controller
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

davidm
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2017 :  3:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a long time X-10 user who is thinking of migrating to Insteon. I'm a little confused about what to use as the "controller" in place of my CM15A - a hub, an ISY device, or a "modem" such as the 2413U. I prefer to control the system from a PC over using a smartphone, but I want the system to run without the PC being powered on.

stusviews

USA
15600 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2017 :  5:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Hub is meant primarily for a smartphone. The Windows app is meager and allows for only the simplest of systems.

If you want to control the system using a PC, then your only choices are software or an ISY. Both are somewhat costly. Software requires that the PC be left on 24/7, so your only real choice is an ISY.

If budget is an obstacle, then you can start with the lowest cost ISY and add/upgrade s bit at a time or you can choose anything in between.

BTW, the 2414U is not a stand alone Insteon controller. You'll need to write your own software or use it with other software. The 2414U was discontinued years ago. You may not be able to find anything that uses it. It cannot handle extended messages which virtually all new Insteon devices use.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5599 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  12:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ISY994i uses a 2413S PLM to interface. For processing X10 and Insteon messages.
There is a model that has an accessory Z-Wave module in it. It can used alone if there is no X10 or Insteon. Only Z-Wave.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page