Heat loss for windows?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MichaelMPerez
Starting Member

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2017 :  04:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Send MichaelMPerez an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am planning on renovating my house by the latter part of next month. I want a suggestion on energy efficient windows (energy certified windows) which are affordable. I often come across articles which say that windows contribute to 62.3% of heat loss. My friend suggested windows which are Double-Paned, clear glass, aluminium frame as an efficient energy saving affordable option. Found few offers at https://www.clerawindows.com/ottawa. Can they help me with my requirement? Is the offer still valid? Are they reliable? Kindly chime in with other suggestions for energy saving. I would definitely want to cut down on my utility bill.

ljnealandsons
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2017 :  01:46:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit ljnealandsons's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wont say that their offers are not upto the mark but try to search for better people who can offer invasive installations and offer latest triple-pane windows which are highly secured.
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
732 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  08:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I replaced all the windows three years ago, all double pane. I looked at the triple pane windows but the increased cost was not worth the improvement of their thermal performance. The contractor confirmed it.
I started with the back of the house where I put the aluminum frame windows the same as the dealer in Ottawa sells. Their presumed advantage is that they are not affected by the climate and will last "forever". I am not impressed with their design, mosquito screens are a pain to remove and put back, all their plastic parts harden after just a few years and crack - rather than listing all the shortcomings I tell you I'd never buy them again. And on top of it they look cheap and ugly. So I put wooden frame windows to the house front. They're more expensive but their design is much better.
Whether the aluminum frames last longer than the wooden ones (you can't buy the replacement cracked plastic parts) is a moot point. All windows today have sealed double pane glass inserts, allegedly filled with an inert gas (the gas is a tiny bit better insulator than air). The problem is that the seal eventually breaks, you get water condensation between the two panes and that's about it for your window. The glass inserts, generally, can't be repaired. It's cheaper to manufacture irreparable windows and the manufacturer has repeat business.
None of my window inserts lasted more than 15 years, several of them, including the aluminum ones lost the seal within just a few years. Usually the windows facing sun fail first.

GJN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page