Insteon
 How can I make this work using Insteon?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KHouse

28 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2017 :  8:48:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking for some help and "advanced knowledge" here.

I'm incorporating one set of speakers which will be ran by two music/sound sources.

Source 1 the TV's surround sound system.
Source 2 is a Sonos Connect Amp.

I'm going to utilize this source switch to be able to select between sources. 90% of the time we will be using Source 1 (TV), but on rare occasions we need to be able to press the button and switch it over to Source 2 (Sonos).

Does anyone have any creative ideas on how to make this switch controllable via Insteon? (I'd like to be able to use Insteon so that I can control it with the MobiLinc app and/or my ISY 994i.)

Source switch link:

OEM Systems IW-101 Pro-Wire Source/Speaker Switch, White

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002J1YEU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by - KHouse on 09/25/2017 8:49:30 PM

BLH
Advanced Member

5600 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2017 :  03:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The switch you linked to is a mechanical switch with a push button.
Finding an Insteon solution would probably need a different approach to control the speakers.
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3586 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2017 :  04:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with BLH. I have yet to see an insteon device that can physically press a button.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2017 :  08:23:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you need to replace the mechanical switch with a double pole, double throw relay. Use a SwitchLinc On/off Switch—https://www.smarthome.com/switchlinc-on-off-insteon-2477s-remote-control-switch-dual-band-white.html —to control the relay.
Go to Top of Page

jackman
Average Member

137 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2017 :  08:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you control the source input using an IR remote? I'm thinking there may be an Insteon solution using that approach with something like the 2411T to transmit IR commands.
Go to Top of Page

KHouse

28 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2017 :  3:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks folks.

Any recommendation on what double pole, double throw relay would work?

There isn't really any source input that could be selected by an IR remote. The TV's surround sound system will always be utilizing the 2 speakers in the ceiling. However, when we want them to play music instead, we would press the source selector switch button. This switch isn't (electrical), its just a mechanical switch that allows the sounds to come in from either one source, or the other source, and cuts off the source not selected. So the switch itself doesn't turn on or off any of the sources, it is only connected by speaker wire, and only allows outputs from one source at a time to continue on down the speaker wire to the speakers.

I couldn't think of any way to make an electrical Insteon type item operate the mechanical type of switch needed to basically allow or stop music signal down the speaker lines to go through.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5600 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2017 :  4:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smartenit makes a four relay NO/NC Insteon Module.
I don't know how well it would work for your setup and controller.
Each relay can be controlled independently if needed.
http://smartenit.com/product/iot4r/

Edited by - BLH on 09/26/2017 4:36:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

KHouse

28 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2017 :  4:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you BLH. I will look into it.
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5600 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2017 :  05:11:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In your looking for information.
You may find users with the EZIO40 comments.
It was replaced by the module in the link. Basically the same with a different layout of connections on the output terminal strip.
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2315 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2017 :  9:12:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're still looking for smart home automation solution this *Microbot* may offer it: https://prota.info/ Whether you use the Insteon Hub II or ISY Series Controller the connection will come via IFTTT. I'm not a fan of cloud hosted services but they do offer value in some circumstances.

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page