Smarthome software 2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Jean Loyer

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2017 :  10:05:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the problem mentioned in another thread (Smarthome software), i.e. the software disc which came with the Smarthome 1132 controller (SmartHome Manager Plus, 2004 Suite of products, v2.96) is damaged and won't read. This is the Plus version, not the Essential.
I want to put the Smarthome software on a new win10pro computer. I understand from a djkraven post that I need to find the proper .msi file in my old computer and use it to install the program; he did so and it worked. I am aware of the legacy issues but maybe I can overcome them, with some help from you gentlemen if need be.

Additional info: I located 2 related files in the old computer (C:\SMARTLNC and C:\Program files(x86),)but I didn't find any related .msi file. djkraven had found such a file, as he mentioned in the other thread but I don't know how to reach him.
Any help would be appreciated; i am a newbie. Thanks.

stusviews

USA
15600 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2017 :  2:27:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What you won't be able to overcome-ever-is that most new devices are not full compatible with HL, some not compatible at all.

What that means is that you won't be able to expand your Insteon network, or worse, replace a failed device.

IMO, you should give serious thought for a new Insteon manager. If you make use of HL programs other than schedules, then the Hub is inadequate for you.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2017 :  3:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, you are mistaking the 1132 for another interface. The 1132 is an X-10/A-10 only controller, nothing to do with HouseLinc or Insteon.

That said, I still wouldn't recommend a newbie invest a lot of time or energy on x10. It's a legacy standard from the 1970s that doesn't compete well against all the more modern standards.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

Jean Loyer

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2017 :  5:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't clear. I have had the 1132 for a long time on XP, W7 and W10 and a large investment in X10 modules. I would like to be able to use the smarthome plus (not essential)software on the new W10 computer. I am reasonably handy around computers without being an expert. When I said newbie, I meant new to this forum.

Relatedly, another member of the group (djkraven)seems to have a solution but I don't know how to contact him.

Any help on either of these 2 counts would be greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Tuicemen

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  07:09:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tuicemen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
djkraven is a relatively new member so I would expect them to return.
However that being said sometimes it can be weeks to months before that happens (if ever)
Go to Top of Page

Jean Loyer

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  09:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tuicemen,
Thanks for your reply.Is there a way by which you can reach another member indirectly thru the forum moderator or similar fashion?

Jean
Go to Top of Page

Tuicemen

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  09:15:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tuicemen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If the user subscribed to the thread they'll get an email notification of a reply.
The administrator would have access to a members email but it is likely it would go to their junk folder and not get read anyways.
Summer months tend to be a slow time for automation forums anyways and replies can take awhile.
Go to Top of Page

Jean Loyer

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  09:28:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tuicemen,
OK, I'll wait. Thanks

Jean
Go to Top of Page

cnw1518
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  5:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I was able to get my Smarthome software working with the 1132CU on Win7, you install it in compatibility mode. The problem was with the Human Interface USB driver, for this I installed ActiveHome AHP 3.318 via https://www.x10.com/activehome.html I also have the Smarthome software revE in .zip format, but this is NOT the Plus version. I also have a large investment in 2384 switches & have several 1132CU's too. The best part is that you can download into this PLC and do not need to have a computer running.
Go to Top of Page

cnw1518
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  5:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smarthome Manager Essentials Version 5.3.27
AHP Version 3.318 tuiceman software
I am curious if you get this to work on Win10.
Here's a pointer to the USB Human Interface Device driver, have not tried it http://www.driverscape.com/download/usb-human-interface-device
Best to you, keep me posted
Go to Top of Page

Jean Loyer

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  8:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cnv1518,
I had the smarthome PLC and the "Plus" software working in Win7 compatibility mode for many years (still working now on my Win7 computer). I transferred it successfully to another Win7 computer about 2 years ago, which later on was upgraded to Win10 and the smarthome software still worked. That Win10 computer died recently and that's why I am trying to find the software again, as my smarthome disc is damaged.
If I understand you correctly, you are surprised that the 1132 software works in Win10; it might be that the reason it works is that it was transferred in Win7 and then the upgrade to Win 10 left the 1132 software alone.

