New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Doc
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2016 :  11:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does an internet/"wifi" thermostat reconnect automatically if internet connection is broken. Are there any 'stats that will log back on without manually resetting connection. Considering Honeywell RTF9590 units. Any info on this issue? Doc

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2016 :  11:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My Honeywell WiFi thermostat automatically logs in after an internet connection is lost. And it let's me know if it loses connection, too.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

Doc
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2016 :  11:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting. I have not had that experience, probably due to the fact that when the DSL drops, it takes the model 3-5 minutes to reset and is essentlally off-line for that time. The 'stat resets and tries to log on in much less time than that. Have you dropped your connection for several minutes while the stat tries to reset (ie, will it retry more than once?) Problem is leaving home unoccupied for several months and depending on the internet to provide info dependably. Thanks. Doc
Go to Top of Page

Doc
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2016 :  12:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That should read ... it takes that MODEM 3-5 minutes ....
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2016 :  12:35:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can't blame the thermostat if the modem doesn't reset quickly.

The thermostat makes no attempt to reconnect. It simply 'senses' when it has an internet connect and then automatically connects.

The thermostat will continue to function even if the internet connection is lost.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

Doc
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2016 :  12:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, understand that, however it is the nature of the modem to take 3-5 minutes to settle down. Have no control over that. Are you sayi8ng that the RTF9590 WILL reconnect by itself when an internet connection comes back up ? My concern is to not have to ask someone to go reset the wifi connection while we are gone. I cannot get an firm answer out of H-W. (Its one of the reasons we had to go to hard wire to the security system because could not trust modem and wireless to reset without 'hands on' intervention. Trying to avoid that....) Doc
Go to Top of Page

paulbates
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2016 :  1:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 Venstar Colortouch Wifi Thermostats.. the newest is the T7900, the older the t5900

http://www.smarthome.com/venstar-t7900-colortouch-7-day-wi-fi-humidity.html

My internet service is comcast and very reliable.. however, I occasionally have to reset the cable modem and my router, losing the internet for 3-4 minutes. Both thermostats show an icon indicating that it can not see the internet during that time, but changes back automatically to "online" after the cablemodem comes back up

Paul

Edited by - paulbates on 11/05/2016 1:53:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

AAShah
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  03:01:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Breez smart thermostat connects and reconnects automatically within 30 seconds. check it out at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Breez-Smart-Thermostat-for-Ductless-Air-Conditioners-and-Heat-Pumps-/252865309980?hash=item3adff26d1c:g:ga0AAOSwls5Y71YO
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page