Insteon
 6 button 2486DWH6 V6.2 programming trouble
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GeorgeG

41 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  1:51:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Device was installed into an existing system with a variety of devices and an Insteon hub. Top and bottom buttons operated the load properly. Did an automatic add device, named it and changed the ramp rate. Then added it to a scene that does an all on and all off. Changed my mind. Removed it from the scene, removed the device from the hub, did an air gap factory reset. Top an bottom buttons back to controling load only, Did add a device to hub and the all on and all off was beck again, Two more removals and resets did not change this behavior. Took the other new 2486 V6,2 out of the box, installed it, did add a device with the hub/iphone app and all is well. Top and bottom buttons only control the load, I can see the device in the app/on the hub and there are no additional all on/off functions added.

Why can't I get rid of the all on all off function on the top and bottom buttons of the first identical unit?

Thanks,

George

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  2:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Resetting just the keypad won’t resolve the issue. Links are saved to both the controller and responder devices, so you’ll need to remove the links from the responder devices as well. That should have happened automatically when you followed the on-screen directions in the Hub app while removing the keypad from the scene. Are you using the latest version of the app?

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

GeorgeG

41 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  7:13:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appear to be using the latest app version (1.13.2) for my older IOS (8.1). How do I manually remove the link to the individual responders given that I removed the device from the scene and then the device from the hub?

Thanks,

George
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2017 :  7:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can use the Set button to manually link and unlink devices without using the Hub software. Instructions are in the full owner’s manual at www.insteon.com/support .

To unlink the main On/off button pair from other modules:

Tap the On button to select it;
Hold the Set button in for 6 seconds or so, until the On and Off buttons start to flash, to enter linking mode;
Hold the Set button AGAIN for another 5 seconds to change to unlinking mode;
Tap the Set button to change to multi-unlink mode.

Now, within 4 minutes, hold the Set button on any linked module to unlink. It should flash, then go steady, indicating the link operation was successful.

Multi-unlink mode stops after about 4 minutes, or yo can tap Set once again to exit.

Go to Top of Page

GeorgeG

41 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  07:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tfitzpatri8

You can use the Set button to manually link and unlink devices without using the Hub software. Instructions are in the full owner’s manual at www.insteon.com/support .

To unlink the main On/off button pair from other modules:

Tap the On button to select it;
Hold the Set button in for 6 seconds or so, until the On and Off buttons start to flash, to enter linking mode;
Hold the Set button AGAIN for another 5 seconds to change to unlinking mode;
Tap the Set button to change to multi-unlink mode.

Now, within 4 minutes, hold the Set button on any linked module to unlink. It should flash, then go steady, indicating the link operation was successful.

Multi-unlink mode stops after about 4 minutes, or yo can tap Set once again to exit.

Thanks. two questions:

Does this four minute speed process also work for linking by skipping the second long set button hold?

I take it then that when I originally programmed this keypad on button to be an all on controller for all of my lights that this link does not exist soley in the hub/cloud even though I created it via a scene and not manually linking. That process must have created the "hard" link in the responders as if I had done them all manually. The issue appears to be that when I deleted the scene and the keypad that this is supposed to also reach out to all of the responder light switches and delete those links in the responders and thats were we went wrong. So now even thouigh the scene does not exist and the keypad got a hard reset, as soon as I have the hub discover this keypad again, the responders all go back to linked behavior and now I have to do manual clean up. Do I have that right?

Is there a way to use a computer to see all of these links to verify that new ones were properly created and old ones were properly removed? Can the ISY994 co exist with the hub to do this or does the ISY994 have to completely replace the hub and start all over again to acheive this detailed map monitoring/creating?

Thanks,

George
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  11:50:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeG
Does this four minute speed process also work for linking by skipping the second long set button hold?

Affirmative. See the keypad’s owner’s manual for details on manually linking and unlinking devices.

quote:
I take it then that when I originally programmed this keypad on button to be an all on controller for all of my lights that this link does not exist soley in the hub/cloud even though I created it via a scene and not manually linking.

That’s correct, links created via the Hub are identical to links created using the Hub. Insteon uses a distributed-processing model, where each controller is linked directly to all responder devices. That’s why all your other switches and keypads still work even if a module gets unplugged or the internet goes out.

quote:
The issue appears to be that when I deleted the scene and the keypad that this is supposed to also reach out to all of the responder light switches and delete those links in the responders and thats were we went wrong. So now even thouigh the scene does not exist and the keypad got a hard reset, as soon as I have the hub discover this keypad again, the responders all go back to linked behavior and now I have to do manual clean up. Do I have that right?

Pretty much.

quote:
Is there a way to use a computer to see all of these links to verify that new ones were properly created and old ones were properly removed? Can the ISY994 co exist with the hub to do this or does the ISY994 have to completely replace the hub and start all over again to acheive this detailed map monitoring/creating?

Really, the easiest answer is to follow the manual multi-unlink process I outlined originally.

Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5603 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2017 :  12:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is best and safest to not have a HUB and an ISY994i controlling the same modules.
Each one will not know what links where added by the other controller. Eventually leading to over written links and improper operations.
Many recommend doing a Factory Reset on the modules and starting from fresh when moving from a HUB to an ISY994i.

There are some knowledgeable users with both but they know exactly how to handle them. So they don't mess up the others setup.
Go to Top of Page

GeorgeG

41 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  10:25:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Is there any software that allows me to see what controllers are mapped to what responders with a hub in the system?

George
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  10:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing that supports a model 2245 Hub. Insteon used to sell a windows-based link management software that required its own USB port or serial port and a PLM interface, but they discontinued it a while back.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page