Insteon
 Insteon Hub and Google Home
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kurelgyer

53 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2017 :  12:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Smart home working on supporting Google Home direct actions?

Universal Devices just instituted ISY control with Google Home Direct Actions. It's awesome. Near instant voice control of devices. This is what I have.

I gave my mom, dad and sister all the Insteon Hub. I have been able get Google Home to work with the Smarthome Insteon Hub with a contortion of IFTTT and Stringify, but it takes over 10 seconds for commands to be carried out. Not use friendly.

Will the Smarthome Insteon Hub support Google Home Direct Actions soon?

dryii
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2017 :  3:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I, too, have the same question. Right now I have to funnel all commands through my Logitech Harmony hub to control my Insteon devices. I'd really like to know if there will ever be direct support for my home automation.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1
Average Member

195 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  2:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the Insteon hub supporting Alexa, I would be highly surprised if they did not include google home at some point in the near future. Unfortunately

Insteon does not make users aware of their support roadmap so no one would know for certain. For all we know they could have it ready now in testing to work out the kinks and pass googles certification.
Go to Top of Page

jackman
Average Member

160 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  1:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm interested in Google Home integration as well. Thanks, kurelgyer, for the tip regarding the lag with IFTTT. I was thinking of that as a solution but decided not to waste my time.
Go to Top of Page

jackman
Average Member

160 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2018 :  07:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this post: http://www.insteon.com/support-knowledgebase/2018/1/8/control-insteon-devices-from-google-home

Google Home appears to be working with the 2245-222 hub but not with the older 2242-222 model.
Go to Top of Page

kurelgyer

53 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2018 :  1:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Insteon is now an option in Google Home's Home Control section. Very easy to set up and seems to work well.
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1
Average Member

195 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2018 :  7:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jackman

I found this post: http://www.insteon.com/support-knowledgebase/2018/1/8/control-insteon-devices-from-google-home

Google Home appears to be working with the 2245-222 hub but not with the older 2242-222 model.

That is correct. Google home and Amazon Echo only works with the 2245-222.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10477 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2018 :  7:54:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The two Hubs Connect to the outside world differently. The 2242 offers a web page interface that can be accessed via a browser, whereas the 2245 uses an API that can connect to outside web-based services like Harmony and Alexa and Stringify.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page