Control a camp trailer 12v thermostat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

guido1000
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2017 :  07:39:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to do (maybe just one). First I am trying to replicate the same setup I have now for a friend. I have a camp trailer in NH with internet access that I have been using a simple X10 UM506 universal controller spliced into the heat call wire to the furnace which is 12vdc. That controller is connected to a SmartLinc INSTEON 2412N Central Controller. I have the router setup so I can connect to the Smartlinc and turn on the X10 and activate the heat remotely. Wifi thermostats were $500+ when I did this in 2008. Unfortunately the smartlinc is no longer made. Is there something else that can be made accessible on the internet to control X10 modules?

Depending on the outcome of that, I figure it may be easier to just go to a wifi thermostat.
But a couple of concerns I have; are the wifi therostats compatible with a 12vdc system and are they capable of completely turning off the system as the hvac systems in trailers are not designed for 24x7 operation.

TIA

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2017 :  1:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WiFi thermostats are designed for 24VAC or 120VAC (e.g., electric heat). There's no getting around that without a complex setup and a bunch of parts that you'd need to assemble.

A simpler choice is an Insteon 2245-222 Hub plus an I/O Linc in place of the X10 UM506.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page