New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

stusviews

USA
15601 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2017 :  8:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My old ISY 99i that was discontinued mid-February 2013 is still fully functional. Even my 2412S PLM (also discontinued) works well and powers the 2412S PLM, too.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

jtmoderate876

31 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  05:03:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EVIL Teken : I did not know ISY has MQTT and web services options - you have me intrigued and thank you.
(should you consider changing your name to KIND Teken? :)

lilyoyo1 : you too have provided quite a bit of valuable feedback - so thank you
stusviews : ditto

You guys, along with this discussion of connecting ISY to Node_RED via MQTT:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/openhab/v3XRMe8Fy_k

have convinced me to buy ISY and give it a go. I think I will want the most capable version so that I don't hit memory/device limits and so that I have zwave as an option. So this is going to be something like a $300 experiment mating Insteon, UDI and Node-RED (I know - Node-RED is my problem) via MQTT and/or REST - that I hope not to regret.

I really appreciate all of your fair and thoughtful responses - and importantly - continuing to salvage my thousands invested in Insteon.
Go to Top of Page

jtmoderate876

31 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  06:50:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KIND Teken : Can you point me to info on using MQTT with ISY?
Googling isy mqtt doesn't point to " how to", drivers or code as best I can find.
Go to Top of Page

jtmoderate876

31 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  07:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this the MQTT method that you are referring to:
http://ud-polyglot.readthedocs.io/en/development/nsdev.html#mqtt
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1
Average Member

150 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  08:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Youre welcome. The forums are here for an exchange of information and knowledge. You'll want to post this in the ISY forums.

You'll find Teken on there mostly. With you looking at using the ISY, I would recommend joining their forums. You'll find many of the same faces from here over there as well. It's definitely worth signing up for.

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 09/19/2017 09:02:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2315 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2017 :  09:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jtmoderate876

Is this the MQTT method that you are referring to:
http://ud-polyglot.readthedocs.io/en/development/nsdev.html#mqtt

Yes, that was one of the primary links for MQTT. There are a few UDI members who have been working on MQTT for awhile to integrate with the ISY Series Controller. I'm not sure if this is the exact user name but recall it being Einstein.42

If you look up some of his threads or better yet enter MQTT into the forum search you will see 4~5 of the same members actively talking about how they used and integrated MQTT into various projects.

Essentially, not all of the threads the members are direct solutions but does offer insight and user support in getting off in a good fashion. Couple this with the link you provided I am sure you're on good footing.

Sign up at UDI as lilyoyo1 suggested and post your question and PM Einstein.42 and I am sure there will be some great insight. Please do track your efforts and document the journey as I am sure more people will see the value in doing so. As you're probably aware starting from scratch is probably the main driver for many people abandoning such an endeavor.

Blaze the trail and let others follow . . .

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page