Problems after power loss
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BrokeEF
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  11:04:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, I have had my Insteon system for a bit over a year and so far it has been great. I am only controlling a few lights, and outlet, and I have a leak detector being connected with a Hub. A week ago there was an accident by my house, and someone took out a power line. Ever since I have not been able to get the leak detector to connect, and nothing will follow the schedules.

Not really sure what happened since we have had the power has been out before (I believe).

HELP!
Sean

stusviews

USA
15600 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  1:29:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The powerline has nothing at all to do with a Leak Sensor. A first step is to remove the sensor from the Hub and perform a factory reset as described in the Owner's Manual.

Then add the sensor to the Hub.

Your location might have changed after the outage. In any case, tap Find My Hub.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

BrokeEF
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  06:07:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I already did that, and replaced the battery before posting. I should have mentioned that. It "sees" the sensor, but cannot get a status on it. Also, what about the schedule problem I am having?

Sean
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15600 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  1:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You did what? I made several suggestions.

Go to Top of Page

BrokeEF
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  07:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have done all of them.

Sean
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15600 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  12:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What specifically is the schedule problem, they don't run at all, they run at the wrong time? If the latter, how far off and in which direction?

Do you have scenes or devices scheduled? Do you have more than one schedule at or near the same time? Details, details, details!!!

Go to Top of Page

BrokeEF
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  12:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They do not run at all. I have my outdoor lights (single on/off switch) turn on at dusk, and off at dawn. I have my family room lamp turn on at 5:30PM and off at 10:00PM, but that I believe is a scene so that it ramps up and down slow to a percentage. That is a single dimmable outlet. Neither of those schedules work since the power outage. The location was wrong, but I fixed that and still nothing. Yesterday we were out till after 7 and nothing had come on.

Everything will work if I open the app and just turn it on and off. All of the switches work like they should, including the ones that trigger scenes. All of my lighting control in the theater works correctly from my phone, Harmony, or switches. Just still cannot get a status on the leak detector, and the schedules do not turn on or off at all. All happened after the power outage, which I do understand should have no effect.

Sean
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15600 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  1:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Schedules work best on scenes, not devices. Create a new scheduled scene with one or two devices that'll run about 5 minutes after you create it.

What's the result?

Go to Top of Page

BrokeEF
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  10:14:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally got around to this last night. I made and scheduled a scene, nothing happened. I then scheduled a device, and it gave me a database error, but worked just fine. I might try this again tonight if I have time just to be sure I didn't program it weird or something.

Sean
Go to Top of Page

BrokeEF
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2017 :  3:48:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I have not had a chance to do anything other than delete my test schedules. Funny thing is, it still works... I don't see it anywhere in my scenes or schedules (I deleted both), but that light still goes on and off like clockwork. Meanwhile all of my other problems persist.

Sean
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15600 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2017 :  4:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The schedule may remain until you log out of the app.

Go to Top of Page

BrokeEF
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  07:32:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've logged out, and in a handful of times since and it still fires every day like clockwork. I also added another (new) leak detector yesterday with 0 issue. I tried to remove the existing one, and re-add it with no luck. I tried to remove it a couple times, and then just force removed it, still didn't work. I tried to add it back in, and no dice.

To summarize, my original problems are not any closer to being solved. I have fixed other "problems" since starting this, and have also added new ones, but no progress on my initial issues at all.

Sean
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2314 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  09:35:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Sean,

As painful as this may sound the one sure way to determine root cause is to delete all devices from the HUB II. Once that is done hard reset the HUB II controller when complete add the devices back to the controller and report back what you observe.

If you see the exact same behavior delete the smart application and down load it again. Once the smart app is installed login the HUB II and report back if you still see the same behavior. If you don't your golden if you still do its possible the HUB II controller needs to be replaced.

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro
Go to Top of Page

TimK
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  07:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a mixed (insteon + X10) setup for years and experienced several incidents with power line surges and a nearby but indirect lightning strike. One power surge (a failure at a switching yard twenty miles away) created a weird set of troubles including a destroyed wall wart charger and several insteon toggle linc devices that were unresponsive. I thought they were dead but air-gap reset and reprogramming brought them back to life. My ISY controller suffered nary a scratch. That incident motivated me to add a surge limiter in my circuit breaker panel and a network protector at the incoming coax line to the cable modem.

The nearby lightning strike was brutal -- it killed my PLM, then jumped to a LAN cable where it destroyed a network attached TV, and several routers and a printer. Even though I now had a surge suppressor in the breaker panel, the EMP/overvoltage scrambled several outlet-mounted insteon lamp dimmer modules and they had to be reset and re-linked.

Bottom line is the surge you experienced may require that you fully reset modules. Could it have affected an RF-only device like the leak detector? Doubtful, but with insteon perhaps anything is possible given a strong enough RF field and a noisy signal.

Edited by - TimK on 03/11/2017 07:14:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15600 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  12:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Which whole house surge suppressor do you have installed?

Go to Top of Page

BrokeEF
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2017 :  2:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its been a while, but its time for an update. First thing I did was delete everything (scenes, and devices) and then did a hard reset and built everything back up again with the same results.

I then bought a new HUB II, and then deleted everything from the old one. I deleted all of the scenes, devices, and even my account. Disconnected the old hub, hooked up the new one and did everything from scratch. I did not try the leak detectors because I was on a time crunch. Short version is that it is exactly the same. Also interesting is that on the old HUB I had programmed a switch to activate a scene. I did NOT do that on the new hub, but that switch still controls the other devices as if I had.

HELP!!!!!

Sean
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2017 :  2:26:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a power glitch not long ago that took out the filter capacitor in a tiny phone charger, turning that plug into a power line noise factory. The failure wasnít immediately obvious, the charger continued to work, but the noise it produced slowed down Insteon communications with every other device in the house. Even RF devices were impacted, since all dual-band power line modules operate as repeaters for RF-only gear. The noise made control of one Insteon bulb intermittent, and left one Open/Closed sensor unable to talk to the Hub at all.

I found the culprit by a process of elimination. I turned off one circuit breaker in the house at a time, prompted the Hub app to re-querry device status, then turned that breaker back on and moved to the next, until I reached one where normal performance speeds returned. Thatís when I unplugged everything powered by that breaker, re-energized the breaker, and plugged one device in at a time and retested, until I found the broken charger.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

BrokeEF
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  08:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So is that my only option at this point?

How does that explain the "ghost" programmed scene? Also that doesn't really make any sense since I am able to control that outlet at any time, it just wont come on and off on a schedule. The only other scheduled device works just fine. This is starting to become very annoying for something so simple.

Sean
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  09:26:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have substantial interference on the power lines, that will interfere with all communications, including schedules and attempts to link or unlink devices.

If you donít find the answers you seek here, in the user-to-user forums, your next step would be to reach out to Insteonís tech support. See www.insteon.com/support . The Contact Support links are all the way at the bottom.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15600 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  12:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you have any other schedules at or near the same time?

Go to Top of Page

BrokeEF
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2017 :  08:08:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only other schedule I have is my outside lights go on at dusk and off at dawn. That usually isn't all that close to the on time for the lamp.

Sean
Go to Top of Page

NoellEagan
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2017 :  08:32:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge you should delete all devices from the HUB II. Once that is done hard reset the HUB II controller when complete add the devices back to the controller and report back what you observe.If you see the exact same behavior delete the smart application and down load it again. Once the smart app is installed login the HUB II and report back if you still see the same behavior.
Go to Top of Page

BrokeEF
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2017 :  10:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've done that more than once.

Sean
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: