Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frldyz
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2017 :  2:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*1st post

Hi everyone.
So excited I found this forum. It looks fantastic and very helpful.

I need a 2 way ( or 3 way? ) smart light switch that can work with Alexa.

A year ago I started the process of changing out all the lights in the house. I purchased a ton of Wemo smart switches & I love them. Easy to use. Easy to install and easy to use with Alexa.

Here's my dilemma. I have 4 or 5 lights in the house that are controlled by 2 seperate switches.
( ** I think this is called a 2 way switch am I right ? )
The Wemo won't work in this situation.
So last year I swapped every bulb in these lights with LifX bulbs.
I'm not a fan!!! The bulbs and brightness are great. But not easy for me to work with.
*** I'm sure many of you love the bulbs but they just aren't for me.
For me:
1. Not a fan of the app.
2. Not easy to work with Alexa.
3. Correct me if I'm wrong but in order for the wifi on the bulb to work via app. or Alexa one of the switches has to be turned on. And this isn't always the case.

So I'm looking for a switch that will work with Alexa. I believe I read that GE has some Z wave switches that will work in my situation. But I believe I need a Samsung Smart things HUB. ( which I purchased. Still in box ).

Am I on the right track? Are GE Z Wave switches what I need in order to work with Alexa ( via voice ).

Thanks everyone.
Sorry for the long winded post on a simple topic but I appreciate you reading my post.

**** If I end up purchasing GE Z wave switches to address my issue I may have a “ton” of LifX bulbs for sale :)

This past season I purchased 2 GE EZ Smart dimmer (12724 ) switches from amazon.
I thought I read these work with Alexa ( via Samsung HUB ) and are 3 way compliant.
They came in 1 per package.

1) Are these what I need?
2) Or since they are “Dimmer” switches is this not what I want? I could care less if the lights dim or not. So I have no problem getting rid of these and getting the correct switches.
3) Regardless if these are the switches I need. Will I need to replace both switches ( per light ) or just one?

stusviews

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2017 :  5:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are correct. The switches are called 3-way because in a standard installation, they each have 3 connects.

Try these: https://smile.amazon.com/GE-Wireless-Lighting-Three-Way-Packaging/dp/B0035YUOWC?_encoding=UTF8&keywords=3-way%20switch%20alexa&qid=1505693494&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

smarthome112
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  06:24:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit smarthome112's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not an expert but you can try using zapier/IFTTT to makr them work if you are tech savvy

http://ifttt.com
http://zapier.com

http://intelligenthomeblog.com/tech/zapier-vs-ifttt/
Go to Top of Page

Matt_E_Clark
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2017 :  08:16:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Matt_E_Clark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would agree with smarthome112, you should be able to use IFTTT with your SmartThings Hub to set up some conditions for when you want specific connected lights to turn on or off. If you have connected door or motion sensors throughout your home, using those to cue your smart-bulbs would work well.

Also brand new to the forum, looking forward to learning and sharing here!

Matt
konnected.io
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page