Button on boiler
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

raoul
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  7:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a cabin that heats up slowly. I would like to be able to turn the heat via the net the day before I arrive. I can't easily put WIFI thermostats, as the thermostats are actually just temperature sensors in the various rooms. I could upgrade the main controller to a network system, but this is going to cost me around $800.

I had an idea that perhaps I could just tap into the existing controller "occupied / unoccupied" modes by remotely pushing a button. If it is in occupied, then it will regulate the temperature to the setpoint on the thermostats. When switched to unoccupied, it will ignore the thermostat setting and drop to a preset colder temperature.

I have to look at the button still and get to it on the control board, but I expect it is just a standard NC / NO toggle switch. I could probably use the GPIO pins on a Raspberry Pi to flip a relay which would toggle the state of the "button" between open and closed. Then I could install some sort of web server to flip this remotely.

However, I started to think that the smart home devices might already have something that would do this for me. I would still have to hack into the button, of course. So I am looking for a switch that I can control remotely. Sort of like the smart light switches I can see, but I don't want to actually switch the mains voltage. I just want to be able to flip a switch like a light switch that will open or close this connection. I have not found one yet, and was hoping someone on this forum could give me a kick in the right direction.

I can do WIFI or CAT5... my preference is just hardwired cat5 to minimize chances of going offline.

Any suggestions?

TIA

-Raoul

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  7:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's difficult to suggest something if you don't really know exactly what you are controlling.

Any suggestion would be a wild guess based on no accurate information.

I could probably make 12 guesses, one of which may work, a dozen of which probably won't

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

raoul
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  07:35:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm.... Let me try again to explain exactly what it is.

Essentially there is a circuit board that has a button on it. The button is just a switch. In one mode, the switch is open. In the other mode, the switch is closed or connects the two points on the board.

Therefore, what I want to do is remove the existing switch from the board and wire in a switch that I can OPEN or CLOSE remotely. It is just a simple contact switch.

-Raoul

quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

It's difficult to suggest something if you don't really know exactly what you are controlling.

Any suggestion would be a wild guess based on no accurate information.

I could probably make 12 guesses, one of which may work, a dozen of which probably won't

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5600 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  09:53:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would still be a help. If you actually gave us a model number of the control board you want to modify.
If in warranty or service contract. You modifying the board could void it.

The 2450 I/OLinc has a set of dry contact relay outputs. Has a Common, Normally Open and Normally Closed outputs.
If it is just a open or closed you need. C to NC would be closed Off or C to NO open when off.
It is a power line only model. So an Insteon RF remote if used would need an added Dual Band module or Range Extender to control it.
http://www.smarthome.com/i-o-linc-insteon-2450-low-voltage-contact-closure-interface-1-in-1-out.html

If you leave the original switch in the open position. You could still wire the I/OLinc relay outputs across the original switch being open.
Or removal as planed would also work.

Edited by - BLH on 07/12/2017 09:56:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2017 :  6:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In your original post, you indicated,
quote:
Originally posted by raoul

I have to look at the button still and get to it on the control board, but I expect it is just a standard NC / NO toggle switch.

Now you said,
quote:

Essentially there is a circuit board that has a button on it. The button is just a switch. In one mode, the switch is open. In the other mode, the switch is closed or connects the two points on the board.

Does that mean that you have since confirmed the action of the switch?

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page