A cool application of INSTEON technology
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1167 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  07:46:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We redid our lawn this year, which means I needed to water all of it every day (I don't have any underground system). I needed 5 sprinklers to cover the lawn, and I have only enough water pressure to run 1-2 of them at a time. So I bought some 24V electric valves (meant for underground systems), hooked them to my hose faucet, and ran hoses from the valves to the sprinklers. I powered the valves with 24V transformers wired to INSTEON Appliance Modules, and controlled it all using Timed Events in Powerhome (my PC-based home-control program).

Cool thing #1 - I have coded Powerhome to access the web (via a Perl script) to get temperature and forecast every 15min, so watering is automatically cancelled if it has rained in the last several hours.

Cool thing #2 - Every week the landscape company cuts the lawn and I have to re-position the sprinklers. Powerhome allows me to create a webpage, accessible on my internal network, with buttons that control events. I created a page with buttons to turn each valve on/off individually. So, when I need to re-position the sprinklers, I head outside with a Kindle Fire Tablet, its browser pointing to the webpage, and I can individually control the valves from the tablet, standing in the middle of my yard.

Ain't Home Automation great?

/j

jackman
Average Member

144 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  08:10:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're gooood!
Go to Top of Page

MariusInMD

15 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  11:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool!