Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

integraoligist
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2017 :  08:38:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all,

1. I was researching the "best smart home dimmers of 2017" and Insteon was placed last on the list because of the app software it uses. But per my previous post learning about the HUBs... everyone here uses the ISY944 and it's app, so I dont see how their take on it being in last place is relevant as the standard Insteon app may be crap but the ISY (from what I read on here) is great. Plus Insteon is the only dimmers I've seen that have Text written right on each button. What are your thoughts on this?

I've come up with the following shopping list. My question is, is there anything you would change and why?

HUB: ISY944i ZW/IR Pro
ITEM #:12241

Smoke/CO alarm: FIRST ALERT SCO501CN-3ST
ITEM #: 7983
Only need 2 of these as it's a small home.

Thermostat: I'm still up in the air for this one, we're switching from a standard AC/Furnace to a Heat Pump next year so I'm not sure which to get. Thoughts?

Siren: INSTEON SIREN
ITEM #: 2868-222
As this is plugs in to an outlet, I'm not a big fan of it, I'd prefer this in the ceiling in the middle of the home, maybe one outside? As i'm wanting to use this as an intrusion siren only when paired with the door/window sensors.

Door/Window Sensors: Insteon
ITEM #: 2843-222
Are there others that are better for the ISY?

Motion Sensors: INSTEON MOTION SENSOR II
ITEM #: 2844-222
I want these to turn on at night after hitting a "sleep" theme button, and if triggered turn lights on and sound a siren.

Water Leak Sensor: What is the best unit to get?

Garage Door: open/close/notify of position
Already have an older LiftMaster unit, is 74551 the best way to go?

Cabinet Lighting: INSTEON REMOTE CONTROL PLUG-IN ON/OFF MODULE
ITEM #: 2635-222
I'll be installing cabinet lights without a switch... I just want them to turn on/off with a particular scene (not dimmable), and from looking at the options, is the 2635-222 the best way to go?

6-button Dimmers: Insteon
ITEM #: 2334-232
Used for scenes when walking in a room.

Regular Dimmer: Insteon
ITEM #: 2477D
Used for a single light or scene like a closet light

Regular Switch: Insteon
ITEM #: 2477S
Used for bathroom exhaust fans

3. Other then having the keys made from Insteon for each 6-button dimmer... does anyone make their own keys? I've seen some people scratch off the paint so the button is clear then apply a Label Maker sticker. I'm not a fan of this... however, I would really like to have the 1-button stand alone Dimmers and On/Off switches labeled just like the 6 and 8 button units. So a 1 button on/off 2477S would have the text "FAN" on it and so on. Is this possible? What have you guys done?

4. I have Outdoor lights that are wired to a hot line thats outside of the home, they are on the electrical pole just below our Electric Meter. Right now there is just a simple Dusk/Dawn sensor turning them on/off, I want to remove that and wire a dimmer to this, but dimmer would be at the Pole. So the closest dimmer inside the home would be about 40 ft. from the Pole through a exterior Brick wall. Now will the wireless part of a 2477D make it? Or will the Powerline still work even though this is past the homes electrical panel but is actually still on the same system, the dimmer is just between the homes electrical panel and the electrical meter instead of after the electrical panel with all of the other devices?

5. In addition to the outside lights power at the pole, we also have a gate, we will be adding a electric gate opener to, I think they are basically the same operation as a garage door opener? But again, the power would be ran from the electrical pole outside. Would the 74551 be what I would need to use for this? As I'd like to be able to open/close it from a Scene button inside the home.

Thanks again all for the help!

BLH
Advanced Member

5600 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2017 :  10:00:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have not also asked in the UDI Forums.
You may find added information there.
http://forum.universal-devices.com/
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1
Average Member

150 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2017 :  12:05:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your list looks good and I agree with you about the switches. One thing to add, is get the DB version of the ISY package so that you receive the plm and not just the ISY. Personally knocking a switch down based on the app is b.s in my opinion since the article was about switches and not apps that control them. Anyways.....

I use to use the first alert module and it worked great. I was amazed at the speed of the system working. The few times mine went off, my program would run a split second before the alarm sounded. I use nest protect now but that was a decision based off looks when my house was built more than the insteon product being bad.

I would (not many people would recommend) use the system as an alarm. You're setting yourself up. What you're asking for can be done but there are many things that can be done. In short ask yourself what your family's life is worth? Then go out and get a real alarm.

My keypads are etched but my individual switches are not. The way my home is set up, each room has a keypad which controls everything anyway so knowing what the other switches control doesn't matter. (He'll, I don't remember myself half the time). Though expensive, I recommend etching because it gives a low cost product an expensive professional look. It truly ties everything together for the experience.

I use the ecobee3 thermostat because I hate how the insteon thermostat looks. Personally my ecobee does all that I want out the box so I haven't felt the need to program it through the ISY.

Edited by - lilyoyo1 on 09/28/2017 12:06:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

oberkc
Advanced Member

USA
3586 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2017 :  12:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would hold off (perhaps temporarily) on the etched keys. Wait until you design and use your system. If like me, you will find it good to make changes based upon experience. Only after your system (specifically keypads) are stable over time would I spend the money on etched buttons. In the interim, stick labels next to the button. They are easy to change.

