Plug-In Lamp Dimmer stopped working
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeteTheGolfer
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  2:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Send PeteTheGolfer a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It was working fine, now it won't respond to the Insteon app on my iPhone or to Alexa. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and I tried using the Set button, but I never got the double-beep and the light never stopped flashing.

I can control it by the buttons on the side, but that's it.

What should I try next?

Pete

stusviews

USA
15603 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  3:32:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit stusviews's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What do you mean by, "I tried using the Set button?" What specifically did you do? What was the result of each step? Details matter.

Stu's Views is Education and Fun. What do YOU want to VIEW today?
MathLandia High school mathematics learning fun.
Both Stu's Views and MathLandia are free websites that do not sell anything.
Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Please don't PM with questions that can be asked in a forum
Go to Top of Page

PeteTheGolfer
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  4:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Send PeteTheGolfer a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, that was shortcut for going through the setup process as described in the quick setup guide.

Anyway, it turns out that the red light is on at the hub, so none of my Insteon devices are working. I tried unplugging the hub and also tried holding the little button in the back for a few seconds. The light is still red.

Pete
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2017 :  5:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the Hub is no longer connected to the internet cloud service. Are your modem and WiFi router still able to reach other internet sites?

When that happens, you should still be able to adjust devices using other Insteon controllers in the homeóSwitchLincs, KeypadLincs, Mini Remotes, they all communicate directly with other Insteon gear. Only the Hub (and tablets/phones using the Hub) requires a working internet connection.

Volunteer Moderator & Home Automation Enthusiast
Go to Top of Page

PeteTheGolfer
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  08:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Send PeteTheGolfer a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I can still control my bedroom lights with the mini-remote, but not with my iPhone app or with Alexa.

I have no issues with accessing the internet from the same router that the hub is plugged into.

I ran the tests on the hub (by pressing the back button twice, waiting one second, then pressing it once). I did this several times. The first time, it passed all tests (single beep, six times). After that first test, subsequent tests produced no results (no beeps). This is true even after I unplugged/plugged the hub.

Pete
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  09:11:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In order for you to be able to control Insteon devices from your phones/tablets/hub, the Hub has to have a good, 2-way connection to the internet and Insteon cloud service. If the light on the front of the Hub isnít lit up green, it does not have a 2-way connection and it wonít be able to operate.

How is your home LAN set up? Is there a second router or a hardware firewall? Is your routerís DHCP server turned on? Is the Hub affected by any port forwarding rules youíve set?

Go to Top of Page

PeteTheGolfer
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  12:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Send PeteTheGolfer a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have a LinkSys router plugged into my Comcast Gateway. The hub is plugged into the Linksys router. As far as I can tell, the DHCP server is on (it's set as Automatic). I haven't set any port forwarding rules.

Things were working fine a few days ago. I didn't make any changes since then.

Pete
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  1:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is your Comcast Gateway itself a router, does it have multiple Ethernet jacks on it? If so, I believe youíll want to plug the Hub directly into it instead if into your Linksys unit to get a green light.

Go to Top of Page

PeteTheGolfer
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  4:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Send PeteTheGolfer a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It was working for months plugged into the Linksys router, but I tried switching to the Comcast router anyway. No change. I also tried swapping in a new cable, but that didnít help either.

Pete
Go to Top of Page

Tfitzpatri8
Administrator

USA
10407 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  5:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention, did you power everything down for a minute after swapping connections?

If you still donít get a green indicator a few minutes after power cycling, then Iíve got no other suggestions except contact Insteonís tech support. www.insteon.com/support

Go to Top of Page

PeteTheGolfer
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2017 :  5:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Send PeteTheGolfer a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Power cycling didnít help. Thanks for trying. Will contact tech support.

Pete
Go to Top of Page

PeteTheGolfer
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  08:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Send PeteTheGolfer a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just to let you know, Insteon says they will replace my hub for no charge. Nice.

Pete
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page