Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crowdx44
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2017 :  07:03:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
first time poster with a noob question. So I initially bought a couple of TP-Link plugs a while back, then I got an Amazon dot and a Google home, I checked them both and returned the Google home as it seemed the Amazon dot had better home automation control. I then added a few more TP-Link items, a few bulbs, light switches and plugs. I am pretty happy with this setup but I now want to add more functionality and so I have been researching Hubs. The things I want with a hub are: control house fans with lights on them, control the garage door and finally automate functions when I go to bed or leave the house. I know I will have to buy additional switches etc to do the control at the light/fan/garage door but I want to make sure that the hub I get will do what I want.
So for instance, with Smarththings and Alexa, can I simply say Alexa, goodnight and have Smartthings/Wink shut down everything in the house?
Does either of these hubs fit the bill? Is there something else I should be considering?

Patrick McCabe

Tuicemen

Canada
51 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2017 :  04:49:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tuicemen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't have either hub however I have been using Alexa for several months. saying simply good night will have her return with a good night message.
which would mostlikely override the command to the hub.
Since your good night idea sounds like a simple scene you can do that without a hub.
You can use SmartThings(cloud based control)without the need for a hub but I only played with that to a small degree and not with tp-link devices.

Edited by - Tuicemen on 07/10/2017 05:01:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3589 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2017 :  5:08:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
and finally automate functions when I go to bed or leave the house

This is the key phrase that jumps out at me. I don't use the insteon hub, but suspect it would be fine if your desires are, simply, to control a bunch of devices through your phone or alexa. I don't think it would be a problem, for example, to have alexa turn off all devices (or some set of devices defined by you). The garage door kit with IOLinc could be configured to trigger the door only if opened.

I cannot help with regards to the smarthings or wink hubs, but assume that these would be equally capable. I think the key items on your list are the fan and garage door, so make sure you have solutions for those, if you choose something other than the insteon hub and insteon IOLinc.

If your "automation" dreams are more sophisticated than simple timers or remote control (for example...if I am home and if it is dark, then turn on the lights) my guess is that you will quickly run into some limitations on any of those hubs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page