Insteon
 Alexa loses communications to Hub
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Msradell

58 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  1:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several times per week, usually in late evening our Alexa loses its connection to the Insteon hub. When we say a command to Alexa she comes back and tells us that the hub is not responding. The next morning when I go to check it everything is working again. Needless to say this problem is frustrating especially when we are trying to turn off our bedroom lights after we are in bed.

Is anybody else having this problem? Any idea how to correct this problem or what's causing it?

sjohannsen
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  2:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just want to say, you aren't alone. Happens way too frequently. I solve it by having a mini controller at those places I am not near the switch, or have a phone/tablet with the app nearby. Another wrinkle is that I have 6 Echo devices around. Often one can't talk to the hub, but others can. Now that's bizarre.
Go to Top of Page

Msradell

58 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  2:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess our problem is similar, the Dot we have upstairs is the one that loses communication all the time, the regular Alexa we have downstairs have never lost communications the best we can tell. My wife keeps saying that Dottie is just demented.
Go to Top of Page

Drosenth
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  5:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Had the same problem recently. Kinda gets to be annoying. My fix was to have Alexa "discover" my devices again (works every time). Two ways to do it - go into the Alexa app have go to "Smart Home" and do a discover. This is a pain, so here is the easy/slick way:

"Alexa, discover my devices"

Viola - 20 seconds or so later Insteon is back online with Alexa. Let me know if this works for you.

Enjoy,
DaveR
Go to Top of Page

Msradell

58 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2017 :  5:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, the "Discover My Devices" command is not fixed my problem because the hub itself is not responding. I tried that several times and it never worked. If I go to the app itself on my laptop I can get to responded everything is working fine again but when we have the problem most often is when we are getting ready for bed and went to turn the better myself. In that case a laptop is not readily available.
Go to Top of Page

dwoliver9
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2018 :  09:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Send dwoliver9 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This worked, thanks for posting!
David O.

quote:
Originally posted by Drosenth

Greetings,

Had the same problem recently. Kinda gets to be annoying. My fix was to have Alexa "discover" my devices again (works every time). Two ways to do it - go into the Alexa app have go to "Smart Home" and do a discover. This is a pain, so here is the easy/slick way:

"Alexa, discover my devices"

Viola - 20 seconds or so later Insteon is back online with Alexa. Let me know if this works for you.

Enjoy,
DaveR

David O.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Smarthome Forum © 2000-2017 Smartlabs, Inc Go To Top Of Page