As to the installation package, I can't find a .msi file for the Smarthome install; I understand from the previous thread (SmartHome software) that djkraven has found it but he didn't answer my post requesting its location there yet. It is a pity Smarthome discontinued the 1132: I understand the replacement Insteon stuff must have the computer running to work.

Thanks for your answer;

Jean
Go to Top of Page

Jean Loyer

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  09:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the Smarthome .msi file on the Win 7 computer. Now have to find a way to install it on Win 10, which does not provide a visible installer, as Win 7 did in the C:\Windows|installer file. Will keep posting.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

Tuicemen

Canada
50 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  09:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tuicemen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You might try opening in safemode.
or google "how to install msi file windows 10"
Go to Top of Page

Jean Loyer

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  10:13:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tuicemen,
Yes, have done the Google thing and will try the method when I have some pressure free time later today or tomorrow. You have to set up administrator privileges on that file thru the Command prompt first, then open the file which may or may not install then (Win 10). will report tomorrow.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

Jean Loyer

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  10:47:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Curiosity kills the cat (?).
Couldn't resist, (heck with pressure anyway), copied the Win 7 .msi file to the Win 10 computer, right clicked on it, clicked install; error message (OS not compatible), clicked on troubleshooting compatibility issues and the install completed successfully.
So, Smarthome is now on my Win 10 computer. Everything looks OK (diagrams, program lists, schedule lists, devices, events, etc...) but I haven't tried to communicate thru it with the PLC yet. As it might not work, I'll wait till I have to communicate to change the schedule, as it might upset the apple-cart by downloading bad stuff to the PLC. May take a while.
Thanks to all for your help. Be glad to help anybody with the same problem if I can. Will report on the PLC connection when I attempt it.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

cnw1518
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  10:59:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update. I never had a problem installing the software in compatibility mode & getting the GUI panel to display. The issue was the USB communication via the human machine interface in Win7 and getting "PLC not connected". I wish you the best and keep us posted if you're able to communicate with the 1132CU, download, change time, etc. I also did a USB port scan, based on the device type was able to ascertain the driver issue.
Go to Top of Page

Jean Loyer

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2017 :  11:26:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cnw1518,
I get it; i am not out of the woods yet. We'll see when I try to connect. Thanks for your help.

Jean
Go to Top of Page

Jean Loyer

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2017 :  3:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cnw1518,
As I just had free time now, i tried to connect the new W10 computer to the 1132 PLC. Expected a struggle to make it work but it went without a hitch; I can do everything thru the GUI: actuating devices, changing schedules, writing new programs with bells and whistles, etc....
So my problem is solved and I don't see why you had problems connecting the PLC and I hadn't.
To summarize what I did, if others want to try it:1) locate the old W7 computer Smarthome .msi file in C:\Windows\Installer (identified by its date of installation provided by the Smarthome icon "Properties"), confirmed by its own "Properties" as a Smartthome manager file (it has a 6 alphanumeric letters random file name) 2) copy that file to the Win 10 computer and click on it. It installs the program in C:\program files (x86) as a Smarthome file, making the GUI available thru the icon it created, 3) connect the PLC to the computer and use the GUI commands.
Good luck to all and thanks to those who posted here, especially cnw1518 and Tuicemen.
Go to Top of Page

jheere
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  8:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Send jheere an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jean Loyer

I wasn't clear. I have had the 1132 for a long time on XP, W7 and W10 and a large investment in X10 modules. I would like to be able to use the smarthome plus (not essential)software on the new W10 computer. I am reasonably handy around computers without being an expert. When I said newbie, I meant new to this forum.

Relatedly, another member of the group (djkraven)seems to have a solution but I don't know how to contact him.

Any help on either of these 2 counts would be greatly appreciated.

Gerard A Heere
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page