Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ralph Niles
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2017 :  10:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi friends,
Here are a few tips on how to maximize your security by using the right locks:
1. Have secure front door locks with deadbolts
2. Secure the entry and exit doors with decorative grille that has no removable screws
3. Install a peephole in the doors
4. Secure gate latches and garage and shed doors with sturdy padlocks
Install a good alarm system at home to monitor the house.

An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. So get your houses secured with good quality locks. You must always the contact details of a locksmith who can be approached in a case of emergency because door locks are important for safekeeping and privateness.

Edited by - Ralph Niles on 07/18/2017 12:12:18 AM

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2017 :  7:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the door itself and the door jamb. Even the most secure lock is useless if the door and it's surrounding structure are easily smashed.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum.
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
770 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2017 :  1:06:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second stusviews. Many years ago I was involved with security and saw quite a few sophisticated systems easily by-passed by a brick through their lights.

GJN
Go to Top of Page

smartkeylesslock
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  7:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit smartkeylesslock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing. But I was heard that some locations in USA, the burglar most likely break in with brick through their windows? Is that true?
Go to Top of Page

Alakey
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  09:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And how do you feel about smart locks? Are they reliable? Because my door is extremely powerful, the walls around are very good too. The door in them is thoroughly welded - 6 metal reinforcements on each side and 4 on top and bot are held.
I have a long time ago the idea of turning my house into a smart house of future. I go slowly but surely. I have smart lights, a robotic vacuum cleaner, a thermostat and an Amazon echo, cameras and some small things. I also think of a smart lock, but I'm not entirely sure of its oversight. Can any of these options be trustworthy? What you use yourself?

Alakey Fry

Edited by - Alakey on 11/09/2017 09:58:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  12:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alakey

And how do you feel about smart locks? Are they reliable? Because my door is extremely powerful, the walls around are very good too. The door in them is thoroughly welded - 6 metal reinforcements on each side and 4 on top and bot are held.
I have a long time ago the idea of turning my house into a smart house of future. I go slowly but surely. I have smart lights, a robotic vacuum cleaner, a thermostat and an Amazon echo, cameras and some small things. I also think of a smart lock, but I'm not entirely sure of its oversight. Can any of these options https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/smart-lock be trustworthy? What you use yourself?

The list you linked to is in the United Kingdom, you're in the USA. the ratings given may not apply to your location.

There's no doubt that a smart lock is less secure than a conventional lock.

OTOH, I do use smart locks because they're more convenient and, more importantly, I can have them automatically lock at night if I inadvertently forgot to lock one or more.

You can't go wrong if you select a well known lock manufacturer such as Schlage (my choice), Yale or Kwikset, to name a few.

It really comes down to which lock has the style you like. You may also want to look at the features for each lock. Most features are common among all locks, but one may have a specific feature that you especially like that the others don't

Go to Top of Page

TonyFell
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  5:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smartkeylesslock

Thanks for sharing. But I was heard that some locations in USA, the burglar most likely break in with brick through their windows? Is that true?

I saw something that said the front door was the #1 method of entry.

Criminals kick them in, or people leave them open and the thief just walks in.

Most people don't want to crawl through broken glass.
Go to Top of Page

Alakey
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  01:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You can't go wrong if you select a well known lock manufacturer such as Schlage (my choice), Yale or Kwikset, to name a few.

pecific feature that you especially like that the others don't

TY, man, I`ve ordered touchscreen deadbolt from schlage - looking amazing.
(I linked uk-s top, because I`m in UK for next two weeks visiting my family.)

Alakey Fry
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15854 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  01:13:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TonyFell

quote:
Originally posted by smartkeylesslock

Most people don't want to crawl through broken glass.

Most people are not thieves

Go to Top of Page

TonyFell
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2017 :  11:02:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alakey

pecific feature that you especially like that the others don't

I have heard that Kwikset is not very good for security. It has to do with the lock itself having plastic inside of it.

Thieves can just break it open.

Anyone else heard about that with the other locks?
Go to Top of Page

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
770 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2017 :  2:45:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any lock or a password can be defeated, but that requires a lot of effort. Unless you are like most people, the required effort may not be worth to many criminals (provided they are sophisticated to the boot). Most people don't need a Fort Knox - just make sure you don't present an easy target. Mere lighting around the house will deter many potential burglars.

GJN
Go to Top of Page

LockNMore
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2018 :  12:40:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit LockNMore's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The truth is, more than 50% of burglars enter through either front or back doors. Don't leave them unlocked, period! As someone said earlier, the best lock means nothing if it is on a flimsy door or the door is attached to a weak frame. Most doors are so easily and quickly kicked in. So, if you are going to worry about a quality lock (and you should), take the extra step and reinforce the door, the frame, and the striker. Then, if you want to go with a smart lock, go for it. Check with a local and pick his brain about the best brands for different purposes. www.locknmore.com

Lock N More Locksmith

Edited by - LockNMore on 01/24/2018 1:36:50 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page