Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Energy Saving Solutions
 Is Anyone using a home energy monitoring system?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoeClark
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  08:06:46 AM  Show Profile  Send JoeClark an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I am doing a fairly large project with all new hvac as well as building a home theater and my energy consumption has always been through the roof. I average 2,000 KWH a month already and my new additions may cause it to increase. I had an electrician laying out wires tell me I have some type of electrical problem, because 2,000 KWH is way too much for what I am using. He said I should install an electrical monitoring system to figure out where the power is going.

I have see a bunch of plug in ones that you have to manually plug everything in but I don't want to do that. i also see the energy detective that has mixed views.I went through Energy Monitoring Video to know more but wasn't satisfied.

Anyone recommend a product for this application.

Thank you.

Joe Clark

Geo
Advanced Member

Canada
732 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  05:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You don't necessarily have to spend money on equipment whose cost may exceed any potential saving many timnes. Just take a pencil and a piece of paper and list all your appliances with their power requirements - every electrical appliance must state it on its name plate. The fridge, the freezer and your heat pump will be most likely at the top of the list. After that just monitor how may hours is every appliance operating. You'll quickly find the main power hogs.
You can verify the appliances' power draw by simply measuring their current - an ammeter which just clamps around the wires is fairly inexpensive and a nice thing to have anyway.
Having an electrical problem short of someone tapping into your power lines and stealing the power from you doesn't seem likely.

GJN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page