Lighting and Appliance Control
 Hum Noise from Landscape Lighting Transformer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KHouse

28 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  2:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I installed some basic landscape lighting (the type you buy at Home Depot or Menards), and looks good, and works great. I have the transformer plugged into the utility room inside my basement, and the lighting cable is ran through a hole in the siding, and outside.

Without being connected to an Insteon device the transformer operates quietly. However, I plugged the transformer into an Insteon On/Off plug-in module and the transformer hums. Tried it in a different outlet and I have the same result.

Any idea why the Insteon On/Off module would make the transformer hum? Any other Insteon device I could use that wouldn't? (Insteon On/Off outlet? (Instead of the plug-in module.)

I'd like to be able to control the on/off of the landscape lights with Insteon (specifically, I utilize and ISY994i and MobiLinc app to control my devices).

The transformer is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C2D8T3M/ref=twister_B01KQC76KS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Plug-In module:
https://www.amazon.com/Insteon-Off-Module-Retail-US/dp/B00O04JCS8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1505336793&sr=8-4&keywords=Insteon+Plug

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10432 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  2:24:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I would expect if it was plugged into a dimmer.

Can you verify the module? Does it have a 2 or 3 prong (grounded) plug? What's the model number on the factory label on the back of the module?

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5636 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  3:23:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2635-292 is the Retail Store model number for the 2635-222 Insteon On/Off module.
It should be fine with a transformer load.

I would check the part number on the unit. To make sure you didn't get a 2632-292 Retail dimmer module of a 2457D2 module in error.
That would cause a HUM when On and possible cause damage to the module or transformer.

Edited by - BLH on 09/13/2017 3:28:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

KHouse

28 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  7:10:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply folks.

It is a dimmer. 2 prong.

LampLinc Dimmer Dual-Band #2457D2

Just to confirm, if I purchased the actual On/Off module (not the dimmer), it should work without the humming?

Thanks again.

Edited by - KHouse on 09/13/2017 7:11:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10432 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  7:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That explains it, that transformer isn't designed to be dimmed.

Swap it with an On/Off module and you should be hum-free.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

KHouse

28 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  10:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great. Thanks for the help!

That brings up another question...

What is the difference between the Insteon Outlet, and the Insteon On/Off Module...or is there any difference?

Are there any pros/cons for either of them?

Obviously the On/Off module is "easier" to install/incorporate since you just plug it in, but replacing an outlet isn't too difficult anyway. Given the choice to replace the outlet with an Insteon outlet, or leave the outlet in place and just use an On/Off module...what is the better choice, or does it even matter?

Edited by - KHouse on 09/13/2017 10:48:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5636 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  03:15:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The outlet has both sockets independently controlled. So you have two outlets to control.
I am not too sure if the ISY firmware was updated to control both outlets. As the older model only had one controlled and one On all the time.
You may want to ask in the ISY forums.
http://forum.universal-devices.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5636 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  05:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found a manual for the 300 watt GL33300 and it was not clear on AC power up settings.

One thing you may want to check.
The transformer you linked to. Has electronic controls.
Check your manual or test it by connecting and disconnecting the 120 Volt AC input.
To see how it powers up. If it stays to what you set it to or defaults to Off.
If cycling the power defaults to transformer Off. Then every time you cycle the On/Off module or On/Off Outlet. The lights transformer would be Off.
You may also want to see if the internal clock also needs resetting after a power cycle of Off to On. If you want to use the timer or astronomical features.

Edited by - BLH on 09/14/2017 05:20:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

KHouse

28 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  6:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again folks. Appreciate the info on the outlet as well as you looking into the transformer.

The transformer is currently set to the SUNWISE mode (basically sunset to sunrise mode). It has ON, OFF, or SUNWISE modes to choose from.

The lights are on outside, and shows SUNWISE mode. I unplugged the unit, waited a few minutes, plugged it back in, and it defaults back to SUNWISE mode, and the lights came back on.

I switched modes to just the ON mode. Unplugged, waited, and plugged-in again. It comes back to the ON mode...so it looks as though it retains the last mode it was in, it doesn't default back to OFF.

The clock did not reset or need resetting after unplugging.

Edited by - KHouse on 09/14/2017 6:45:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5636 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  07:12:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the On/Off Module or Insteon On/Off Outlet should do the trick.
Go to Top of Page

KHouse

28 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2017 :  10:17:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks folks.

I happen to have an Insteon On/Off outlet coming so will try that first. If that doesn't work, I'll pickup the On/Off module.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page