New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

meg
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  1:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm putting together a smart home from scratch. My most important criteria is that my devices talk to my hub and not to the internet. I want to use an airgapped computer with a WiFi router, a hub, and a collection of old cell phones (no SIMs) and tablets connected to that router to control most of my devices. I think that Big Data is already way to intrusive and that hackers can only hack what they can see, so if you want to hack me or see what time I go to bed, you can do it the old fashioned way, by sitting in front of my house.

The Samsung SmartThings Hub looks like it might do what I want, but I'm having a really hard time figuring out which devices will work with a hub and which ones have to have cloud access. The companies seem to use WiFi and internet interchangeably, even when specifically asked if the device will work without the internet. Has anyone already figured this out? I'm completely open to suggestions.

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10432 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  2:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think that device will work independently. The ISY does fine air gapped, and so long as you don't use a Hub, Insteon modules and switches don't connect to the net either.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

meg
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  5:52:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the quick reply. I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what's the difference between a hub and a controller? When I Googled ISY, I found this. Is that what you meant when you said ISY? Is it better than the Insteon hub because you can add modules to it? Do you need to be a coder to make it all work together? I've built multiple computers out of parts and started reformatting computers with floppy disks, but this whole smart home thing is a little overwhelming. I'm sure it won't help me that I'm staying off the net.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10432 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  6:56:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's it. It is a stand-alone controller, it doesn't need an internet connection to function. No coding necessary, you build scenes and create what they call 'programs' (which are essentially just If x Then Y statements) using drop- down menus.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15709 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2017 :  10:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Naming the ISY an Insteon controller is a misnomer. An Insteon controller is an Insteon device that controls one or more Insteon responders.

An ISY can do what an Insteon controller can do, but it does much, much more. An ISY is best called an Insteon Manager.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
741 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  07:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting back to the original issue: The electronic industry overall is pushing the cart before the horse, not having learned anything from the current and the past disasters. Nobody, especially in the consumer arena, pays adequate attention to the security. There is so much data available on the Internet, especially related to the IoT and the Cloud, so poorly protected, that even a second-rate hacker can access them.

GJN
Go to Top of Page

TechNerd
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2017 :  07:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit TechNerd's Homepage  Send TechNerd an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Getting back to the original issue: The electronic industry overall is pushing the cart before the horse, not having learned anything from the current and the past disasters. Nobody, especially in the consumer arena, pays adequate attention to the security. There is so much data available on the Internet, especially related to the IoT and the Cloud, so poorly protected, that even a second-rate hacker can access them.

I agree with GEO, security is a big issue with these gadgets. I don't think you can be completely hidden if you adopt current smart home systems.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page