Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrowell
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  12:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Group
I am looking for a solution to tuen of A/C HVAC when doors are left open. I manage vacation villas on the ocean and the guest constantly leave all the doors open with the A/C cranked. This causes condensation, water damage, freeze ups and not to mention extream electricity bills. We have standard Honeywell thermostates.
Looking for cost effective, wireless solution.

thank you
Mike

Mike

mrowell
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  12:24:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry meant to say Turn Off!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  3:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A simple door (or window) sensor won't work because that would cycle the HVAC each time a person entered or left (or held the door open waiting for someone). A more sophisticated approach is the wait a short amount of time, say 2 minutes, before turning off the HVAC. An ISY plus some Insteon sensors can handle that.

Edit: you may also need to change the thermostats. Honewell has dozens of different thermostats.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum

Edited by - stusviews on 10/01/2015 3:33:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

mrowell
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  07:56:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input. I agree with the 2 minute delay. Any recommendations of brand and model of thermostate and door sensors i should purchase? to accomodate this and the 2 min delay.
Cheers
Mike

Mike
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  10:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only way to achieve a delay is with software or an ISY. The former requires a computer to be powered on 24/7. The latter requires access to any browser only to set it up.

The hardware you select to control the thermostat and the thermostats you select depend on which you choose. IMO, I'd go with the ISY and select Insteon or Z-Wave thermostats and sensors.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

hvacskrg
Starting Member

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  04:07:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit hvacskrg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

A simple door (or window) sensor won't work because that would cycle the HVAC each time a person entered or left (or held the door open waiting for someone). A more sophisticated approach is the wait a short amount of time, say 2 minutes, before turning off the HVAC. An ISY plus some Insteon sensors can handle that.

Edit: you may also need to change the thermostats. Honewell has dozens of different thermostats.

I must agree. Most important point you got.
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
732 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  3:57:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I manufactured such a system in the late eighties. It was used in hotels in the Caribbean. It consisted of PIR motion detector(s), door switches and a controller, all wireless. The system was scalable for use of the necessary number of PIRs and switches. Since then I moved onto other ventures, but I find similar systems in most hotels where visitors can open windows or have an access outside. I assume these systems are generally available, more sophisticated than what I manufactured three decades ago. No need to try a kludge of your own.

GJN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page