. You simply can't expect your heating bill to be low if a busy place of business is always opening / closing the bay doors.

The list is endless but the basics have been provided which anyone should really consider.

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro
Go to Top of Page

KennethMan
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2016 :  01:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit KennethMan's Homepage  Send KennethMan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Decrease the standby power consumption of the other components in the appliance. Because the standby power consumption of the low-voltage power supply is proportional to the amount of power it supplies at any given moment, decreasing the power it provides to the other standby components decreases its own standby losses as well.

To make a choice, don't forget the reviews http://perfectshowerhead.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kyile Rey

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2016 :  04:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyile Rey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
using natural lights is great idea
Go to Top of Page

Kyile Rey

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2016 :  04:17:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyile Rey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
check this link, it has several great ideas https://www.progress-energy.com/carolinas/home/save-energy-money/energy-saving-tips-calculators/100-tips.page?

Jakin ID Technology
http://www.jakinid.com/
Go to Top of Page

Chazbot
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  12:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chazbot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.ecoairanywhere.com/files/117184818.pdf

If you are exchanging air in a working garage you will likely benefit from one of these. At the correct size you will recover 70-90% of the energy of the exchange between incoming and outgoing air. A slight positive pressure in the building overall and eliminate the drafts you will notice the energy savings.

Charles at BPE
Go to Top of Page

sym420
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  05:46:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit sym420's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use natural light in my garage after i replaced my florecent lights and the lighting makes a huge difference. It looks like a whole new garage and much more brigther than before.

Best Shower Heads
Go to Top of Page

wickrush
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2017 :  01:43:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
way to improve garage energy efficiency https://learn.compactappliance.com/garage-energy-efficiency/
Go to Top of Page

affordablewindowsofaz12
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2017 :  9:18:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit affordablewindowsofaz12's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My suggestions is to go for energy efficient windows like Double-Hung or Casement windows which is the perfect option to let go the air and light into your garage.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page