New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lithiumus

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2016 :  11:35:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

In my current house, about 95% of the light switches are Insteon dimmers and I'm using a USB interface into a small Windows Atom server running MControl. While there were a lot of quirks, issues and setup difficulty with Mcontrol, it generally works and the only issues I've had was the Insteon USB interface dying and the odd periodic Insteon dimmer going into Network debug/display mode where it would show the Insteon network chatter.

The main reason I went with MControl was that I integrated a DSC security system and have an IP Webcam also working.

I found that I did enjoy the MControl customization and programming that allowed a lot of flexibility in programming scenes, time based events and fairly comprehensive away from home timers, events, etc.

All of this will be staying with the home and we are building a new home with the intention of also outfitting the house with 95-100% insteon dimmers and a security system like a DSC or Elk. Having stand alone systems like closed loop security cameras just means an extra icon or app which I'm not too concerned about so no need to specifically integrate security or webcams.

Looking for some recommendations where I can integrate some of the 3 (insteon, home security, closed loop cams) if possible but also retain all the flexibility in programming scenes. I'm considering Homeseer or maybe using the ISY99. Looking for some implementation recommendations. Thanks in advance!

stusviews

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2016 :  11:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The ISY99 is a dated product and has not had an update since Jan '13. Not all current Insteon devices are fully supported, some are not supported at all.

The current ISY is a 994i. Several variants are available. There's also an ELK module available.

I'm not sure what you mean by closed loop cams. A camera based closed-loop system is usually employed in manufacturing.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

Kyile Rey

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2016 :  04:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyile Rey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you have hardwired door contact sensors that are not being used, you can integrate them by wiring all zones in series and connecting the loop to an Insteon Open/Close sensor. In the scenario you would have Alarm Integrator wait for a message ending in -11 which will detect a broken connection in the loop. This is a cheap way to get some use out of older hardwired equipment. Please note your alarm notifications will not tell you which door contact tripped the alarm.

Jakin ID Technology
http://www.jakinid.com/
Go to Top of Page

lithiumus

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2016 :  11:47:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip on the ISY unit! I'll have a look at the 994i model. I've decided to go with a few IP cameras (POE) and an NVR. Makes wiring a bit easier.

At this point I don't have any hard wired contacts as it's a brand new house build so I will be wiring my own contacts for security.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page