Insteon/X10 in a 110V wired RV
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TROGLEGS
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2016 :  11:08:02 AM  Show Profile  Send TROGLEGS an AOL message  Click to see TROGLEGS's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi folks -

I've been using X10 since 1977, and I well know the issue surrounding loss of signal across the two phases of common US Home wiring. Now I moved full time into an RV... this Teton Homes Fifth Wheel has both 12vdc and 110vac 50 Amp service. The way I understand that the RV 50 amp service works, is that it is a very close cousin to "stick n brick" home wiring, except that they don't ever tie the two separate 110vac legs together to have a 220vac outlet in an RV. So the same problem I've had for over 30 years still exists with my RV!

I have two legs, and my new Insteon hard-wired controllers appear to be on the OTHER LEG of the 50 amp service, and my legacy X10-Pro inline dimmer modules and older X10 incandescent wall switch cannot be controlled by the wall-mounted insteon controller, or even a plug-in X10 mini or maxi controller. Man I was ticked off!

Here's my question: Even though it is not "220V service" - I do have a breaker panel with easy access. Can I simply install a passive phase coupler in my RV - and would this do the trick just like in a regular home breaker panel?

I am sure hoping the answer is yes, as I think it's silly in a 300sq ft RV to have two x10 plug in mini-controllers (each on the other side of the phases) to control stuff.

BTW - I am not that much of a geek that I need to control stuff in a tiny RV... it's just the idiot engineers who built the RV who decided to stick the switches for things like Dining Table ceiling lights way behind a recliner rocker... very hard to reach. So this is my attempt to simplify everything with a few insteon wall-mounted controllers.

Thanks for any replies.

Tom Rogers
"The Roving Rogers" (Tom & Sue)
2003 Teton Homes "Experience Sunrise 33"
Manteca, CA

Having Fun With Automation Since 1978

stusviews

USA
15600 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2016 :  2:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If your service is 110VAC, then you do not have two legs and there is not a coupling issue.

First, let's establish the source of AC power. Are you plugged in at a trailer park or is your power self-generated (i.e., included with the RV)?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

TROGLEGS
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2016 :  3:07:29 PM  Show Profile  Send TROGLEGS an AOL message  Click to see TROGLEGS's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Back again......I have made some progress, and have some more questions and "issues" with X10/Insteon compatibility.

To answer "stusviews" question of me.... technically it is a standard "220vac" home panel - with two independent 110vac legs (There's just no 220V appliances in the RV taking advantage of both legs). Most 50AMP RV's using the "monster-sized" shore-power cabling are wired this way - with four prongs: two hots (black), one white (ground), and one copper ground.

So I wired in an X10 Signal Bridge between the two legs on two breakers in the panel I added... I now have "better" (but not flawless) operation across both 110v legs. I am just frustrated that I happen to NOT be able to program my new Insteon 2487D 6-button switch/controller or even reset it to factory defaults. I have RMA'ed the "bad" component to Smarthome, but the replacement sent to me also seems to not reset or accept X10 primary or button programming either! Argh. I am using an old "full sized" maxi controller to press the HC and UC buttons to send the ON signals needed to program the 2487D. I was almost tempted to set up a bench test using a power strip and a light bulb as the 2487D 'load' and see if it can be programmed this way. I just don't understand it. I plug in the X10 maxi controller to an outlet directly adjacent to the 2487D switch on the same wall and send signals to it to an X10 fixture relay module, and it works, but whey then, when I try to use that EXACT SAME maxi-controller to assign a unit code to a button on the 2487D it does not work?! I send it F3 ON, F3 ON, F3, ON - and the 2487D does not blink the button's light and accept the assignment of the code to the button. So then I try a "FACTORY RESET" and I hold out the button - killing all power to the 2487D... and when I press back in the set button, I do not get the load flashing off & on to indicate it had been reset to factory specs. Is it possible I have a SECOND BAD 2487D?

Oddly enough, I have an older 12064 6 button Dimmer Keypad also installed in the RV and that switch accepts the programming of the X10 buttons! I wish I could use it on a Flourescent local load (like the 2487D) and I'd just use this older keypad. Does anyone know if Smarthome made a similar older keypad which controls a load for ON/OFF only (no dim). If so, I am not aware of the model number.)

I'm just at wits end trying to solve this problem. I could just put in a Smarthome Flourescent (also older) dedicated switch where I was trying to install the 2487D and use the 12064 to control it if needed, but I really wanted the extra four buttons on that 2487D to be able to turn on and off "inconveniently-located" switches in the RV... Darn.

Anyone have any suggestions as to WHY I cannot program the 2487D?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Tom

Having Fun With Automation Since 1978
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15600 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2016 :  6:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know what a 2487d is, but if you mean a 2477d, then that device is not X10 capable.

Any reference to X10 in the troubleshooting section is generic troubleshooting which includes X10 capable devices.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5599 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2016 :  03:43:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2487S is the present Dual Band On/Off type Keypadlinc.
http://www.smarthome.com/keypadlinc-insteon-2487s-6-button-scene-control-keypad-with-on-off-switch-dual-band-white.html

As Stu has pointed out. X10 support was removed in all the present Insteon models being sold.

Edited by - BLH on 04/20/2016 03:45:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1
Average Member

150 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2016 :  5:02:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you mean the 2487s not 2487d.

Insteon no longer supports x10. It has been removed from the 2487s. This removal is ongoing so eventually no Insteon device will support x10. I believe the currently shipping 2334 series keypads are still x10 capable. (basic control only for individual addresses. No scenes, presets, nor all on/all off capability.)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page