New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

meast
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2015 :  7:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings,
Looking for advice on how to set up a simple lighting application.

Have a barn that is about 250 feet from the House. Would like to be able to hit a button somewhere in the house and turn on a light in the Barn. The Barn has 240v power wired from the main House panel.

That's it. Looking for low cost simple solution.

thanks for the advice,

Mike

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3589 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  04:27:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could try insteon, but you may want to consider it an experiment. I am not sure about the communication range, but suspect 250ft+ might be stretching it. Others have reported success over longer distances, but I am not sure about that far.

What are the temperature conditions in the barn where the switch controlling your barn lights is located.

Best case would be an insteon switch in the house and a switch in the barn...about $100, but you won't know if it works until you try it. An access point (or two) might also be helpful, and that would be another $70 or so, but you won't know whether you need it until you try.

I am not sure if one of the Lutron or Leviton solutions would be any better or less expensive.

Hopefully, one of the folks who have controlled things at greater distances can offer an opinion on the likelihood of success.
Go to Top of Page

Tuicemen

Canada
51 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  05:59:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tuicemen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Usually when someone is looking for a low cost simple solution X10 is suggested.
However in this case I'm not sure it would be the simplest solution.
Certainly the cheapest to try.
You most likely would need a Power Line Control repeater or booster in any case.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3589 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  06:52:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am less confident that X-10 will work, nor am I even sure that X-10 stuff is available anymore. May be worth a try if it is available, however.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  10:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Smarthome has a great return policy. IMO, it's worth a try, 250 over the power line is not a great stretch. The trick will be to make sure that the SwitchLincs are no on opposite legs of the split, single-phase electric supply. One range extender in the barn should fix that if there's no alternative.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

Tuicemen

Canada
51 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2015 :  11:22:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tuicemen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oberkc

I am less confident that X-10 will work, nor am I even sure that X-10 stuff is available anymore. May be worth a try if it is available, however.

X10 is under new management(new owners) the new modules have AGS and the new transmitters have a much greater transmission then their older counter parts.
A 250 foot wire run to the barn isn't a long distance however you need to include the wire run from each switch to breaker panel.
this is why a repeater or booster may be needed.
Go to Top of Page

Caballo
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2017 :  08:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPB (SA or Powerline) light switches will easily make the 250' distance.
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
732 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2017 :  10:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a light controlled by X10 in the (unheated) garden shed running at about 200' total wiring length. I never had a problem with it, however, the signal can be attenuated by the electrical appliances in and around the house. You must try it, there's no easy answer. Similarly, if you use Insteon, the RF channel may make it through, although 100' is usually the specified max distance.
If you are a DIYer, you can buy two transceivers (such as XBee for about $40 each) and they can give you 1 kilometer (3,300 ft) range.
Finally, you'll be hard pushed to find 240VAC devices - likely in Europe. But between the live (red or black) wires and the neutral (white) in your barn you'll get 120V. You'd want to make sure your X10 or Insteon device are wired to the same phase to avoid unnecessary signal loss.

GJN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page