Home Automation Forum

Smarthome Forum
Insteon Home Automation
Login or Register

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ | Smarthome
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Insteon
 Open/Close Sensor - Handshake or redundancy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1167 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  11:32:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - I'm using the 2843-222 Open/Close Sensor to detect when my garage doors are open/closed. I use Powerhome, and so I notice that when it changes state it sends a single Group 1 On (or Off) command, along with a Grp Brdcast Success/Fail message.

The problem is that one time the On/Off command didn't get received (I assume it was sent as the Grp Brdcast Success/Fail was received). So it was lost, as there's no handshake or redundancy.

Given what I know about Insteon, I'm surprised there's no handshake or redundancy here, or some way to poll the sensor (I'm unaware of any way to do this).

Can anyone comment on this?

thanks
/j

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  12:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that software is showing a ‘cleaned up’ signal log, not the raw data. The default way the protocol works, if the transmitter doesn’t get an acknowledgement, it retries multiple times. If interference keeps the signal from getting through, it eventually gives up to avoid killing the battery.

Signal repeat behavior was hard-coded in the early units. In later units, you can change settings with software to make the signal repeats more or less aggressive.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1167 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  12:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - Powerhome typically shows everything, and I normally see the handshakes - I'm thinking this sensor works differently.
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  12:55:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does power home allow you to change the device settings?

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1167 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  1:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I can send it raw Insteon commands.

Note: I'm seeing this on 2 separate sensors, and the RF receiver (one of the units that couples the phases is about 15' away from the unit, so...

[it doesn't look like they make phase coupler pairs any more, I guess I would update to a range extender?}

Edited by - jeffw_00 on 10/06/2017 1:07:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

BLH
Advanced Member

5603 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  1:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you thinking of the 2443 Access Points? Sold single or in a pair.
They have been replaced by the Range Extenders. Have not seen kits of two.
The 2406H passive one for the breaker box is still made.

Modules like the On/Off module and Lamplinc module are dual band. They also act as RF receivers. In fact my Range Extender is a Lamplinc with the dimming parts not installed. Including the same FCC ID Number.
Go to Top of Page

jeffw_00
Advanced Member

1167 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2017 :  1:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes - that was what I was talking about. thanks.

Never mind on the original - right or wrong, this sensor just doesn't re-transmit awaiting an ack. However, it sends the Grp Brdcast Success/Fail only in conjunction with an on/off event, so I coded powerhome such that if it receives a Grp Brdcast Success/Fail and there is no on/off accompanying it, it assumes the sensor changed state. We'll see if that fixes it. I also called SH support - no clue, but supposedly a callback Monday. It's possible this sensor is just a lame design - I talked to them a week or two ago about the fact that it doesn't send a low-battery message.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page