Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Security
 Device to Remotely Cover a Security Camera?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomas Carroll
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  1:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a vacation rental with an interior security camera. I'll use a remote controllable device to power it off when it is being rented and back on when it is vacant, but I still feel that guests will not be comfortable with it.

The security camera is standing upright and on a level surface above my kitchen cabinets and there is leveled space in front of it for a device to cover/shield it. Is there a device that exists could be used to shield the view of the Security Camera that can go up and then retract back down? I feel like the device I'm looking for, if it even exists, is going to take some creative thinking to come up with an idea. I honestly wouldn't care if it was a device or multiple devices that look completely out of place. For example if I placed a few meant to be in-ground garden sprinklers that actually are able to go up then stop, and then retract remotely I'm pretty sure my guests would prefer the garden sprinklers over the security camera.

Thomas Carroll
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  2:00:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention that I do have a SmartThings Z-Wave Hub.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  3:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the camera offer pan and tilt? If so, you could use a preset to aim it toward the wall or floor or ceiling, whichever direction doesn't threaten privacy, before turning it off. It might also help to put up a small sign explaining that the camera is disabled during rentals.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Carroll
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2017 :  3:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does not have Pan & Tilt. It is a Piper nv security camera. If there is a camera that exists that could tilt so much so that guests wouldn't even be able to determine that it is a security camera that might work.

I've heard recently about Robotic Button Pushers(which physically push buttons on devices remotely) and am wondering if there is a device in which I could use the Robotic Button Pusher to block and unblock the camera from view.
Go to Top of Page

cubix
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  05:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to have this problem too. Security cams work well to make sure our home is secure, especially when we can't always be home, but the downside is most security cams are easy to identify since they really look like security cams. A friend recommended Piper NV to me, and I can't be happier. If you want to conceal your security cam, the best idea is to get one that doesn't look like one. Piper looks more of a speaker so people wouldn't know it's a security cam. It might work well in making sure the people visiting your home don't feel uncomfortable around it since it looks more like a speaker than a security cam.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  6:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hidden security cameras

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

LoneDadSurvivor
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  6:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cubix

I used to have this problem too. Security cams work well to make sure our home is secure, especially when we can't always be home, but the downside is most security cams are easy to identify since they really look like security cams. A friend recommended Piper NV to me, and I can't be happier. If you want to conceal your security cam, the best idea is to get one that doesn't look like one. Piper looks more of a speaker so people wouldn't know it's a security cam. It might work well in making sure the people visiting your home don't feel uncomfortable around it since it looks more like a speaker than a security cam.

Couldn't agree more! Piper never looked like a camera at first glance, more like a mini speaker. unless you take a closer look, of course we'll get to notice its lens but over all, i think it's cool for hidden surveillance purposes. Goes same with Canary!

https://smartrobotichome.com

Edited by - LoneDadSurvivor on 08/17/2017 11:26:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2017 :  11:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I prefer cameras that look like cameras, both inside and out. Their visibility alone is a deterrent.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

georgebalanchine
Starting Member

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  12:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit georgebalanchine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In terms of camouflage and staying unnoticed, from my personal experience, Arlo security cameras and Nest Cams are the best.
http://www.leadsrating.com/security-cameras/security-camera-comparisons/arlo-pro-vs-nest-outdoor/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page