Switches are typically not rated for exterior use, but many seem to employ them this way. Make sure they are in weatherproof enclosures. It seems some have good experience over a hundred feet of powerline, but not sure if meter or proximity to transformers would have detrimental impact. I suspect the powerline communication has longer range.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2017 :  2:02:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I fully agree with oberkc, you'll probably want to make some changes as your HA network grows, so hold of on custom etched buttons and paddles for a while. BTW, all of our buttons and paddles are custom etched. It's really a luxurious appearance.

I also agree with lilyoyo1. Insteon is not meant to be a security system. If you really need security, then only a system designed for that purpose will do. If you only need a "wake-up" that someone arrived home, for example, then Insteon is fine. Elk seems best for a DIY security system and it integrates with the ISY.

The latest Insteon Motion Sensors are not fully compatible with the ISY. Insteon leak sensors are.

Oh, the garage door kit should work with your Liftmaster, especially if you have a simple wall module inside the garage.

I'd wait on thermostats until after the HVAC is installed. Ensure that the contractor installs a thermostat cable with enough wires to provide power the the thermostat. Most do nowadays.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

integraoligist
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2017 :  08:42:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for the feedback!

Couple of questions...
Regarding the button etching, I just noticed this on the site:
https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2401clb-6-or-8-button-change-kit-for-keypadlinc-clear.html
Has anyone used these clear buttons, and if so, I'm guessing you would print your label and stick it on from the inside of the button instead of putting on the face (where you physically touch) the button?

Or, how easy is it to remove the white finish off of the buttons that come with the dimmers? As I'm looking to have a 6/8 button keypad directly next to a 1 button dimmer, I'd like for them all to have the same look... and as you can't purchase engraved rocker buttons for the dimmers, would it be easy to remove the white finish from these and add a label just as the 6/8s?

I noticed a few people bought a laser etcher and just etched their own buttons, but I can't seem to find blank stock buttons on the smarthome site. It seems that it would be easier to just remove the white finish and leave the buttons clear then add a label?

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5600 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2017 :  10:02:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The paddles on the SwitchLinc dimmer switches. Are a sold molded color. Not a white face on a clear paddle.
To change the color you buy a different paddle color kit.
Like this Almond color change kit.
https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2400lal-switchlinc-color-change-kit-light-almond.html

Edited by - BLH on 10/18/2017 10:06:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

integraoligist
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2017 :  08:01:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So when you buy the color change kit, those are clear with a color coat on them that we can remove?
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5600 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2017 :  09:56:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No.
The color change kits for the SwitchLinc wall switches.
Are a solid color plasitc frame and paddle. Not clear plastic with a top coating.
They have a few different color replacement kits. Depending on what color you choose.
http://cache-m2.smarthome.com/manuals/2400LAL.pdf

They also have light pipe color change kits for the bargraph LEDs on the side. I have Blue in one with the separate Off LED Red and another one the frosted White LED light pipe.
https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2400l-led-color-change-kit-for-switchlinc-4-color.html

The KeypadLinc custom kit in your link. Looks like it is clear and can be customized.

Edited by - BLH on 10/19/2017 10:01:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

integraoligist
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2017 :  07:27:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are looking to have every single button labeled, the 6/8 keypads as well as the rocker switches... What do you suggest to do with the rocker switches to label them for a professional look?
Go to Top of Page

lilyoyo1
Average Member

150 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2017 :  11:21:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't label them as all. Since you have keypads set those up for controlling the other switches so that they do not necessarily have to be used at all. Everything I do in my home is basically a scene so even though a box may have 4 switches I never use anything but the kpl.
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2017 :  1:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not only are all out KPL button labelled, but so are the paddles. It's really a luxurious look. We went with top, center and bottom labels.

Some suggestions:
TAP ON
HOLD BRIGHT
middle
NAME OF LIGHT
bottom
HOLD DIM
TAP OFF

Go to Top of Page

integraoligist
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2017 :  1:14:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stusviews

Not only are all out KPL button labelled, but so are the paddles. It's really a luxurious look. We went with top, center and bottom labels.

Some suggestions:
TAP ON
HOLD BRIGHT
middle
NAME OF LIGHT
bottom
HOLD DIM
TAP OFF

Do you have any pics? And what did you use to label the paddles, a laser etch printer?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2017 :  2:48:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All labeling, paddles and buttons, was done by SH. No pics just now, main computer died, in the midst of repair and restore.

Go to Top of Page

integraoligist
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2017 :  2:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How were you able to get the paddles etched? I can't seem to find that anywhere on their site, I can only find the 6/8 button custom etching.
Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5600 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2017 :  3:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smarthome use to have custom etched switch paddles.
Right now marked Product is Unavailable
https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2400wc-custom-etched-paddle-for-switchlinc.html

Hope someone can give you an alternate to custom etching SwitchLinc paddles.

Edited by - BLH on 10/21/2017 03:48:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

EVIL Teken
Advanced Member

Canada
2315 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2017 :  3:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In case you needed just white blanks for the KPL's: https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2401bt10-blank-10-button-set-for-keypadlinc-white.html

Teken . . .

Want to make a real difference? Cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/8221-plm-pro
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page