Smart Bathroom?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smarthomeNM
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2017 :  3:42:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought my first house last year and have been updating things here and there. Right now, I'm working on my bathrooms...

I'm building shelving for over the toilets, which will have recessed or puck LED lights beneath each shelf. I've also installed some LED strips under the front lips of the vanities for added effect and pathway lighting at night.

I have no windows in my bathrooms, so lots of light is needed. During the day, I'd like to have the under-shelf and vanity lighting on for more light and ambiance. Yet, at night, I'd like to have them dimmed to provide just enough light to use the restroom in the dark.

There's so much tech out there but I can't seem to find what I need... Essentially, I would like accent lights to be on a motion sensor. If triggered at night (or under dim lighting conditions), turn on the lights at 20% brightness. If triggered during the day (or when overhead lights are on), turn on the lights at 100% brightness.

Most local lighting stores have said it simply "can't be done". Others say I would need Lutron's very expensive HomeWorkshttp://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products/Pages/WholeHomeSystems/Homeworks/Overview.aspx solution. Any ideas?

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2017 :  3:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People have been doing similar things for years using Insteon technology and an ISY. The ISY can be programmed to change the dimmer on level settings based on time of day.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3585 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  04:48:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

People have been doing similar things for years using Insteon technology and an ISY. The ISY can be programmed to change the dimmer on level settings based on time of day.

+1

Though this might be a bit expensive for such a limited application, I am confident you will find additional automation opportunities to explore.
Go to Top of Page

smarthomeNM
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  4:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Cost is not a huge concern for me (I say that lightly). This is the first I've heard of the ISY but I'm really liking the possibilities. I'm looking into whether or not it can use multiple inputs (photosensor + motion) to perform the desired logic.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15600 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  7:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The ISY is compatible with Insteon and X10. You can optionally add Z-Wave control as well. You can use any sensor that's compatible with any of those protocols.

All three protocols have devices than can be triggered with anything that has a dry contact switch (e.g., thermostat, humidity sensor, even more) and both Insteon and Z-Wave motion sensors.

In the long run, an ISY is among the best of choices for a DIY home automation network. Neither the internet not a computer is required. You do need a browser, however, to program and/or set-up the ISY, but even that does not require an internet connection.

There are also optional add-ons for off-site control that do require either an internet access or a smart phone. Those are not free.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3585 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  7:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smarthomeNM

I'm looking into whether or not it can use multiple inputs (photosensor + motion) to perform the desired logic.

The short answer is: yes.

Certainly, Insteon has a motion sensor, with light sensor included. Unfortunately, I have lost track of whether it is wholly compatible with the ISY, but believe it to be so. (There seemed to be an issue with smarthome providing interface definitions.)

I use a couple of z-wave motion sensors which I believe also include light and temperature.

Alternatively, standard motion sensors could be integrated with an insteon micro module.

All these parameters can be used in logical statements to trigger events when true or when false, or different events for both.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page